Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Victoria 2 Thread  (Read 61151 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2 Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2020, 01:04:31 pm »

Not sure what Vicky's engine is like, but adding provinces is always a plus-- more land divisions usually result in more interesting/changing national borders.

Possibly modelling a resurgent HRE through events could be an interesting idea too.

It's been a long ass while since I've played, but the only other things I thing irked me back when I was doing my Japan and Sweden->Scandinavia runs was how undynamic RGOs were. There were randomizers or alternate start kind of things, but it would be interesting to add something more... dynamic?

Overfarming destroys crops, forests slowly disappear, mines deplete, etc. etc. you could also restore these resources at a cost.

I'm not really sure what else could be done without some serious scripting. Great War combat tends to be... strange (cue battles in random chokepoints involving millions of men)? Maybe you could also find a way to better represent the disparity between tactics and technology by the late game?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2020, 05:19:01 pm »

I have but one request. Please do not fall into the trap of railroading the player like so many major Victoria 2 mods do (*cough* HPM). Also, giving the splinter states (CSA, Heavenly Kingdom, etc) actual armies instead of having them start with nothing may be a good idea.
TPG is bae nation. I have probably played them more than any other country in all of Vic2

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2020, 10:09:54 am »

I highly recommend playing as the Ottomans and giving access to all countries at war. It changes everything when Europes armies are fighting all of Asias armies and Africas armies without having to be transported first. Its the end wars are amazing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2021, 02:42:22 pm »

I hate to necro this thread but I am running into too many questions, and don't want to spam the Vic3 thread, and the paradox discord is silent.

1) I thought I would do a quick war for a little prestige through humiliation. But when I was about to declare war, it seemed to say that it would cost me 26 prestige just to declare the war. And I can only gain 5 prestige from it.

Does this just make the Humiliate war useless?

2) Anyone know what happens to surplus good from factories? I'm only selling about half of the fabric I'm producing, but don't see the other half accumulating in my stockpile. Don't tell me it just disappears...

3) Some of my POPs just don't seem to be making any money (mainly craftsmen). I look up a POP that has no needs met, and they also have no income, yet they are craftsmen with 0% unemployment. They are working in a factory, so they should have SOME income, no?

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2021, 04:11:17 pm »

1. Dont know about humiliation CB, but it seems to be for lowering target prestige, not raising yours??
2. Yep, it dissapears. RGO goods get adjusted production so it always produces just the right amount (unless there is a shortage), but industrial goods are either used up immidietly or dissapear.
3. Job with no salary is as good as no job. If the factory cant sell its stuff and you have no minimum wage set they will not get paid and thus have no money despite being employed. They get paid portion of the factory profits I think... And if it is less then minimum wage then minimum wage.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 05:05:33 pm by Mkok »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2021, 05:43:41 pm »

Winning battles also yields prestige.

EDIT: Appreciate the necro Micro102, you are getting me interested in playing this fine game again!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2021, 06:08:59 pm »

I ended up going to war with a great power, and noticed that I couldn't take out a loan. Are loans just blocked during war?

1. Dont know about humiliation CB, but it seems to be for lowering target prestige, not raising yours??
But it would lower my prestige more than it would lower theirs. They would only lose 10.

EDIT: Ragequitting because France protected Sardinia-Piedmont and Papal States so I (two sicilies) couldn't annex anything until Sardinia-Piedmont became Italy. Anyone know of some fun nations to play as?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:06:36 pm by Micro102 »

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2021, 04:02:37 am »

I ended up going to war with a great power, and noticed that I couldn't take out a loan. Are loans just blocked during war?
I think there is a limit on how much in debt you can go, but it should not be related to being at war other than probably not being able to borrow from the enemy (money does not magically appear out of thin air when borrowing, it only magically dissapears when paying interest).

I like to play as Japan, very strong nation upon westernization, no natural enemies, easy defending from infamy wars, not too many regions to manage industry with planned economy, relatively easy westernization with events/decisions...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2021, 10:21:25 am »

I think there is a limit on how much in debt you can go, but it should not be related to being at war other than probably not being able to borrow from the enemy (money does not magically appear out of thin air when borrowing, it only magically dissapears when paying interest).

I like to play as Japan, very strong nation upon westernization, no natural enemies, easy defending from infamy wars, not too many regions to manage industry with planned economy, relatively easy westernization with events/decisions...

You can't take out loans if there isn't enough money to loan you, as Mkok says. Since the many of the Country AIs for balancing budgets tend to be semi-broken, this is a common occurrence. However, you can just run a deficit and game will generally let you just keep racking up debt.  You just can't buy anything that requires cash on hand.

Japan is basically the tutorial for westernization.  In my game, they reached Great Power status in the 1880s.  They westernize easy (relatively high literacy, plus the events as mentioned).  While China is even stronger when it westernizes, under AI control it generally takes the whole game for them to do so.  And the Great Powers might have carved them up a bit in the process.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2021, 02:08:26 pm »

Well I had 0 loans taken out, so unless the entire world was out of money, I don't see why I couldn't get a loan.

As for Japan, that was the only other game of Victoria I've played. It was fun until I realized what a mess China was. I invested heavily into them but then discovered that large chunks of them aren't influenceable, and they have infinite rebellions that reset them all the time. It seems that the best way to play Japan is to eat all of China and then westernize so you get all the population there with none of the rebellions. It's like they just slapped a bandage on the massive gaping wound that is China's overwhelming population.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2021, 05:33:41 pm »

It is actually possible for the entire world to run out of money. Basically if money starts accumulating somewhere, either national treasury, or poor POPs that make consistently more than they spend. I think someone was able to reliably reproduce it by westernizing some specific small country. I believe the idea was that it was a country making lots of opium, so even without being in SOI and poor prestige farmers would still be exporting, but due to poor prestige and non-existing industry in said country they could not spend the money. And as money is finite (it is produced by gold mines), and prices are not adjusted according to inflation, it resulted in said farmers having so much of the worlds cash noone else had enough to afford their needs, thus making industry unable to sell their goods, thus crashing the entire economy. Basically there was not enough cash in the world for anyone to buy anything so the economy grind to a halt.

And money paid on loan interest dissapears as well, so if there is too much debt in the world, money can run out as well apparently.

But I never encountered this in either of my games, so I do not know how likely it is for this to happen on its own.

And yeah, influencing china is near immpossible, and apparently you dont want to do it anyway as they have a lot of artisans, so they could flood your market with their goods even before westernization. But you can either ignore them and go for other countries (a rubber monopoly can make you filthy rich once electronics and cars come into play), or you can conquer china for huge population gains. As for rebelions you have to pass reforms, in my last warmonger Japan game I had zero rebellions before I decided to become communist and forbade elections. Apparently POPs in Vic2 care more about ability to vote then the fact that they literally had everything else, including huge pensions (I modded them to be 5 times higher than vanilla), and very low taxes.  :-\ not to mention that laisez-faire would have crashed my economy, as several of my factories grew so large in order to provide employment to POPs that they were only barely profitable and so would go bankrupt without subsidies...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:37:42 pm by Mkok »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2021, 03:45:47 pm »

IIRC part of the reason the game runs for 100 years is that not long after that, the economy is almost guaranteed to fall apart due to money vanishing or getting tied up in pops that can't spend it.

Which is a shame, I'd have loved to do Victoria through to the end of the cold war.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2021, 05:08:51 pm »

I hope Victoria 3 doesn't dumb down the game, and rather solves all the problems while keeping all the complexity.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2021, 01:52:02 am »

I'm playing as Russia and the Ottomans just reduced my influence from friendly to hostile because of France claiming Jerusalem or something... Is this an event to stop Russia from easily bringing the Ottomans into their SoI, or is the AI just capable of pulling entire black holes of bullshit out of their asses?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2021, 05:19:40 pm »

IIRC part of the reason the game runs for 100 years is that not long after that, the economy is almost guaranteed to fall apart due to money vanishing or getting tied up in pops that can't spend it.

Which is a shame, I'd have loved to do Victoria through to the end of the cold war.
I wonder how much of this problem could be solved by just allowing national banks to keep issuing loans provided the interest payments are kept. This way even with bankruptcies the international supply of sterling would continue to increase commensurate to demand
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15