Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 55 z levels tall HFS and messed up new materials spawning!  (Read 1596 times)

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
55 z levels tall HFS and messed up new materials spawning!
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:42:59 am »

so i upgraded dwarf fortress version from 31.08 to .10 (heard .12 was buggy) while keeping my modded materials in raws which are:
inorganic_stone_material:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

inorganic_metal:

reaction_other:

so i made a new map for new version to test the materials, and got the following in the error log:

i double and triple checked for duplicate tag but i didnt found and i wasnt sure why it did the other errors, considering gems work fine for both stones and other gems. i go embark, a mountain area, run DFprospector, and my jaw dropped: over 800K slade, with the second most material was microcline at almost 200k. dragonmetal and crystalium oxide were missing from the list, and oddly also ruby and ruby star. there was very low amounts of pyronite and hydro stone, 200 hydrostone and 600 pyronite. i decide to run DFreveal, and to my suprise i saw pyronite sitting around on surface. in CLAYSTONE. in SMALL CLUSTERS. confused by this i decided to look all around the map from top to bottom and i found some wierd stuff:
1.gabbo had clay small clusters in it

2.hydro stone behaved every strangely, first spawning as singles on every pinfire opal cluster near the surfaces, then the same on crystal opal, precious fire opals, harlequin opals, and finally badfire opals.
the opals on the hydro layers never spawned out of the layer and the layers never crossed each other, the first layer at surface and lowest around magma lake.

3. the first cavern had some wierd pit going to the main complex of the cavern, at the end of the first cavern there was a strange looking mud free shaft made with slopes leading right into the second cavern, which also ended right on the same z level that the third cavern started. the third cavern ended right on the z level where a magma pipe started, it also appears that the cavern was supposted to have another cave where the magma pipe was, since there was "muddy open space" tiles there.
4. so there was one adamantite spire starting somewhere over the magma pipe, going right into the HFS area. the thing is, a chuck of the HFS (with the spire in it) was instead a huge semi molten rock box going down about 40 z levels before finally stopping. needless to say, the HFS had some epic mountains.

heres save file: http://rapidshare.com/files/411722970/region5.zip

i havent got to play much with this save, but i hope you can help me.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 55 z levels tall HFS and messed up new materials spawning!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:32:01 am »

Every time I edit the raws I can't avoid seeing the message something to the effect of: "DO NOT EVER TRY TO COPY OLD RAWS IN HERE - BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN" (or something like that).  Reading your post, it doesn't sound like you just copied old raw files into the new version, but in case you did, that may have caused the weirdness.

Another thing, what gave you the idea that 31.10 is LESS buggy than 31.12?  Sure, there's bugs galore--this is an alpha after all--but in 31.12 the military kinda works now!  Did 31.12 introduce new bugs (compared with 31.10) that I'm not aware of?

KD

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:38:51 am »

Well, for one thing, you have two materials called [INORGANIC:DRAGONMETAL], one in inorganic_stone_material and one in inorganic_metal. How'd you miss that on your double and triple checks?
You also misspelled OPAL_CLARO as OPAL_CLADO and OPAL_WHITE as OPAL_WHITEL, which maybe could've caused the subsequent errors in a cascading manner?
The weird geology you got is in line with what happens when people have problems in their raws (they more often do it with creatures and have their whole civilization turned into muskoxen or something like that).
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:40:52 am »

It's more likely the duplicate raw entry causing the issue (duplicate raws seem to cause everything to get "shifted" around, if you get my drift), rather than the missing ones (missing things might cause crashes, or nothing at all, it's hard to tell).

Still, interesting to find out what the source of all this strange geography is.

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:59:55 am »

Well, for one thing, you have two materials called [INORGANIC:DRAGONMETAL], one in inorganic_stone_material and one in inorganic_metal. How'd you miss that on your double and triple checks?

i thought that having one stone and one metal wouldnt cause that, seeing as reactions already refer to stuff by their type and not just by name. il see if that solves the problem.

EDIT: works, but game still generates CRYSTALIUM_OXIDE: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token- opal-whatever for half the opal gems. anyone knows why?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:14:07 am by necrodoom »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:08:10 am »

Matglosses are matglosses; especially so in .31. It's only safe to use two entries with the same identifier if they're in files with different [OBJECT:] headers.

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:52 am »

EDIT: works, but game still generates CRYSTALIUM_OXIDE: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token- opal-whatever for half the opal gems. anyone knows why?
Because you're using underscores instead of spaces in the names? For example my gems file has "CHERRY OPAL" not "CHERRY_OPAL".

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 11:35:03 am »

cherry_opal on mine. and it seems to have fixed it self without a reason o.o

i wonder what horrors can you make by using that game breaker duplicate tag bug. maybe i should make a thread about it.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:35:58 am »

IMO this should be in the modding section, as it is obviously a modding issue...

As for .10 being less buggy than .12?  Whoever told you that has thier information wrong, as .12 has many many less bugs than .10.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.