Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Battleground Europe (aka WWIIOL)  (Read 50015 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Battleground Europe (aka WWIIOL)
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:00:10 pm »

A new patch has come out with graphical improvements and new game elements, and I'm wondering if anyone else plays this massively multiplayer military simulator. I play Axis under the handle "wesreidau", if anyone bumps into me. Free 14 days at www.battlegroundeurope.com.

Thus far I've been pleasantly rewarded for true-to-life tactics and brutally pwned for attempting Counterstrike run and gun. Its an ironsights infantry shooter similar to Red Orchestra in one aspect, a high-grade tank simulator akin to good old Panzer Commander in another, something of a 'turret shooter' as a FlaK or PaK gunner, a solid combat flight sim in another aspect, and even the very first game I ever played that let me shell Antwerp's suburbs with utter impunity from the fire control room of a Z34 Kriegsmarine destroyer. Over the course of a campaign (there have been 62 thus far) the sides improve their gear from about 1939 to 1944 weapons, making classes like the anti-tank rifle go from dominating to desperate over a course of a few weeks. However with the simulator's fidelity even a lucky burst of submachinegun fire into the driver's viewport can kill and wound tank crew.

All and all its better than the sum of its parts, and a very good development team constantly striving to improve it and listening to the player base means its a pay-to-play game where your money is an investment in a better game next patch, rather than funding for the expansion pack's development, which they'll charge you for.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleground Europe (aka WWIIOL)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:10:48 pm »

I used to play. Was fun. Especially fun was paratrooping in with 2 dozen other people. Paratrooper life expectancy was hillariously low.

Probably closest thing to an mmo Operation Flashpoint we'll ever get.

Did they eventually add panzerfausts/panzerschrecks, etc.? Was a bit daft having to fight tanks primarily with satchel charges.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:42:42 pm »

I'll check out the trial, heard a lot of good things about the game.

EDIT: Oh God. They want my billing info NOW? It's not fair :'( My dad will kill me if I ask to borrow his credit card again. I really need my own...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:47:19 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »

I've seen this before. And yes, it does look awesome. If I had the money, I'd probably play it. I'm not the biggest fan of those limited-time trials.
EDIT: Oh God. They want my billing info NOW? It's not fair :'( My dad will kill me if I ask to borrow his credit card again.
Especially after this.

Paratrooper life expectancy was hillariously low.
Just like reality. :-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »

I used to play this game, and loved it. It actually has a feeling of not wanting to die enough to make anyone hesitant to be a hero.
I just flew across the north sea and some of my comrades are pinned down by a sherman, do I try to sap it and risk death, setting me back an hour, or pretend to not hear their cries for help?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:19:03 pm »

Paratrooper life expectancy was hillariously low.
This, this so much. It was fun riding the airplane and then jumping out, but you had a 20% of living the jump after that.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:13 pm »

Hahahahah yeah, Im so entering my cc info or the free trial. Thanks, no.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:45:11 pm »

They don't charge you, if you think it's a scam.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:02:28 pm »

I know, and Im still not entering it. Piece of shit registration, grouped with a buggy site built atop of a old version of joomla, yeah, thanks no.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 06:05:56 pm »

Ill do the trial, Ive had my eye on this for a long time and looks great!

We so badly need a bay12 squad :D

*Bay12 platoon parachutes into Berlin, only surviver is Urist 'Elfhater' Mcdwarf.

From what i understand of the trial, you DO pay $14.99 after the two weeks, but you get that two weeks free (being the trial).

Be awares.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:08:28 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »

Well if you don't want to play because of a shit registration and bad website then I don't know what to say.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:33 pm »

Well if you don't want to play because of a shit registration and bad website then I don't know what to say.
It's not so much a bad registration, it's just that it's not exactly a free trial, it's more like a subscription that gives you the first two weeks free. Then again, such methods are not uncommon for subscription-based games that off an x-amount-of-time free trial.

And a website is often the main form of advertising of itself. If the website is bad, it doesn't look good for the product being advertised.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »

I'm with Pillow Killer here, providing credit card information for a trial smacks of "If you dont' cancel your account the moment your trial's up we're billing you for a month" which is sleazy business.
Shoes...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 07:59:28 pm »

How about "You're making sound and solid choices right there." without any sarcasm?

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:23 pm »

When I signed up for this back in 2006 I just used one of my mom's ridiculously overcharged credit cards to ensure that they wouldn't have a chance of charging me after the time limit. It was a solid game back then, though you really do need a joystick to appreciate the flight sim part.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36