Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Victoria 2 Thread  (Read 61256 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2: The Facist Republic of Texas, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 11:46:57 pm »

Did I mention you can play as any country in the world?

You don't. The game developer has stated that he will not model many African nations out of a belief that those nations aren't really that important.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 12:22:54 am »

Hmmmm
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 12:27:02 am »

Did I mention you can play as any country in the world?

You don't. The game developer has stated that he will not model many African nations out of a belief that those nations aren't really that important.

For some reason, this statement enrages me. NOT IMPORTANT?! EVERY BLOODY COUNTRY, NATION, TRIBE, COLLECTIVE, IMPERIUM OR HIVE IS BLOODY IMPORTANT! *Ahem* Sorry.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 12:51:38 am »

I've gotta say, places like Swaziland are far less important in the run of history than important places like Luxembourg or Lithuania.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:43 am »

I think it's not that you will see the african countries and be unable to play as them, but that the land will just be uncolonized. If it's the former I'll be enraged.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 01:10:45 am »

Better that we pretend they never existed, true.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 04:42:01 am »

A dev stated they weren't going to include African 'states' that were 'basically conquered by 12 guys with a machine gun' and said the colonisation model reflects this better when the land is empty.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:27 am »

Pre-order is up on gamersgate, I'm tempted to buy it right now..

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:54 am »

A dev stated they weren't going to include African 'states' that were 'basically conquered by 12 guys with a machine gun' and said the colonisation model reflects this better when the land is empty.

He's got a point. As much as I hate to say this, when a regiment of the King's Finest shows up on the soil of a tribal society armed with spears and bows, it's pointless to take the time to model that. Now, I do unlike the fact that no matter what, Non-white nations (except for Japan) cannot "win" the game. They cannot become the most prestigious or the most glorious at the end of the game. :(.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 09:35:26 am »

Yeah if I remember correctly to colonise somewhere you need to:

be in naval range from it
the life rating is high enough (this limit is lowered through technology)

Then you place a national focus in the state and build influence. When you have enough influence you can claim the area. You can also gain influence by stationing troops there.

@inteuniso: I suppose it is more realistic. No more uber civilised china any more.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the game's almost here. I preordered it, but I'm surprised so few are interested. Nonetheless, if you preorder on Gamersgate, you get to read the manual/listen to the music ahead of time. Yay me. Another trailer was released, as well. It's a shame that it had to show the actual game, I would've more enjoyed it show Abe Lincoln team up with Sam Houston and Ulysses S. Grant to fight the endless zombie confederate hordes.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-V2PRE/victoria-ii-pre-order-bundle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXnr8pwXOM

He's got a point. As much as I hate to say this, when a regiment of the King's Finest shows up on the soil of a tribal society armed with spears and bows, it's pointless to take the time to model that. Now, I do unlike the fact that no matter what, Non-white nations (except for Japan) cannot "win" the game. They cannot become the most prestigious or the most glorious at the end of the game. :(.
Nope, they just have to "civilize". After they do that, they have a shot. At least, I'm hoping they do. It'd be a shame if they didn't. I will install any sort of mod that betters the situation in Africa, though. At least it lets you play as more countries than in most strategy games, if that counts for anything.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:58:30 pm by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 10:02:10 pm »

Too bad many African nations were more than just javelin throwers and hut dwellers.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 10:07:27 pm »

Too bad many African nations were more than just javelin throwers and hut dwellers.
Which nations in sub-saharan africa at the start of the period were? I can't think of any other than Ethiopia and the bunch in south africa.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

Nope, they just have to "civilize". After they do that, they have a shot. At least, I'm hoping they do. It'd be a shame if they didn't. I will install any sort of mod that betters the situation in Africa, though. At least it lets you play as more countries than in most strategy games, if that counts for anything.

Only Japan can westernize, as previously stated. Other countries are SOL.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile

I'm somewhat looking forward to this, but I won't be buying it for a while.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15