Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 322633 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #390 on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:28 pm »

I think I know what could be the issue.

the entire area is counted as being teh underworld.

try makind down stairs, I think those work on slade.
The problem is that the dwarves won't even pick up their tools.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 22, 2010, 05:33:30 am »

Picking something up off the ground would require looking away from the spire.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 22, 2010, 05:47:27 am »

Picking something up off the ground would require looking away from the spire.

Solution; Mod out your dwarves' eyes.

I thought I'll never have an occasion to say this again, this being .31 and such. But I demand that someone tries it.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 22, 2010, 12:41:38 pm »

I am amazed that this glitch did not just crash DF when deploying map on embark screen. OP was very lucky to get bug that was selfcontained (no infinite loops, for example).

It is small wonder. It would be big wonder, if normal gameplay (aside of one-digit FPS) would be possible. I wonder, is this because of corrupted save - or map itself, technically correct, but too big, cause this behaviour (no picking equipment etc). Maybe, say, some timing mismatch, because on that large map some things can take unexceptedly long time.

Anyway, it would be nice if Toady would check it. We want to routinely play that large embark areas in 2020, right? ;]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 22, 2010, 01:25:34 pm »

I am amazed that this glitch did not just crash DF when deploying map on embark screen. OP was very lucky to get bug that was selfcontained (no infinite loops, for example).

It is small wonder. It would be big wonder, if normal gameplay (aside of one-digit FPS) would be possible. I wonder, is this because of corrupted save - or map itself, technically correct, but too big, cause this behaviour (no picking equipment etc). Maybe, say, some timing mismatch, because on that large map some things can take unexceptedly long time.

Anyway, it would be nice if Toady would check it. We want to routinely play that large embark areas in 2020, right? ;]

From other people's attempts to embark on the location again, it's just a bug that occurred once, and would be a miracle if your computer happened to be thinking the same things at the same time to make it happen again (I'm betting it was somehow caused externally by the computer performing multiple tasks at the same time, and glitched, leading to DF[and probably the other programs] to be corrupted.) All the other embark attempts in that world and in worlds genned from the same param set came out with a perfectly [un]boring [evil] grassland [full of undead horrors], no tower was present, no apparent glitches. But hey, maybe they were all lying and want to keep the awesomeness to themselves.  :-X

yay for glitches that leave things partially playable :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 22, 2010, 02:11:21 pm »

Hell ya... I'll probably try and make something out of this provided my computer doesn't crash from its sheer awesomeness.  I'll make an entire army of Adamantine-equipped Dwarves and go slaughter the hidden fun stuff or something.  This kind of find is absolutely incredible, just think, we can make almost anything from Adamantine from weapons to stone structures to trap components to picks to clothing.  I'm very likely to end up getting a LOT of artifacts involving Adamantine, hopefully some holy swords or something.  Been wanting to do this for a while actually, make a temple city where every soldier is labeled Paladin carrying equipment of holy metal to slaughter the fiends of darkness.  You made my day, thanks again!

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 22, 2010, 02:36:52 pm »

Read the Goddamn thread. The adamantine is not mine able. Nothing on the map is. NOTHING AT ALL!

NOTHING
NADDA
ZILCH
ZERO
EL ZULCHOMONDO
OTHER WORDS THAT MEAN NOTHING
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:41:08 pm by Toast024 »
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 22, 2010, 02:47:21 pm »

That's because you aren't trying hard enough.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00:51 pm »

God I just can't run this map... I can't even go 10 seconds unpaused without the game crashing.  This is torture, I tell you!  We'd need a friggin supercomputer to run this map.  I can actually visualize the spire leading into outer space, though, since it's such a dense and heat-resistant mineral that it could probably withstand the extreme temperature of the atmosphere.  If not the top of the spire would probably turn into a molten adamantine magma flood from the sky.  JUDGMENT IS AT HAND!

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #399 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:07 pm »

That image... my God...

Thoth, ShdwFlm, thanks for your work on that!

The first step towards getting this thing mineable, is getting it playable.  There's several thousand empty z-levels above the top of this thing.  If we could cut all but 15 of those z-levels off, somehow, it might make the map a little more FPS-friendly.

The next step should be figuring out why these dwarves will make tools and move tools to stockpiles, but won't actually equip them in order to use them outside of military purposes (they did pick up stuff when told to do so as a military squad, but they dropped them as soon as their orders were cancelled or they went inactive).

Once we can trim some z-levels off and get dwarves to at least pick up their tools, mining should be no problem since they already can smooth the walls of the spire and carve fortifications to it i.e. they know that the spire is there, they know they can path to it, and they are able to work on it.

Since everything I've heard about this map so far implies that Windows users are unable to run it (due to crashing), getting these steps would require someone running the game on Linux (possibly 64-bit Linux, specifically) and poking around in the RAM while the game is running, comparing things that are or are not happening with things that should or should not be happening when the game runs normally.  And that's waaaay out of my league.

gilesguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 22, 2010, 09:28:09 pm »

I don't know much about modding, but could you mod the dwarves to not need picks to mine without having to gen another world? What happens if you add the tag that lets picks dig tiles to, say, the dwaves hands?
Crafty human Bastards! We should kill all Elves!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #401 on: July 23, 2010, 12:20:48 am »

I don't know much about modding, but could you mod the dwarves to not need picks to mine without having to gen another world? What happens if you add the tag that lets picks dig tiles to, say, the dwaves hands?
I'm pretty sure that picks being required is hardcoded into the game.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 23, 2010, 04:19:36 am »

There's no way to mod it to not require an item to dig/cut wood. You could change the item to anything you want (or maybe just any weapon), but the game is hard-coded to require one. I'm actually fairly certain that in order to cut wood, you MUST have a weapon that uses the axeman warrior skill when used as a weapon (there's no tag in the entity to define the woodcutting item like there is for the digging item though). You'd probably also have to regen the world, as changes to the entity_whatever files that control civs have never been considered when you edit the game. The entities refuse to change until regenned, but you can change anything else without regenning, as long as you recognize that nothing new will show up. I like to play with the raws :P

Still, you're gonna have to get those picks and axes into their hands somehow, preferably in such a way that the game recognizes that they are now carrying and weilding the item in ways other than just showing in their inventory, which is probably what would happen if you used a utility to teleport them into their hands, but that should be considered if anyone knows how to make one/dfhack can do that (I don't use DFhack or any other utilities.) then it's at least worth a shot.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 23, 2010, 04:31:45 am »

Since everything I've heard about this map so far implies that Windows users are unable to run it (due to crashing), getting these steps would require someone running the game on Linux (possibly 64-bit Linux, specifically) and poking around in the RAM while the game is running, comparing things that are or are not happening with things that should or should not be happening when the game runs normally.  And that's waaaay out of my league.
Unless I'm mistaken, it would require real hardcore hacking to do that stuff. The only way I can think of to change the map is via world.sav editing, which requires a program that can read .sav's. I've no clue myself as to why they can't pick stuff up. My only guess would be that it came with the bug that made the spire.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 23, 2010, 05:14:41 am »

Well out of idle curiosity, i got this running on one of my pcs with xubuntu on it, i would like to say it ran fine but the main thing is it ran. I constructed a bunch of workshops but obviously only have the wood that came with the wagon, i tried dropping a constructed wooden wall onto the ground from a z level above, i'm going to move up a few more z then drop bauxite down, see if i can't strike the earth. Perhaps the spire is far more pervasive and the entire maps normal mats are infused with adamantine? :P, I'm just trying it out on my main pc but in a 'nix vm, my god its running almost speedily (comparatively), if i by some miracle fathom a way to survive long enough to migrants, theres a remote chance they might do something. I hope that running it in 31.11 might make it playable, but am doubtful. I think we are meant to be as awestruck as the dwarves, and just stare at the spire. I shall see what i can see, and report back with any findings. So;

"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45