Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36

Author Topic: Battleground Europe (aka WWIIOL)  (Read 50018 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Battleground Europe (aka WWIIOL)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »

World War II Online?  Really?  World War II Online?

If this is really an evolution of the same title I think it is, then I bought the original version of back in like 2003.  Sadly, it didn't work on my computer, but I understand it works a lot like Battlefield 1942, in terms of pseudo-realism of getting shot and operating vehicles.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »

If this is really an evolution of the same title I think it is, then I bought the original version of back in like 2003.  Sadly, it didn't work on my computer, but I understand it works a lot like Battlefield 1942, in terms of pseudo-realism of getting shot and operating vehicles.
Eh? I don't think so, to be honest. Unless you mean that a lucky shot can hit you in the head as a pilot and cause you to go pummeling to your death.
I would be willing to resubscribe if we get enough of a following, though I say we play germans.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 09:31:20 pm »

Germans are getting their asses kicked right now. All they own is about a third of Belgium, maybe less.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »

Germans are getting their asses kicked right now. All they own is about a third of Belgium, maybe less.

Eh, might be more fun. Desperate fights in the middle of blocks.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 10:38:40 pm »

I used to play it, its awesome and I want to play it again soon.

I remember one time going a paradrop but at somepoint the plane took a hit or something and had to crash land...So we ended up WALKING to the battle.

Also I had so much fun taking a ME-110 and doing strafing runs..

Damn this makes me want to resub... One thing I always wanted to do though was try out that Multi-crew feature, since IIRC you and your buddies could all take positions on like a tank and work together to kill everyone.

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 11:09:13 pm »

To anyone who plays this: Could you do an LP in the Play With Buddies section? If I saw this in action I might be compelled to play.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 12:08:23 am »

It looks interesting. Is there a WWIOL?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 02:49:54 am »

Yes, its called Tier 0, where tanks are either lumbering monstrosities or tiny tankettes.

I'm a little disappointed people won't take the free trial. They're very up-front about 19.99 first time activation and 14.99 monthly reoccuring. And as for the website, their dev team is six guys. They've better stuff to focus on than a webpage.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 03:57:30 am »

From what ive seen so far, its a fairly solid game. The realism aspects are probably the best ive seen in any game so far. People who are action hungry will be dissapointed, Ive sometimes been walking down a road for a few minutes waiting for a passing tank or truck to hop on, only to be hit by a strafing plane!

It works fairly well on my pc, though my mouse is dodgy which makes it a bit difficult!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 05:12:11 am »

Not really. Pretty much not at all like Battlefield. You can't take a few shots from anything, you can't drive a tank even though you're a sniper and you're not confined to some small map like in BF (you can at any time go anywhere in Belgium and a small chunk of France, Germany and Holland).

Also, vehicle damage locations are realistic. There's no health bar. Using an anti-tank rifle to kill a tank, you have to aim through the less armoured areas at the vital points (crew members, engine, ammo box). Similarly with satchel charges.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 06:06:58 am »

Also, vehicle damage locations are realistic. There's no health bar. Using an anti-tank rifle to kill a tank, you have to aim through the less armoured areas at the vital points (crew members, engine, ammo box). Similarly with satchel charges.
Yeah, you pretty much have to take a course in the use of ATR and satchel charges against all the tanks while being able to recognize the silhouettes of the different types of tanks to be a good sapper. A master sapper could pretty much identify the type of tank, direction the tank is in, how far away the tank is, and how damaged it is based solely on sound after much experience in the field.
Also, it's very much fun to play the game as the losing side, especially because defending is easier than attacking in the small towns where most battles take place. There's also a difference between playing on each of the sides, like how british planes are much easier to fly but an ace in a german plane has the advantage over an ace in a british one. Though don't even bother trying to fly if you have no joystick, unfortunately.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:05 am »

Is this game as realistic as, say, Arma 2? Cause I love realistic games over more arcade ones, *cough*MW2*cough*.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 06:19:08 am »

Does the "massive" in mmo hold up for this game? Or is it like 3 germans vs 4 british?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 06:24:06 am »

Does the "massive" in mmo hold up for this game? Or is it like 3 germans vs 4 british?

There was a fair amount people playing even at night when I played, unless numbers have dwindled in like a year there will always be something to do...
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 06:26:47 am »

Is this game as realistic as, say, Arma 2? Cause I love realistic games over more arcade ones, *cough*MW2*cough*.
I never played arma 2, so I can't really tell you. It's definitely more realistic than MW2 by a long shot, not arcade at all.
Also it is quite massive, with there sometimes being battles lasting several hours with forces of a hundred on each side for battles for major cities like Antwerp. It's designed so that you can always tell whether or not there are people at a battle, in any case, so you can expect to find a populated town at any time of day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36