Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Blackspire: Worldgen/Embark site so good I've got to share

(1/3) > >>

ChickenLips:
Alright, this may be my inexperience speaking, so if it's not nearly as good as I'm making it out to be, oh well.

But if it is...  Oh the joy.

DOWNLOADABLE PREGENERATED VERSION HERE (requires Ironhand graphics set)

I stumbled across what seems to me an incredibly awesome layout, and a rather unique one.

It's a savage neutral shrubland/mountain region, split in half between the biomes, with a somewhat-sheer cliff between two relatively flat areas.  There are two rivers streams running through but not joining: one on the higher cliff side, and one 6 z-levels down on the other side.  So waterfall potential galore.  But what's really nice and unique is that the lower stream cuts through the area occupied by the higher cliff (about 6 z-levels), making for three beautiful and spacious somewhat-roomy canyon spires, on which my embark site is precisely centered.

As genned, the site has major limestone layers, it lacks native aluminum (so beware native-aluminum-loving nobles).  It also has sand for glassworks -- pretty much everything except for alignment-differentiated plants (though I've been trying to regen it with different settings to try and get alignment diversity in that area without changing the lay of the land).  No aquifer.  No horribly difficult wildlife (sigh).

Anyway, again, it may be my inexperience in the game talking, but it's really incredible and unique -- great for a castle tower and easily-made waterfall (the higher stream).  I'll put a few screenshots below.

Original Site (5x5, northernmost)

Level 149
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Level 148
Level 146
Level 144
Embark Location

Alternate Site 1 (5x5, slightly moved 2 tiles south)

Level 149
Level 148
Level 146
Level 145
Level 144
Embark Site

NOTES FOR USE: Note that I use a 5x5 embark location.  If you use an alternate size, obviously you may need to do some adjusting to get it relatively centered.  Unfortunately, though, it's on the edge of its map tile, so there's only so much site-size-modification flexibility you've got without de-centering it on the spire.

It may also be nice to note that this location is naturally highly defensible, as the map is split by the streams.  When I played through it the first time, the demonic lawgiver of the goblins joined in their siege, plopped himself in the river waiting, and met a suitable doom when the freeze encased him in ice.  But be prepared for immediate buzzard swarm attack when you start.

I might also note that there is a...  spike...  of something very special...  that sticks up fairly high through the z-levels, and is sure to bring much joy.

I'm still tinkering with other settings to try to regen the world to get savage good/evil biome somehow in there without altering the layout.  If anyone finds the map as likable as I do, and happens to succeed at this, please do share the settings you found got some good/evil biome in there.

EDIT: FURTHER NOTES FOR USE

If it's genning properly for you, you should see two map rejects immediately, and then shortly after river/mineral generation, it should go up to 13 rejects, then gen to completion.  The name should be Ramul Kisnost.

If you move the embark site one tile to the south of the location shown above, you get a really nice waterfall where the two streams adjoin -- I actually find I like it better, so that's my stock recommendation now.

WorldGen Parameters
Spoiler (click to show/hide)[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:BLACKSPIRE]
   [SEED:28741]
   [HISTORY_SEED:28741]
   [NAME_SEED:28741]
   [CREATURE_SEED:28741]
   [DIM:257:257]
   [EMBARK_POINTS:1274]
   [END_YEAR:1050]
   [BEAST_END_YEAR:300:80]
   [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
   [ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
   [RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
   [TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
   [DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
   [SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TITAN_NUMBER:33]
   [TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
   [DEMON_NUMBER:52]
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
   [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:12]
   [PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
   [COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
   [VOLCANO_MIN:4]
   [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:252:1:1]
   [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:252:1:1]
   [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1008:3:2]
   [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2016:2:2]
   [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2016:1:1]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:63:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:126:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2016:3:2]
   [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2016:3:2]
   [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
   [RIVER_MINS:100:100]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
   [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
   [SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
   [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
   [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
   [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:40]
   [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:76000]
   [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:33000:4032:2016]
   [RAIN_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]

Ricky:
im not gonna use it but a good idea

if the top river flows from the south to the east, divert the stream to the other stream and make a waterfall

ChickenLips:

--- Quote from: ricky on July 13, 2010, 04:41:37 pm ---if the top river flows from the south to the east, divert the stream to the other stream and make a waterfall

--- End quote ---

Yes, that is what I was implying.  Though I'm not sure which way the higher stream runs.

denito:

--- Quote from: ChickenLips on July 13, 2010, 04:35:56 pm ---Alright, this may be my inexperience speaking, so if it's not nearly as good as I'm making it out to be, oh well.

--- End quote ---

The neat thing about sharing Dwarf Fortress terrains is even if what you've found isn't record breaking on any objective measures, it's still going to be just right for somebody.

ChickenLips:
Indeed!  This one was sure a lot of fun for me.

By the way, can anyone tell me or point me to information about which worldgen settings can and cannot be altered without affecting the actual lay of the land?  I know I changed a couple of seemingly unrelated things (savagery weights and something else), and that seed yielded a totally different landscape.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version