Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did the loan shark thing ever go in?  (Read 1622 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did the loan shark thing ever go in?
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:58:38 am »

I've been reading through previous threads, and it sounded like a loan shark was all coded and practically in - what happened to that?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did the loan shark thing ever go in?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:45:27 am »

I've been reading through previous threads, and it sounded like a loan shark was all coded and practically in - what happened to that?

I think they found that the Loan shark just didn't benefit gameplay.

It was either incredably easy to pay him off or it was nearly impossible but whatcha gonna do?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:38:40 pm »

Somebody should add it as a mod.  Nuff said.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:18:55 pm »

I hit a bit of a roadblock with the loan sharks a few months ago. I kept promising myself I'd go back and work on it again, but I'm the type of person who'll take any excuse to procrastinate. At this point, there's been so many changes to the LCS code on Sourceforge, that even if it were done, I'd be afraid to submit it for fear of accidently overwriting something someone else did.

That said, I did enjoy poking around inside the "guts" of the game, and I have had a bit of a yearning to go back to it. I might load up the code this weekend, see if I can't overcome that little problem that had me stumped.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:30:55 am »

Sorry, I didn't realize it was not done.

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:09:54 am »

I hit a bit of a roadblock with the loan sharks a few months ago. I kept promising myself I'd go back and work on it again, but I'm the type of person who'll take any excuse to procrastinate. At this point, there's been so many changes to the LCS code on Sourceforge, that even if it were done, I'd be afraid to submit it for fear of accidently overwriting something someone else did.

That said, I did enjoy poking around inside the "guts" of the game, and I have had a bit of a yearning to go back to it. I might load up the code this weekend, see if I can't overcome that little problem that had me stumped.

There's no need to worry about overwriting others' changes, that's what source control is for. Just do a svn update before you push, it'll tell you if there are conflicts. (of course it doesn't know if something you did *breaks* somebody else's changes rather than just overwrites them - so you do want to test the game once you're done).

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:48:06 am »

There's no need to worry about overwriting others' changes, that's what source control is for. Just do a svn update before you push, it'll tell you if there are conflicts. (of course it doesn't know if something you did *breaks* somebody else's changes rather than just overwrites them - so you do want to test the game once you're done).

That's good to know. Thanks.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:36:03 am »

That's good to know. Thanks.
And if you can't figure out whether there are going to be conflicts (not insinuating anything, just offering), post the relevant files somewhere and link us to them. I or somebody else can integrate the changes if you can't/won't/don't want to.

Although now that I think about it, I probably won't either. Although I love LCS, it has some of the messiest code I've ever seen.