Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New victim errr... player  (Read 4505 times)

Sober Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New victim errr... player
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:40:57 pm »

So after hearing about Dwarf Fortress on a few other boards I decided to check it out.  I heard it was difficult.  I scoff at difficult.  Till I played it.  It has humbled me by the complexity of the game.  Only been playing it 3 days now.  I am happy I figured out how to carve a few rooms into the mountains and chop down some trees.  I was even able to get most of the dwarves working on some projects at the same time.

So far I am enjoying it.  I got a tileset downloaded which has helped me immensely.  It feels a little like cheating instead of using the pure ascii code but I don't know what all the symbols represent yet so I need the crutch.

Read the story about Boatmurder, AWESOME.  Makes me want to play more.  I love designing the forts, I love the way my little friends will engrave thier history onto the halls of their home.  I can't wait to learn more.

Guess this sort of an introduction post.

PS: How do change the name of the dwarves?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New victim errr... player
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:44:14 pm »

Welcome. you can add a nickname (which replaces the first name when displayed). You need to go into the dwarf's profile (p-z). After that, hit y to customize. Hitting n from there will let you add a nickname.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:19:15 pm »

Welcome. you can add a nickname (which replaces the first name when displayed). You need to go into the dwarf's profile (p-z). After that, hit y to customize. Hitting n from there will let you add a nickname.

I bet he didn't even have to fire up the game or check it to know that.

Sober Dwarf (lol) - you will eventually get all the commands ingrained like that as well.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:28:33 pm »

Sober Dwarf (lol) - you will eventually get all the commands ingrained like that as well.

This is unnervingly true, I knew that without checking too :P  Any df player could probably name off all the items symbols mean.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:35:00 pm »

This is unnervingly true, I knew that without checking too :P  Any df player could probably name off all the items symbols mean.

Yeah pretty much, most of them can also name several reactions and all their respective reagents and products...

I'm half tempted now to make a shirt with a DF dwarf on it and then walk around and see if any DF players spot me.

Sober Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:36:14 pm »

Little update on my fortress

Hurray, I managed to to dig down and expand my fort.  I can't believe I was able to drain a lake and make a big mud room to grow mushrooms. AWESOME!!!  I managed to survive long enough to have a few immagrants arrive.  Up to summer.  At least everybody is eating, now I just need to figure out how to make beer and put those beds I made into rooms. 

We shall see tomorrow.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:59:23 pm »

Haha good to see you enjoy the game. And your allready doing better then my first fortress, although that isnt that hard.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:49:39 pm »

Booze: b(uild),w(orkshops),(Stil)l will build a still. It doesn't need anything special to make it. Then set it to 'brew drink' hit r for repeat and you're good until you run out of plants or barrels.

Beds: Make a bed at a carpenters shop (b(uild),w(orkshop),c(arptener's shop) for the shop, b for the bed itself), then hit b(uild),b(ed) and place the bed.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37:02 am »

I'm half tempted now to make a shirt with a DF dwarf on it and then walk around and see if any DF players spot me.
I dislike this idea because:
1. I would want one. So would others. You could sell it.
which leads to...
2. That'd be like stealing from Toady.
So, either you convince Toady to sell Tshirts, don't have that shirt, or you make me very unhappy :(
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:44:38 am »

I dislike this idea because:
1. I would want one. So would others. You could sell it.
which leads to...
2. That'd be like stealing from Toady.
So, either you convince Toady to sell Tshirts, don't have that shirt, or you make me very unhappy :(

Sell it and donate all proceeds to toady.

Sober Dwarf, the first real order of business is experimenting with magma. Landmines, deathtraps, flood rooms and elf melters; that is what you need to build!

rhinelander

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:48:55 am »

welcome to the great wide world of hilarity and misery that is DF.

I can't believe I was able to drain a lake and make a big mud room to grow mushrooms. AWESOME!!

try this with a brook/river someday and watch the fun unfold!
every DF player should have had this experience.  ;)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:47:52 am »

Remember, when it's time to make more permanent living quarters for your little dudes, noise is a factor, so beds should be somewhat far away from any work/tree cutting/furniture installation that's going on.
I brake for stumble bumblings

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 10:14:13 am »

I can't believe I was able to drain a lake and make a big mud room to grow mushrooms. AWESOME!!

It was even better in 40d. Not only was there water running around your corridors, it was laced with vicious fish.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 02:46:24 pm »

It was even better in 40d. Not only was there water running around your corridors, it was laced with vicious fish.
The carp were really well known for pulling dwarves in and generally slaughtering dwarves.

Also, be careful of the caverns, but don't be too afraid of them. If you have to, remember that constructed floors and walls are completely indestructible.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 03:33:14 pm »

The carp were really well known for pulling dwarves in and generally slaughtering dwarves.

Also, be careful of the caverns, but don't be too afraid of them. If you have to, remember that constructed floors and walls are completely indestructible.
Indeed, I believe the wiki used to say on the 40d construction page (it might still) that it is completely normal to have a magma cistern made out of wood.  In fact coke/coal walls and floors didn't ignite either via magma, though I do remember from experience that, if done right, you could get burning coke floors.  I think it involved melting an ambush and trade caravan under a magma waterfall to get that.

Anyways, Sober, I take it you're playing DF 31.xx (also known as DF2010)?  I look forward to hearing about you exploring the caverns.

Edit:  Also, there's no shame in using a tileset, I use a rather simple one myself because I couldn't stand not having square tiles, and I liked the shape of the smoothed walls.  You need to find one that you like, for example, some of the simpler ones with thin lines give me a headache.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:43:46 pm by Alkyon »
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?
Pages: [1] 2