Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Victoria 2 Thread  (Read 61226 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2: The Fascist Republic of Texas, anyone? Released on August 13th.
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2010, 01:25:49 am »

Yeah, minor powers are fun and I have quite a bit of fun with Greece.  But for some reason, Austria always ends up intervening to protect the Ottoman empire from my attempts to free the Balkans. 
How do you do that? I've managed to make Greece a 'Great Power' (what a joke!) through culture by 1950, and I got Aegan Islands from Egypt (in a fluke- the Ottomans destroyed their fleet which was at the moment blocking half of my harbors). But the country seems to have no population to speak of, so I can't conquer (I've had my butt kicked by smallish uncivilized countries) or even industrialize really. Any advice?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2010, 02:19:14 am »

Use prestige to get an early score boast and you might crack the top 8.  Either research the aesthetics tech right off the bat or don't research anything and save your RP's up for the philosophy tech as soon as it becomes available.  If you are lucky, the inventions will give you the full 60 prestige.  As a second tech, you might want to go for the aesthetics tech or pick up ideological thought, which will give you a lot of research speed boosting plurality.

You can conquer Crete quickly if you strike while the iron is hot.  Egypt can't afford it's starting navy and disbands most of it.  Wait for them to lose most their ships, then declare war and land a an army on crete to occupy the island.  Don't fight any battles, you probably wont win.  Instead just occupy crete and wait for them to give up.

Before occupying crete, you might want to consider going to war with Tunis.  It's pretty gamey, but you can take them from the start if you can buy a few more transports and you go to war with them before France does.

Before starting these wars however, you might want to consider intentionally losing a few wars against random backwards nations.  Declare a war to humiliate them, then offer them peace a month later.  It will evaporate your starting prestige down to zero, but give your population enough militancy to pass the healthcare reforms.  The healthcare reforms are massively overpowered in vanilla and it's practically cheating to use them.  Get full healthcare reforms and watch your population boom!

It's possible to take down the ottomans if they've already exhausted themselves against the russians, just don't declare war too soon.  Also keep in mind that the army techs are quite unbalanced.  The first few tactics bonuses are awesome.  It's possible to bloody them pretty badly once you know what you are doing.  If you can win one war against the ottomans and take thessaly, you will gain a lot of soldier pops and have a much easier time in your second war with them... assuming Austria doesn't come to their rescue.

Long term though, your biggest problem is your crappy literacy.  Always have max education spending and use clergy NF's.  I think it helps to avoid early industrialization or high military spending, because they might divert people from converting to clergy.   It might say there is a zero percent chance of promoting to clergy, but they'll still do it if they have nothing better to promote to.  Don't rest on your laurels if you get 2% of your population to clergy.  You are so backwards that you are going to need at least 4 and hopefully 6 percent as clergy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2010, 08:12:02 am »

I'm working on a large Victoria 2 project.  I started with the USA; now each of the fifty states have country data and can become independent nation-states.  This allows for a real "Divided States" scenario rather than simply the scripted Civil War.  Here are a couple pics.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I finished all the states (Texas and California are already there), plus the District of Columbia and Long Island.  I'm next shooting for a few hypothetical states such as Lakota, Cascadia or Aztlan.  The Indian Wars and involved nations such as the Sioux and Seminoles should be added as well.

There are still kinks to work out, but I hope to have a downloadable release soon.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »

Neat.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2010, 05:58:21 pm »

Sorry about the necro, but when I'm playing as the US(or really anyone) I ALWAYS go into a deficit. I can't find the source of it. Any ideas?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »

Sorry about the necro, but when I'm playing as the US(or really anyone) I ALWAYS go into a deficit. I can't find the source of it. Any ideas?
You're a country in the modern age, having a deficit is no problem. Just chill with your minor debt for a while until the economic cycle goes back to the high side.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »

I have this game. I have not installed it yet though.
I'm working on a large Victoria 2 project.  I started with the USA; now each of the fifty states have country data and can become independent nation-states.  This allows for a real "Divided States" scenario rather than simply the scripted Civil War.  Here are a couple pics.

I finished all the states (Texas and California are already there), plus the District of Columbia and Long Island.  I'm next shooting for a few hypothetical states such as Lakota, Cascadia or Aztlan.  The Indian Wars and involved nations such as the Sioux and Seminoles should be added as well.

There are still kinks to work out, but I hope to have a downloadable release soon.

That is pretty sweet. Is their anyway to turn them into something akin to the holy german empire? They are all conected but not as formally as most places?

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2010, 09:06:14 pm »

Minefield's pack is beautiful.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2010, 09:50:38 pm »

You're a country in the modern age, having a deficit is no problem. Just chill with your minor debt for a while until the economic cycle goes back to the high side.
Yea, that's the thing though. It's a 50/50, I'm in deficit one day and the next I've got currency out the ass.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »

Yea, that's the thing though. It's a 50/50, I'm in deficit one day and the next I've got currency out the ass.
Your main expense is probably your stockpile, lower it or don't build too much stuff, I guess. Also, check on those indusrial subsidies, and stop subsidizing completely failing factories. Last economic advice would be setting poor taxes to 100% at the beginning, since you actually only tax around 30% efficiency at the start of the game.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2010, 07:57:58 am »

That is pretty sweet. Is their anyway to turn them into something akin to the holy german empire? They are all conected but not as formally as most places?

Thanks  :)  Something like that may be possible with AI scripts or custom events, but it'd be far beyond me, at least for now.

Try downsizing your navy?  The stockpile costs for a navy are high, especially at wartime.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:09 am »

Try downsizing your navy?  The stockpile costs for a navy are high, especially at wartime.

Before downsizing your navy, which is expensive to reverse, I'd suggest that you set the purchase orders for clippers and steamers to manual and then set that number very low.  That way you can set your navy to a very limited budget without actually destroying it. The ships wont sink on their own as long as they stay close to home.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »

so i just got back into this because of this thread and reading the 1.2 patch notes.

played as Austria and im currently going to war every other month when i get cassiuus belli against prussia ^_^

only problem is France has insane power to raise troops, and France just allied with prussia, and i did not notice this in my last war declaration...

I go and pretty much since Prussia has become small and unamazing, i sweep across prussia and their 15 allies, until i get near france then suddenly all hell breaks loose, france unleashes 60 divisions of men on me! oh god, my 65 divisions of men are swept back nearly to prewar borders, then i begin pushing france back, slowly but surely winning battles soundly till im back to frances borders again.

Then France mobilized :( I had been doing regular wars with Prussia for the last 30 years, and my standing army was all of 30 divisions strong since i tend to kill off all my soldiers  >:(.

France Mobilized something like 250 divisions of men and they all start sweeping in on me all over again, but oh god france offers me peace with half of the war goals i set, and i take it.

phew. crazy game. All is well in austria, half of my troops are stuck over in france since i declared peace and they cant get home :/ Frances fleet of 250 ironclad ships raped my 75 ship fleet of man o wars. :(

I disband them since i dont really care (have huge money supply just short on manpower!)

then suddenly, a rebellion arises in 3/4 of my nation and i have all of 10 units to fight like 250 rebelling units with, arghghgh

Im so screwed.

I dont understand how rebellions work or uprisings whatever, i have low taxes on all my people, i make huge money from my factories.

also it may be war weariness or something but i dont know where to check that ^_^
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:41:48 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2010, 09:33:14 pm »

I don't know about the rebellion system, either. Mind giving me a map of europe in your game to get an idea of how much you conquered?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:12 am »

What type of rebellion they are matters A LOT.
For instance, let's say you have Jacobin Rebels, you ought to institute some political reforms. When you mouse over reforms and it says 'x% of the population wants this reform', find whichever one has a large percent of people and enact it, as in most cases that's what the jacobins are fighting for.
For instance, I once played a game as the USA, and sought a policy of gradual abolition. I defeated the Confederacy with no problem and didn't issue the emancipation proclamation, instead waiting to actually have a majority in congress to be fair. Sometime in the 1880's I had a massive jacobin revolt of abolitionists and just said oh well and abolished slavery. a million rebels was reduced to about 10 brigades at the end of the month.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15