Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Couple Questions from a New Player  (Read 1779 times)

Two Angry Figs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Couple Questions from a New Player
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:04:54 pm »

Hey guys, I've just recently discovered this game, and after doing a fair bit of research it is now occupying a large amount of my time.  However, I've just got a couple questions about a few things.

First off, I've made a couple fortresses so far, most abandoned due to unorganization (I didn't know about dumping stones to make room for stockpiles  :-[ ).  Anyways, a common problem I'm having is that any time a dwarf caravan rolls into town, the hammerdwarf/macedwarf that accompany it immediately starts killing all of my animals for no apparent reason.  This is really frustrating, and this action is often this straw that breaks the back of my frustration with a particular fortress.  My most recent rendition is still alive, but I ended up losing three kittens, two puppies, and all but one of my adult dogs to the dwarves.  Why is this happening/what can be done to fix this problem?

Also, I'm playing on a mac, and I have a problem deleting names of different things.  For example, when I go to rename something, like a dwarf's occupation, or the name of a hotkey, I press the delete button, and instead of removing text it just adds these weird little triangles, which leaves some of my dwarven occupation names looking a little strange.  Again, why is this happening, and what can I do to erase these entries and replace them with my own.

I'll probably be back with more questions, but this is all I can think of for now.  I've always been a big fan of gameplay over graphics, and Dwarf Fortress is right up my alley.  Anyways, thanks for the help!

-Figs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A Couple Questions from a New Player
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:28 pm »

First off, I've made a couple fortresses so far, most abandoned due to unorganization (I didn't know about dumping stones to make room for stockpiles  :-[ ).  Anyways, a common problem I'm having is that any time a dwarf caravan rolls into town, the hammerdwarf/macedwarf that accompany it immediately starts killing all of my animals for no apparent reason.  This is really frustrating, and this action is often this straw that breaks the back of my frustration with a particular fortress.  My most recent rendition is still alive, but I ended up losing three kittens, two puppies, and all but one of my adult dogs to the dwarves.  Why is this happening/what can be done to fix this problem?
Upgrade to 31.10.   Dwarf Fortress 31.09 has a nasty bug where friendly units and your tame animals would kill each other on site.  This was fixed in 31.10.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »

First off, I've made a couple fortresses so far, most abandoned due to unorganization (I didn't know about dumping stones to make room for stockpiles  :-[ ). 

Most stockpiles will work just fine with the rocks left in place; one exception is wood. If the stone bothers you esthetically, you can hide it using the keys d > b > h.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:03:20 pm »

Im not sure if its multiplatform, but try dwarf thearpist for all ur renaming and class changing problems

Two Angry Figs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 01:38:13 pm »

How do you use Dwarf Therapist?  I've downloaded it, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

rhiesa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:41:57 pm »

Open dwarf fortress, load up your map.

Start dwarf therapist.

The two should automatically connect to each other.

In dwarf therapist click on the boxes to enable/disable skills, then click 'commit changes'. This changes the skills ingame.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »

Start dwarf therapist.

In dwarf therapist click on the boxes to enable/disable skills, then click 'commit changes'. This changes the skills ingame.

Its probably best to pause DF while making changes in DT.

Two Angry Figs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 04:33:21 pm »

Start dwarf therapist.

Should this be working if I'm using a mac?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »

You probably need to customise the key bindings to hook up your mac's delete key with the game's delete action.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.