Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 6344 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning
« on: July 15, 2010, 02:27:59 pm »

I still don't believe I fully understand the cleaning labour, is there a job in the manager for it? Also, what dictates whether people are going to do it? The bottom of my death pit is still full of blood and vomit and has been for some time even though there is clear open access to it. What gives?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:06:40 pm »

I still don't believe I fully understand the cleaning labour, is there a job in the manager for it? Also, what dictates whether people are going to do it? The bottom of my death pit is still full of blood and vomit and has been for some time even though there is clear open access to it. What gives?

I think its tasks such as dumping things you have marked for dumping, or putting bones/trash in the refuse pile.
EDIT: Oh wait, maybe thats refuse hauling...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:09:17 pm by morikal »

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure cleaning *is* for removing blood/vomit/etc, but I think it's very low priority so won't generally happen unless the dwarves w/ cleaning don't have any other tasks to do at all.

Also I don't think they'll ever clean anything they consider to be *outside* so if your death pit is (or was ever) exposed to the sky that might be why.

--nomad_delta

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:54:38 pm »

I think its tasks such as dumping things you have marked for dumping, or putting bones/trash in the refuse pile.

I was pretty sure cleaning, was dumping, as well as cleaning blood and vomit. Its like the most low priority job in the world. I've seen them clean it, and they clean more then one tile, but I dont know much about it.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:57:49 pm »

I was pretty sure cleaning, was dumping, as well as cleaning blood and vomit. Its like the most low priority job in the world. I've seen them clean it, and they clean more then one tile, but I dont know much about it.

Unless I misunderstood you there, Dumping is refuse hauling, Cleaning is when a dwarf cleans blood and ichor and such off of tiles, personally, I've never seen them "purposefully" go somewhere to clean, just the occasional "Oh look, blood, I'll clean that" sort of thing after they've been hauling stuff about, no "10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:04:20 pm »

Cleaning removes blood/vomit/ichor from a tile.  It's a low priority task.

I think it's bugged such that dwarves won't clean a tile that is sand/soil, or outdoors.

If you want to clean dirt or sand tiles, building a dirt road over it cleans it, somehow.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:13:47 pm »

"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"

Sig'd, this made me laugh quite heartily for some reason.
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:15:42 pm »

However, I can confirm that setting an area as "Meeting" greatly boosts the clean priority in that area. Dwarves will run all over it to clean up blood/ichor/whatever almost immediately, though again, this is only for underground indoor areas (so allow no light to touch it).
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.