Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Megaproject (31.10): Orbital Defense Network  (Read 46594 times)

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject (31.10): Orbital Defense Network
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2010, 01:19:06 pm »

I want the finished product to be a smooth and responsive tactical resource rather than a creaky airborne death lottery.

Sigged. Thank you sir.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

Hmm, possibly I wasn't paying enough attention to this thread, but how many z-levels above the ground are your magma-carrying pipes Terisuke?

I am experimenting with a similar cave-in gun construction, although mine is more random and operates on a more of a "dump water then magma over the entire map and hope they mix evenly" principle.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2010, 05:18:22 pm »

I think it is 100 or so.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 06:07:45 pm »

Hmm, possibly I wasn't paying enough attention to this thread, but how many z-levels above the ground are your magma-carrying pipes Terisuke?

I am experimenting with a similar cave-in gun construction, although mine is more random and operates on a more of a "dump water then magma over the entire map and hope they mix evenly" principle.

Not to quash breadbocks's grand dreams, but due to the volcano's altitude and the varying terrain below, the bottom of my reservoirs sit at around 20-25z above ground.  The pipes themselves are therefore more like 25-30z, and the top of the magma tap is just shy of 40z.  I'm definitely going to try and utilize Osmosis Jones's solution concerning the belowground shafts, but I'm concerned about their impact on, well, impact.  If the floor disappears, so too do the advantageous aspects of the mechanism - dust, magma mist, etc will all start appearing well belowground, and it will limit the flow of my magma to a smaller area.  I may opt to instead build preexisting stairway scaffolds at a safe remove from the drop field, which will be extended over after the dust has cleared to safely excavate the column where it stands. 

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »

Why not have the water fall onto a floor tile surrounded by walls on all but one side, forcing it to splash out that one side?
Well, I'm not sure how splash dynamics work in DF.  If previous experience holds true, the tile would generate mist and displace the water so that it flowed around the tile, but would do nothing to convey untoward horizontal momentum.  This generally agrees with what osmosis jones said earlier, as well.  Unsupported liquids only move down. 
Right, it hits the tile, and moves to the side one tile, into the path of the magma.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »

Why not have the water fall onto a floor tile surrounded by walls on all but one side, forcing it to splash out that one side?
Well, I'm not sure how splash dynamics work in DF.  If previous experience holds true, the tile would generate mist and displace the water so that it flowed around the tile, but would do nothing to convey untoward horizontal momentum.  This generally agrees with what osmosis jones said earlier, as well.  Unsupported liquids only move down. 
Right, it hits the tile, and moves to the side one tile, into the path of the magma.

Right, I've got that covered - my problem is getting it to go into the inner four squares of the flow, not just the outer edge. 

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2010, 09:42:00 pm »

It shouldn't limit magma flow at all, as long as the depth of the pit matches the volume of obsidian dropped. The solid obsidian wall will fill up and force any magma in the pit straight back out of it. Furthermore, until the obsidian drops, there will always be a floor tile over it, so the falling magma should spread as always. Losing the dust might be an issue though, it depends on how much is put out when it crunches through the capping floor tile. Advantage of this method though is the capping tile is recast with every firing, allowing safe access to clean up crews.

Just to clarify btw, side view of what I'm talking about;

Code: [Select]
  ~~~
~~~~~~~     <- Magma
_______      <- Floor Tiles
### ###     
### ###
###_C__      <-Access Tunnel with constructed wall (C) at base.
Before Drop

~~~
~~~~~~~
_______
###D###     
###D###
###DC__
After Drop, D= dropped obsidian.

Depth will of course correspond to obsidian volume.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:51 pm »

The big issue is whether or not caveins crashing through a construct produce the dust required to immobilize enemies for the magma flow to encapsulate.  As long as the magma flow reaches the extent of the cavein dust cloud, we're good to go - outside of that, I can deploy an exterior reservoir to fill in. 

Also, it's a bit more complex because I really have no experience with how tall this obsidian tower is going to go - it could fill in seconds, for all I know.  Hopefully it does so in a way that blocks the flow rather than breaks the pipes. 

I should have some actual Science on this next week or so, so stay tuned.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2010, 11:03:17 pm »

Just make the pits one z-level deep and drop 4x4x1 z-level of water for your cave-in rig. You'll get two z-levels of dust and one of magma mist, and you can just dig out the impact zone after each drop.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2010, 02:49:58 pm »

Has there been much development on this recently?  It would be a shame if something like this was left behind.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:21 pm »

Next Project! retrofit the orbital cannon to coat in magma, then soak in water to fossilize all resistance.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2010, 05:38:50 am »

crazy, crazy, defenses... :o

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:30 pm »

Defenses?

if I could make it, and somehow manage to make it work, my fossilization cannon idea could be used to terraform :P

*Mayor facepalms*

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2010, 02:47:10 pm »

I think that teraforming isn't that hard: just make a pump stack thats pumping up magma and another thats pumping water eventually everything will start to get covered in obsidion (make shure you have at least one set of ramps/stairs 1 z level above the production off all this or you might get into trubble with getting up again)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »

But PRECISION. You could build entire towers that way and simply carve out the insides afterwards. Or destroy the entire world if it breaks.BUT NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED.

*Mayor facepalms*

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]