Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins in cages, oh no!  (Read 1361 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Goblins in cages, oh no!
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:35:15 am »

I sort of didn't think my defense through. After watching a party of 12 or so ambushers slaughter nearly my entire fortress, I just had to go back to an earlier save and try and beat the clock in building a defensive maze at my entrance. The easiest sure-fire thing I could think of was a lot of cage traps. It was effective (I had just five traps built and the ice wall finished when the first goblin ran into it), but I just realized. I now have a bunch of cages with goblins in them, and I don't really want them in my valuable cages!

The cages are wooden on a 2x2 map (which has a surprisingly small amount of wood even on a heavily forested map), so they're invaluable right now. How can I kill the goblins safely while being able to retrieve the cage and anything they were carrying?

And on a related note.. I plan on building a magma aqueduct over my entrance, which will drop lava over some grates when a plate is touched, hopefully burning the invaders in the process. I might include bridges that raise to keep them from running around on fire. Opinions, since I'm a stupid noob? :(

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins in cages, oh no!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:55:07 am »

Yeah, I had the same goblin-related death in one of my forts. Or I would have, but I just left it there because the carnage would take too long. Just start a new fort, have one entrance, and build 30 mechanisms and 30 cages as soon as possible.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:38:21 am »

You filthy savescummer!  >:(

Seriously, just build a cage (b-j)?, and assign all goblins into that one cage. Dwarves with the animal hauling labour will drag them into their new "home". Congratulations, now you have a fine goblin zoo!

Just be careful, and don't try to move goblin thieves. They will escape from your animal haulers. You should just dump their weapons and armour, release them, and let your dwarves take care of them.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 02:06:12 am »

Easiest thing to do with them--- if you've upgraded your defenses to goblin grinder levels, you can release your caged goblins and building destroyers just in front of them, on the fortress side of the death dealers, and let them try to run to freedom through the traps. You can guarantee they won't bother your dwarves by installing a drawbridge (*not* retracting--- RAISING) so you can install the cages, raise the bridge to block their way into your fortress, and then uncage them by throwing alever that is linked to the cages. The goblins, or anything else with them like trolls, in your installed cages will be freed, and will try to escape down the death hall. Once dead or escaped, you can drop the bridge, retrieve the cages and other items, and repeat. You may want to deconstruct the de-cager lever to get back the mechanisms that were used to link it to the cages.

If you haven't upgraded your entrance traps, you should.

You can also come up with other execution methods. Drowning chambers, repeating spike traps, drop towers, magma baths--- lots and lots of ways. Just get creative and have fun!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:11:56 am by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 03:52:01 am »

A drop hole at least 5 lvls deep is probably the quickest and most efficient way to kill them.   If you have a FB lurking around THAT CANT FLY (guess how this went wrong for me the first time?)  throwing as many as you can down to it from 2 z lvls above the cavern floor (so things cant just walk back into the hole)  will make for some entertaining fights and eventually a dead FB.

If you dig a 3x3 chamber with a pit in the center you can kill 4 at a time quite easily by building the cages around the hole and chucking them in
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:08:37 am »

I build my goblin-cages around a pit. Then the Cages are dumped and reclaimed by d-b-d/d-b-c.
So the goblins are stripped naked.

Next step is to assign the baddies to the pit. When they are all down i call my Marksdwarves at the edge of the pit.
They kill the goblins with wooden bolts, and get much more practice by that, than from archery ranges.