Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My marksdwarf's still refuse to shoot their crossbows  (Read 5491 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
My marksdwarf's still refuse to shoot their crossbows
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:42:47 pm »

Is their a trick to this?? they have bows, they have ammo designated, and they have quivers.. I have them in towers 2z levels above the entrance to my fort but still refuse to shoot?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: My marksdwarf's still refuse to shoot their crossbows
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:54:26 pm »

Yeah Same here.

I think they are still broken.

I am working on a ton of variables to see if I cannot get them to fire at least a couple rounds sometime.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:57:40 pm »

Yeah Same here.

I think they are still broken.

I am working on a ton of variables to see if I cannot get them to fire at least a couple rounds sometime.

making a report on mantis for it.. apparently toady's fix didnt work

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2695

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:07:04 pm »

Same problems here.  I think that my dwarves had not picked up any ammo even though they had both training and combat ammo assigned.  Additionally, I got spammed with tons of "equipment mismatch" alerts.

Looking at other posts, the ammo solution seems to be to not designate any ammo stockpiles, neither with or without bins.  I have yet to try this to see if it works (but I did have plenty of bone bolts just lying at the craftdwarves shops outside any stockpiles).  Does anyone know if this is the case for certain?  Also, is there a way to see what equipment they got mismatched with?  I'm running the latest version, of course.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »

Same problems here.  I think that my dwarves had not picked up any ammo even though they had both training and combat ammo assigned.  Additionally, I got spammed with tons of "equipment mismatch" alerts.

Looking at other posts, the ammo solution seems to be to not designate any ammo stockpiles, neither with or without bins.  I have yet to try this to see if it works (but I did have plenty of bone bolts just lying at the craftdwarves shops outside any stockpiles).  Does anyone know if this is the case for certain?  Also, is there a way to see what equipment they got mismatched with?  I'm running the latest version, of course.

I have discovered if I mark every item a dwarf has on for dumping, usually I can get past an equipment missmatch problem.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:38:26 pm »

I've got them firing at enemies and doing ind training but not much luck with anything else. I had one dwarf do some target practice for about 20 seconds, which I thought was amazing, but nothing else since and I have no idea why.

I did discover an odd bug though while trying to give them some training with a live target. I released a caged gobbo in a small room with fortifications carved into all the walls next to the archers' training area. Much to my dismay after he had been released the archers still sat around doing ind training, so I tried using station and kill orders, but still had no luck. At this point my legendary hunter walks by the room and 1-shots the gobbo in the head.  O.o

I tested this with another two more gobbos, the dwarfs still wouldn't shoot through forts but took one down after I opened the door. The other one got took a single headshot from that same hunter. Damn that guy's good.
(going to go make proper bug report now)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:49:13 pm »

It doesn't sounds like they have bolts.

What bolts have been assigned?  Do any have checkmarks next to them?  Is there anything inside the marksdwarf's quivers?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:10 pm »

As an alternative to my failed fortification room, I made a pit to put live targets in for my marksdwarves to shoot at, which worked fine. They still don't want to shoot at the archery targets though (which really confuses me after the one dwarf did it earlier).

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:14:03 am »

Yep, I was messing with crossbow dwarves last night, a few things I noticed:
If you change their ammo assignments in the mil. screen they will still keep the ones they have assigned until they use them all, to get them to actually change ammo you have to disband the squad and wait for them to put all their equipment back (I found this out when trying to switch my combat ammo from iron to bone so I could do some live target practice but not have the targets die too quick).

I had no problems setting up live practice targets by:
1) building a square of fortifications in the middle of a room with one door,
2) then building a bunch of gobbo cages in it, using the mass dump trick to strip them of armour/weapons,
3) attaching all the cages to a lever,
4) making a burrow around the outside of the fortification enclosure, and creating an alert+schedule where the crossbow squad defend that burrow all year around,
5) switching my crossbow squad to that alert
They all ran in and shot the gobbos till they ran out of ammo.

Normal archery practice is still so broken it effectively doesn't work. I managed to get a few different results that were tantalizingly close: got all my dwarves to "go to archery practice", but they all just went to their rooms and stayed there. Got all my dwarves to "go to organised practice" with my squad lead doing "organise practice", but they never actually started. Got one dwarf to do his own practice, and he did it a lot, but no one else would do it.
So I am just going to stick to goblin target practice.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:30:12 am »

It's a real shame that at the same time we get dwarfs firing crossbows, we lose our invulnerable beasts :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

hambeargur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »

I have dwarves shooting but it seems that getting them to pick up bolts is quite janky. Frist you have to remember to tell them to in the ammunition screen. Then it seems that other strange equipment issues get in the way. Sometimes I get a message complaining about equipment conflicts. It might worth while to test if having marksdwarves with no armor would fix this.

As for invulnerable creatures I have an iron armor wearing goblin master lasher in my firing range that has yet to receive a wound from my iron bolts.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »

2z levels above the entrance
Therein lies the problem. They can only shoot creatures within a z-level of their vision.
It happened when I tried to hunt off a cliff to shoot animals below.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 12:58:13 pm »

2z levels above the entrance
Therein lies the problem. They can only shoot creatures within a z-level of their vision.
It happened when I tried to hunt off a cliff to shoot animals below.

So they can only shoot 1z level? I just lost that fort to a siege so ill try smaller towers this time

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 01:08:05 pm »

So they can only shoot 1z level? I just lost that fort to a siege so ill try smaller towers this time
If they tried to shoot from 2z levels(Which I assume is around 20 ft?) wind would most likely cause the bolt to miss.
Besides, it's easier to shoot something on the same level as you.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 03:50:36 pm »

No. They can shoot over z levels.

They could do this perfectly well in 40d for me and if you put marksdwarves in the little fort in arena mode you'll see they are capable of shooting eachother perfectly fine.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2