Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clear area  (Read 412 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clear area
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

I'd like some way to just generally make a space clear. Specifically I'm thinking here about small trees, which appear to be impossible to remove as it currently stands, and which can interfere with building farm plots, roads, and the like. Ideally I'd like a designation that would:

* destroy small trees
* remove or destroy boulders
* clear bushes
* move items

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Clear area
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:34:00 am »

This could be useful.   Maybe you could tear up grass too, so you could have a field-type area for farming or whatever.

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

Thirded.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

Thirded. (It was never seconded.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

I concur with this ideal, and as such it has earned my vote.  Forsooth.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Seconded.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

Hi!

The way I understand it, bushes which have been subjected to gather plants will no longer be a problem.

Small trees seem to be destroyed by dwarves trampling over them. At least I had a few destroyed that way - I remember it, because I had serious wood problems on these maps.

So, I suggest using traffic zones to make your dwarves do the dirty work for you as it is now.

But I agree that basically having an option to destroy a tree sapling quickly would be a nice feature. Maybe have an option to have chop trees include saplings which will simply disappear and not create a log.

Deathworks

Edit: Boulders are destroyed when you smooth the location they are at.

Moveable items are automatically moved out of the way when you construct a building, including roads and farm plots, but not including stockpiles. They only become a problem if they are already tasked by some other job as they become immovable until the job is done.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Deathworks ]

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

I think that by moving/destroying boulders, he meant so that it would become a grass/soil tile so you could farm there, which you can't do by smoothing. I've got mixed feelings on that one, but definitely support the move items and destroy saplings ideas  :)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside