Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36

Author Topic: Battleground Europe (aka WWIIOL)  (Read 50019 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleground Europe (aka WWIIOL)
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:57 am »

Is this game as realistic as, say, Arma 2? Cause I love realistic games over more arcade ones, *cough*MW2*cough*.
Sort of, yes. There are a few things to ease use at the cost of realism, like mobile spawn points (player-driven trucks you can set up a few kilometers outside of a town to let infantry spawn faster without having to sit in the truck during the whole drive).

But pretty much run and gun gameplay is impossible, you die from up to two shots from the basic rifle (that's assuming the first shot doesn't hit you in the torso or head) and there's also tanks and AT guns to keep you down. You'll have to do a lot of sneaking through cover and keep moving not to get detected and shot. And shooting itself takes some skill, the bullet doesn't hit immediately and flies in an arc (you can also calibrate your iron sights to compensate for this), and you pretty much have to use iron sights to hit anything farther than 2 meters. Also, it's worth noting that grenades are pretty effective in this game. Shrapnel flies everywhere and hits people meters from the explosion itself rather than have the grenades only harm those in the explosion like in most FPSes.

Also, you gain in rank for kills, point capturing and surviving. There's 3 areas for each side in which you gain rank independently - infantry (including vehicles), airforce and navy. At the beginning, you're only able to use the very simplest equipment in those categories. This is to prevent new players wasting valuable equipment, which is limited in number and there's actually a high command managing how much of what is produced and where it goes to. But as you rank up, you'll get to use more and more advanced equipment, assuming it's available at a given spawn point.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 09:52:15 am »

The supply system also sometimes leads to convoys of tanks and stuff heading to the frontline from a better supplied base, which is pretty cool.

OH! I forgot something, I don't know if it still has it but there is/was an offline practice mode like thing where you can spawn as any vehicle or with any weapon in the game, its like this big shooting range.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:59 am »

OH! I forgot something, I don't know if it still has it but there is/was an offline practice mode like thing where you can spawn as any vehicle or with any weapon in the game, its like this big shooting range.

Does that require a subscription?

It's not that I'm complaining about how you have to pay for a free trial, I'm just pissed that I don't have a credit card(or any money).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:30 am »

Does that require a subscription?

It's not that I'm complaining about how you have to pay for a free trial, I'm just pissed that I don't have a credit card(or any money).

I don't believe so.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 05:09:20 pm »

Anyone know a way to invert mouse Y axis? If it's in the ingame preferences then it's well hidden.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 11:17:13 am »

Found out, appears you have to invert the infantry aim axis, not the view look axis.

So I've played this for a few hours, and it has its appeals. Graphics are simple but functional, although I think they could be improved with very little effort, especially the environment. What's impressive is the scale, battles and the battleground feel very massive and cover a lot of area. Towns become truly bombed out hellholes after a while. I haven't been able to do much yet apart from dying though, and as a rifleman it seems like you're lucky to even get a glimpse of the guy who kills you. Only time I managed to stay alive for any length of time was when I tagged along with some sappers in an opel, who drove around blowing up enemy ammo dumps or whatever they were. I guess I should read a noobie guide or something.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 11:28:21 am »

looks cool, but the monthly is too expensive for me
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 04:10:08 pm »

Found out, appears you have to invert the infantry aim axis, not the view look axis.

So I've played this for a few hours, and it has its appeals. Graphics are simple but functional, although I think they could be improved with very little effort, especially the environment. What's impressive is the scale, battles and the battleground feel very massive and cover a lot of area. Towns become truly bombed out hellholes after a while. I haven't been able to do much yet apart from dying though, and as a rifleman it seems like you're lucky to even get a glimpse of the guy who kills you. Only time I managed to stay alive for any length of time was when I tagged along with some sappers in an opel, who drove around blowing up enemy ammo dumps or whatever they were. I guess I should read a noobie guide or something.
I think there are a few newbie guides that deal with basic infantry stuff. Also, you may want to get a feel for your rifle at different ranges with the testing range, though the real difficulty is learning how far ahead of your enemy you need to shoot, I suppose.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 05:47:46 pm »

If you intend to try being sapper or ATR infantry, be sure to check out screens of tank types, vital points for Axis and vital points for Allies. The tank types may also be useful if you want to report incoming tanks to teammates.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 03:24:26 am »

I went Benedict Arnold and drove a Churchill Mk VII for a bit. It has the Sherman's great HE, sucky AP mid-velocity 75mm gun on a chassis that waddles forward and backward constantly from shit suspension and manages ten miles an hour on a good day. But man, did I go to town. Took out an AT gun, a StuG, and a Panzer IV by simply keeping my front armor to them while waddling my stupid, fat self on by, slamming out rounds with no particular reason. The Panzer IV got my turret crew knocked out, though. I broke onto an Axis airfield and proceeded across it, only to be jumped by another AT gun and a Panzer III H that was sorely outclassed against my armor. What do I do? Back into a hangar, use the bow MG to shoot planes taking off, and ignore the incoming point-blank fire for some five minutes until a Panzer IV flanked me through the back of the hangar. What a hillarious time.

Yeah, allies are easy mode and Axis is getting stomped this campaign. As an infantryman stick to the bushes and the berms, stay low, sprint in little bursts and dive behind cover, constantly watch for the enemy and be cautious, observant, and smart. And never underestimate the superior effectiveness of your rifle against exposed infantry with the range dialed in. Leading isn't much of a concern against a jogging infantryman, just put the sights about one yard ahead of him for every hundred if he's running due left or right, half that at an angle or if jogging, or just put the sights on him directly and shoot under 100. The bullet is very, very fast, and in a normal engagement leading isn't much of a concern at all.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 11:45:30 am »

I used to play back when it was free to play (or it was a free trial, or they offered us a free subscription or something)

I remember defending a base with an AT canon. Back then I didn't know the difference between HE shells and AP shells so I kept pounding a bunch of incoming panzers with HE shells. If I was using AP shells they'd all have been dead.

My fondest memory though, was spawning as a rifleman with 3-4 other people. We were waiting around the FOB waiting for a truck or something to spawn when the ammo crate (or the flag, I don't remember) spontaneously combusted. We assumed this meant that the FOB had despawned for some reason, so we started hoofing it (the game world is about 1:1 scale I believe). While walking down the road we see a single enemy plane approaching us. My buddies ducked behind the dip at the side of the road while I stood directly in the middle of the road, casually brought up my rifle, and took a single shot at the plane. I have absolutely no clue what exactly happened, but I saw the plane kinda veer off and crash into the ground. My only guess is I made the most awesome shot ever made and took the pilot out, or I hit something extremely vital in the engine...

But ya, I wish that this was free to play, because I really like the concept.

EDIT: This was much much closer to the early stages of the game, it wasn't what it was like when I somewhat recently played the trial.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »

My buddies ducked behind the dip at the side of the road while I stood directly in the middle of the road, casually brought up my rifle, and took a single shot at the plane. I have absolutely no clue what exactly happened, but I saw the plane kinda veer off and crash into the ground. My only guess is I made the most awesome shot ever made and took the pilot out, or I hit something extremely vital in the engine...

Every vehicle has detailed hitboxes with crew included so if the bullet had enough joules to punch through the cockpit (not too far and good angle of impact) its perfectly possible...but it had be a helluva shot.
I managed to bring down a plane with lmg and once i heavily damaged a plane with smg (it started to loose fuel or oil or something)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 01:36:46 pm »

I'm playing axis since, well, being the underdog has its merits too. And with the current campaign you really get to experience the underdog part. The allied war machine seems to be able to churn out 4-5 tanks for every axis tank, and their strategic moves seems a lot more organized than the somewhat flustered defence by the german high command. Axis seems to currently be a bit lacking on the tactical level too, there aren't really any plans to speak of when organizing the defense of a town. Allied attacks this weekends have been pretty authentic combined arms blitz attacks with overwhelming forces. Not much a poor rifleman can do about a column of tanks barreling down on him. Almost a volksturm simulation.

Still fun in the DF sense though. There's been a few glorious last stands this weekend, with city battles more impressive than any movie. Even managed to kill some guys, and knifed a frog who was bravely hiding in the bushes.

I might start paying moneys for this game.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2010, 02:06:49 pm »

I want this incredibly bad. I've been dreaming of something like this ever since Close Combat in the 90's. Money's tight though, but if I can ever convince my parents to get me an MMO while I'm at Uni, this will be it. The problem with wanting it so bad is that I'm practically breathing on Starcraft II right now, so it's ripping me apart... my love for WWII history and FPS's, especially historical/accurate... and my love for Blizzard RTS's...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2010, 02:27:00 pm »

I always liked updating campaign maps so that's one thing the site has for it. I remember seeing this a while back and really liking the look of it, I'll put this on my list of shit I need to try when I get the time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:28:38 pm by Jackrabbit »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36