Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 322604 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: It was the best embark, it was the worst embark...
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 09:36:21 pm »

Same here.  The spot the wagon is on looks the same down to the ramp structure, but no cavern collapse and no spire to the west.

Edit: Also, that little pond by his wagon isn't on my map.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:39:28 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »

With that seed on a a Wintel machine I don't even get the same terrain. My world cursor is on the same square as yours but there are no features like I see in Region or Local anywhere. :(

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »

Ten bucks says the HFS is at ground level.

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 09:50:10 pm »

uploading to DFFD.  I'll update the OP when its done.

Update: done.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:53:47 pm by cbpye »

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 10:09:46 pm »

It gets weirder.  The exposed bits of floor on the spire read "Raw Adamantine Cavern Floor," and that they are "Inside, Dark, Subterranean."  Same goes for the grassy patch around the spire.  The exposed bits of sand on the grassy patch read "Sand Cavern Floor."  All of the dead grass and shale around the grassy patch reads "Dead Grass" and "Outside, Light, Above Ground."  I still can't get anyone to mine anything, but they'll build things, make things, and move things.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »

I wonder if the world collapsed around the pillar. You said there was a cave-in at embark.

EDIT: your save works. I saw it while the game was paused, but it crashed when I unpaused. That is a hell of a thing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:17:30 pm by nbonaparte »
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 10:27:47 pm »

That is so weird! And awesome! And weird! And awesome!

I'm going to have to see if I can replicate your results (just because I seem to be a Weirdness Magnet.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 10:38:05 pm »

Wardogs killed a skeletal groundhog, as they should.

I've used the "export image" feature, and found that the spire reaches 2343 z-levels above the ground.  That's a lot of raw adamantine!  The weird thing is that, while there should only be 15 more empty z-levels above that point, there are at least 2,500 more empty z-levels.

Still, no-one is digging anywhere. :-/  They haven't even picked up a pick or axe yet.

languard

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:32 pm »

Sounds like the game just glitched and glitched hard.  Using dfreveal and dfprospector, I can see there are some sizable adamantine deposits, but nothing on the scale you got.

Like others, no cave in on embark.

BTW, is this a reclaim?  I noticed that on your embark screen, there's already a fort present.
He's now moping around, doing Armok knows what. As far as I can tell he's just going to stay there, in the party room. Forever.
Given our relationship thus far, I can genuinely say the party has just begun for me. - Captain Mayday,

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 10:56:06 pm »

The file I uploaded is not a reclaim, it is a copy of the game-in-progress.  The screenshot that shows a reclaimable fortress was made by copying my entire dwarf fortress installation, abandoning the region there, and then taking the shot.  The no-digging thing was happening well before I did that.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:48 pm »

This....is....EPIC!!! I am going to collapse this thing just to see what happens.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 10:59:45 pm »

Suppose a person were able to dig out the ground-level z-level of that spire... how much adamantine would be left on the ground?  One stone per mineable tile on every z-level that fell?  or would many of the stones be destroyed?

The thought that this glorious treasure of adamantine may go undefiled by dwarven hands... it makes me so sad.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »

Well, apparently, this was too much awesome for my computer to handle. It buckled under the strain of trying to load the save. *sigh* No bluemetal tower for me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 11:36:21 pm »

It runs on my computer.... DFProspector reports the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note the:
Code: [Select]
RAW_ADAMANTINE : 83550

I tried to gen it, and got the exact same map... except for the spire.  The save worked at least on .10.   Probably not going to use the map though... I need more than 3 FPS.

EDIT:  Just did some more poking around.... The map goes down to -30z level, and if I try the "ESC > Export Local Image", I can scroll down to -30, and then hit  z level 29864 as the "max" z level on the map.  I don't know if I can actually zoom up that high, but it seems like it.  I tested by zooming up to 2450 or something (The Adamantine stops at 2212). 

As far as not being able to dig it, I didn't test but I remember someone saying that they thought there was a population cap or something on breaching the depths and that to get in below certain requirements, you had to cave in to it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:03:39 am by happydog23 »

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 12:18:52 am »

OMFG!

Will try to use the seed under linux, hopefully my pc would be able to at least start it.

But it seem like a really weird bug.

PS: Great, generate the world make my game crash, an error log;
"Impoverished World Selector"

I'll will try the save at least to see if I can run with good fps.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:47:36 am by sir labreck »
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45