Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 324198 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2010, 01:04:14 pm »

I think it's more of an adamantine tooth pick. The world is an olive in Armok's Martini.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2010, 01:10:15 pm »

Which must meen that if we dig deep enough we'll reach a Giant Sea of Beer!!!
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

ZJVavrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2010, 01:18:43 pm »

What do you think a martini is made of?  :o

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »

Well Armok's Martini's are probably river spirits, sweet pod rum, magma. Shaken, not stirred.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2010, 01:31:45 pm »

And Gnomeblight. Just so it has some explainable use in this version.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2010, 02:06:29 pm »

Just so you guys know, Everest is 8,848 m (29,029 ft) high. That puts each z-level to be 22.12 m/72.57 ft high.

That means that the Dwarven Space Elevator is 48929m/160,524ft/30.40 miles high. We're in the upper Stratosphere, but we haven't totally left the atmosphere.

Space, folks, is Z-Level 4520 (at 100km, or 62 miles).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:15:02 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2010, 03:17:03 pm »

Just so you guys know, Everest is 8,848 m (29,029 ft) high. That puts each z-level to be 22.12 m/72.57 ft high.

That means that the Dwarven Space Elevator is 48929m/160,524ft/30.40 miles high. We're in the upper Stratosphere, but we haven't totally left the atmosphere.

Space, folks, is Z-Level 4520 (at 100km, or 62 miles).

There was other counting system, with full 7/7 of water being just above human's head.

Given this, one z-level is... uh. 1.8m I think?

*goes to fail at math somewhere else*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 18, 2010, 03:20:40 pm »

if we link human size to full water then we are talking about some 2 meters each tile which in turn means that the "space ellivator" is a mere 4424 meters high on the other hand if we compare it to an adult tree which is about 15 meters high then we are much higher again.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2010, 03:29:48 pm »

I think we should all agree that the Dwarven Space Elevator is awesome, even though the z-level measurement is wonky, and not give a damn how tall it would be in real life. Agreed?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 18, 2010, 03:30:41 pm »

Actually, using new saves on an old version would be forwards compatibility.
thts wat im saying
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2010, 03:45:50 pm »

Guys think about this:  if the spire meanders in the XY plane as it goes up, and cave-ins make every column of stone fall separately from its original attachment...  Do you see where I'm going with this?  If we were able to mine it, removing the complete ground floor level wouldn't drop the spire as-is one Z level, it would make the whole jumble come crashing down in the most fantastic cave-in known to dwarfkind, leaving an adamantine mountain behind.

In the Red Mars trilogy, there is a scene in which someone cuts the geostationary counterweight off a space elevator that was built on Mars.  This causes destruction of cataclysmic proportions as the space elevator material falls to the ground, eventually wrapping around the equator of Mars three times over as the planet turns beneath the falling elevator.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

KWSN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2010, 04:42:40 pm »

I think we should all agree that the Dwarven Space Elevator is awesome, even though the z-level measurement is wonky, and not give a damn how tall it would be in real life. Agreed?

Considering the game tends to throw physics out the window (perpetual motion machines anyone?), I say we throw the "standard" definition of space out the window here.  It reaches their version of space.
NI!

<shepheb> you can also erect a building, should they be called erections?

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 18, 2010, 05:26:48 pm »

Considering the game tends to throw physics out the window (perpetual motion machines anyone?), I say we throw the "standard" definition of space out the window here.  It reaches their version of space.

This.
Edit:  Especially when you consider that our technical term for a platform that can drop magma from the sky is "orbital magma cannon" and those are not usually built at even 100 Z levels.  Geostationary orbit on Earth is about 22,000 miles up.  Wikipedia says Low Earth orbit is 100 to 1200 miles up.  If we accept the premise that a 2,200 Z level space elevator reaches the DF version of geosynchronous, then low Earth orbit for DF would be between 10 and 120 Z-levels up, which sounds about right for the range people would build orbital magma cannons at.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:33:47 pm by denito »
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05:21 pm »

This.
Edit:  Especially when you consider that our technical term for a platform that can drop magma from the sky is "orbital magma cannon" and those are not usually built at even 100 Z levels.  Geostationary orbit on Earth is about 22,000 miles up.  Wikipedia says Low Earth orbit is 100 to 1200 miles up.  If we accept the premise that a 2,200 Z level space elevator reaches the DF version of geosynchronous, then low Earth orbit for DF would be between 10 and 120 Z-levels up, which sounds about right for the range people would build orbital magma cannons at.

10 is low orbit?

So basically, dwarves dig underground because if they jump they die of atmospheric conditions?

Does this mean that elves are actually aliens capable of thriving off the ozone layer?
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 18, 2010, 06:21:14 pm »

Who says Dwarf's atmosphere's are the same as ours?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45