Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 323997 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #405 on: July 23, 2010, 05:22:59 am »

You should be able to survive via herbalism/farming, then trading food. Doesn't help with the FPS/mining/woodcutting issues, though.

Wait, can you designate plant gathering?

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 23, 2010, 06:57:30 am »

You should be able to survive via herbalism/farming, then trading food. Doesn't help with the FPS/mining/woodcutting issues, though.

Wait, can you designate plant gathering?
Well I've not seen them do it, but as far as i can tell anything which doesn't require a tool works. I had completely neglected to do a farm until you mentioned it, I've managed to make a depot out of the coke, and a dorm room & meeting hall under the ramp/wall/floor spiral, shall see how high I go before I run out of building materials, and I can probably reclaim the mechanic and mason workshop. I have been attacked by a few skeletal and zombie groundhogs, but the dogs seem to have taken care of them with minimal wounds.
Piccie of progress by the spire;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 23, 2010, 08:19:19 am »

If you're not averse to cheating, you can always mod the soapmaker/smelter reactions to give you raw building materials.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 23, 2010, 08:35:43 am »

If you're not averse to cheating, you can always mod the soapmaker/smelter reactions to give you raw building materials.
Does that bypass needing to regen the world then? I've got it running on linux 31.11, no change alas, but i really didn't expect it to work suddenly. Well if i can magic some materials i could build a castle, i can fish however, and I've got some bone crafts being made since the zombie / skeletal groundhogs keep getting themselves killed. Can't see any harvestable plants, and the first couple of places i put a farm i don't have any seeds for, I'm hoping due to the weirdness of this map that irrigating a section might help, but if not, I'll have to wait until a caravan turns up and hope the dwarves like sushi.

Oh and in the vm with 2 cores a few gb of ram i'm getting 14-16 whole fps! woo  ::)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:44:25 am by Thoth »
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 23, 2010, 08:48:10 am »

Oh and in the vm with 2 cores a few gb of ram i'm getting 14-16 whole fps! woo  ::)

With wrong game graphical settings you can have even 4 cores and it won't help.

Also, Core A = Dwarf Fortress Only, Core B = EVERYTHING Else.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Aescula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2010, 08:54:03 am »

Build a staircase all the way up the middle of the monolith and STRIKE THE SKY.
Mine out the sky and sell mugs made of air to the elves!
Nonsense!  The obvious thing to do is to prepare a pumpstack, and KILL THEM WITH OUTER SPACE!

Seconded. What should we name the page?
The Spine of the World
The Tower of Armok.
The Lead of Armok's pencil.
Armok's Loins >_>

Lost the quote box for this one:
Yes.  To cut down trees, you need a weapon with the [AXE] tag.  Hence why training axes destroy trees.

I know.  I late-post.  I do this constantly.  's why I'm rarely on forums.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2010, 09:02:30 am »

Well I've got 4 cores, 2 are in use by the vm,  and by looking at system monitor it's alternating between the vms core 1 / 2 @ 100%, I'll leave nix to do what it thinks is best, on windows i usually give DF the last 2 cores, then play something turn based on a different one whilst I wait for production orders or ridiculous mega projects to fail miserably. :P

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2010, 09:07:40 am »

The map lacks any plants. I've survived for a year so far on fishing and a little bit of cheaty-farming (magicked some water onto the "underground" area under the spire) and assassinating a few wolves with magma but I haven't gotten any migrants with picks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 23, 2010, 09:30:40 am »

Well I've got 4 cores, 2 are in use by the vm,  and by looking at system monitor it's alternating between the vms core 1 / 2 @ 100%, I'll leave nix to do what it thinks is best, on windows i usually give DF the last 2 cores, then play something turn based on a different one whilst I wait for production orders or ridiculous mega projects to fail miserably. :P

Buuut... DF doesn't support multithreading*? Isn't it making the 'giving few cores to DF' pointless then?

*Unless I haven't noticed something.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 23, 2010, 09:32:30 am »

The graphics rendering has been offloaded to a second core now I believe.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2010, 09:34:38 am »

I like to think it stops one core getting hammered as it spreads the load a little, and with the vm, its using one for the OS and one for DF. If the graphics have been offloaded as well then all the more reason, thanks for that dragnar i think your right. :P

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2010, 09:36:27 am »

I assume it has crossed everyone's minds that perhaps it's simply Armok's will that this site cannot be mined. He might consider it desecration.

Of course, on the other hand, Armok might just assume his Dwarves will try anyway and will use the site as amusement.

I watch the flailing of Sciencetm to whatever end with the same enthusiasm as the Blood God himself. Forwards and upwards!
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2010, 12:13:24 pm »

Urist Mcminer cancels dig: Staring at spire.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17:51 pm »

What if we set ademantine to melt/boil at a low temp? I wan't to see what happens if it suddenly goes *poof*.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »

Jesus.  Tapdancing.  Christ.

OK, if my machine wasn't based on an Athlon 3000+, I would so embark on that map, build a fort around the spire and engrave the HELL out of it.

Then I'd turn the place into a thing reminiscent of STALKER and call my faction the Monolith.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 45