Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: How realistic worldgen really is  (Read 41109 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How realistic worldgen really is
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2010, 01:27:35 pm »

Of course, even if you ignore all those small equitorial nations and the Carribean island nations, there's still also Mexico.  (Which is an evil place filled with people who want to sneak across the border just to have babies so that they can do the most evil thing in the world - be American while not being white!)

Ahh...Anchor Babies.  What will the republicans think of next?

(What I think would be really funny is if instead of the Repubs taking back the house and senate is if they lose all of the seats they have that are up for grabs and not get any back from the other side.  But I know it won't happen, Americans are too dumb).

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »

Of course, even if you ignore all those small equitorial nations and the Carribean island nations, there's still also Mexico.  (Which is an evil place filled with people who want to sneak across the border just to have babies so that they can do the most evil thing in the world - be American while not being white!)

Ke?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2010, 01:53:51 pm »

Ke?

I assume you are referring to the Mexico part of that sentence (and the proper spelling is "que?" if you're using the Spanish word).

Please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2010, 04:35:03 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

This article is badly out of date. We call them "Terror Babies" in America now.

Also, little known fact: Canada is in fact part of Europe, and doesnt sully America with it's fauz bacon. Everything south of Texas is geographically part of Africa. That's why it's okay to say America when refering to America, because America is the only country in America. People that say "the Americas" are just liburl revisionists.
Signature goes here.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2010, 04:52:14 pm »

OK, we've had our fun, but this is going WAAAAAAY off the rails, now...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2010, 06:07:31 pm »

Yeah, and besides, we have yet to do Africa, Asia, Australia, Antartica, and Earth as a whole.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »

Yeah, and besides, we have yet to do Africa, Asia, Australia, Antartica, and Earth as a whole.

My to-do list: South America, Africa, Asia.

Europe and Australia were done, but I think Australia is in another thread :P
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2010, 08:07:02 pm »

Since we're DF fans, the only option is to take it Up To Eleven. And by that, I mean we should try to make worlds emulating terraformed versions of other planets and moons.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »

Since we're DF fans, the only option is to take it Up To Eleven. And by that, I mean we should try to make worlds emulating terraformed versions of other planets and moons.

... Mars. 

We could go all Negima and make Mars into an inhabited planet.

Then we need to make all sorts of beastman civs...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »

Am I seeing Michigan physically connected to Canada here? The Detroit River is basically a strait rather than a river. Hence the name.

And it would be cool if Detroit had a lot of salt in the area in DF.

Also, there are mountains in the northern UP of Michigan, so I want Dwarves instead of Yoopers.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2010, 10:01:42 pm »

Am I seeing Michigan physically connected to Canada here? The Detroit River is basically a strait rather than a river. Hence the name.

And it would be cool if Detroit had a lot of salt in the area in DF.

Also, there are mountains in the northern UP of Michigan, so I want Dwarves instead of Yoopers.

It is actually very hilly, I have mountains up there but they get eroded pretty good, either way it ends up being elfland.

Very narrow straits are hard to do. The heightmap has it, but everything gets softened up in world gen.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2010, 10:11:06 pm »

Maybe turn off erosion?  After all, erosion is already a part of the heightmaps of the real world.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2010, 11:06:45 pm »

Maybe turn off erosion?  After all, erosion is already a part of the heightmaps of the real world.

I count on erosion to smooth and vary the terrain of my heightmaps. Worldgen is a pretty complicated process, so I let it do as much as it can to help me.

The heightmaps I use are modified to work well with worldgen. I trace out the Oceans on a topographic map, using 2 shades of gray(#000000,#222222) to denote the abyss and continental shelves. Then I trace over the topography of the plains with 3-5 shades (Between #333333 and #777777). I add hills and mountains on top of this in the appropriate areas. I use one shade for hills (#999999), and 3 shades of mountains(#BBBBBB, #DDDDDD, #FFFFFF).

Once I have done this, I paint the river valleys on another layer with #888888 gray fading into transparency, and use color combination effects to mask this to the heightmap layer to get broad river valleys that will keep major rivers on the right course. The last thing that I do is to slap a 5 pixel gaussian blur on everything, then resize it to 257x257 and save it as an 8-bit bitmap.

In perfectworld, after importing the bitmap, you adjust the "% Below Sea Level" and "% Below Tree Level" to make sure the oceans and mountains are at the correct heights. Perfectworld will take care of assigning elevations from 0 and 400, with the standard sea level being 100, and anything over 300 being mountains (I think). I also spend a lot of time fiddling with the elevation map in perfect world to fix errors in geography.

Peaks only appear on #F mountains, and standard worldgen parameters will erode small sections of #B mountains to hills while still allowing lots of rivers to start there.

This keeps everything looking like it should, with real-life mountains and hills corresponding to their equivalents in DF.

There. Quick tutorial on making quick-and-dirty heightmaps. This makes fictional worlds much easier as well, as you can simplify the plains down to 2 or 3 levels, and bang out a heightmap in no time at all. (After I had figured out the correct shades of gray to use, it took 15 minutes to make the North America heightmap I used.)

I do all of this in Paint.Net, because it is free and makes layers easier to use than Gimp does.

Edit: Added some steps I forgot. Oops!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:14:23 pm by Shagomir »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »

Hmm... I guess I'm talking out of my league of expertise, then...

Still I would think it pretty seriously cool if you could do Mars / Mundus Magicus from Negima (which is supposed to be an alternate version of Mars with oceans and life)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.space4case.com/mmw/pages/space4case/mars/mars-images-2001.php

In order to make it Mundus Magicus, you have to flip it vertically (look at the "J" shaped dark blue spot near the mountains on the right side of the picture, and you'll see it on the Mundus Magicus map)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:51 pm »

Hmm... I guess I'm talking out of my league of expertise, then...

Still I would think it pretty seriously cool if you could do Mars / Mundus Magicus from Negima (which is supposed to be an alternate version of Mars with oceans and life)

http://www.space4case.com/mmw/pages/space4case/mars/mars-images-2001.php

In order to make it Mundus Magicus, you have to flip it vertically (look at the "J" shaped dark blue spot near the mountains on the right side of the picture, and you'll see it on the Mundus Magicus map)

This is very doable. Obviously, the Vastitas Borealis would be underwater, as would Hellas and Argyre Basins, but if I could get the level of detail right on the Heightmap for the Noctis Labyrinthus and Valles Marineris, it would be amazing. This would be one to set the heightmap for and turn erosion off, because I want a 300 Z-level cliff for the walls of Melas Chasma.

Small aside: It would also be fun to (if possible) make a mod where it was very, very cold outside (to simulate vacuum as it would similarly cause "dwarfs" caught outside to die) and there were no outdoor plants, and you had to build an underground colony to survive. Maybe dome over a crater with clear glass for a megaproject?

Oh. My. Goodness. Someone start a thread for "Martian Outpost" right now so I can sperg out on modding raws and heightmaps. :D

Or, you know, if this has already been done, I want in.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9