Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Oh, the heavenly ASCII  (Read 5104 times)

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, the heavenly ASCII
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:31 am »

Plus I've seen places where parts of the actual text get changed into symbols too.  Like a [ getting turned into a shirt, so you have random little shirts scattered amongst the text.  Someone claimed to me that doesn't happen anymore, but I keep seeing things like that pop up in screenshots, so it can't be all that fixed.

Once full graphics support is in so I don't have text getting confuse'd with descriptive tiles and all that, I'll worry about tilesets more.
It used to do that for me :) I might try ascii eventually but i'm sticking to the most recent mayday tileset for now :D
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 05:10:54 am »

These days I proudly use the matric tile set, and hoping that the lower case letters get a make over to make them less readable.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:10 am »

I recently remembered this one. The captnduck tutorials had it, and I redownloaded it. It's nice.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Guybrush
I use that one, plus the Dystopian_Rhetoric creature graphics plus a few of my own sprites (mule/donkey?, goat and doctor dwarf)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:45 am »

I've always used ASCII, although i have switched to a 12x12 set from the wiki.

It's what I'm used to, Graphics sets mess with me (imo, 16x16 is way to small for a unambiguous, meaningful icon, especially when there's dozens on screen at once). Even the more "graphical" plain sets mess with me... because it's not what i'm used to...

Might try the matrix tileset sometime though... :D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 09:14:18 pm »

I've been ASCII-only long before I even discovered DF. Rogue, Nethack, ADOM, and even several my own attempts at making rogue-likes made me perfectly tolerant to simple UIs.
Never tried tilesets myself, but screenshots of them annoy me. They give a very cheap look to DF.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:54 am »

It's weird. DF is one of the two things I can stand ASCII in (the other is Stone Soup), and I don't like it elsewhere. However, ASCII in DF looks so much better than any tilesets. I think it might be the varied ground tiles and its tendency to not just put boring black space everywhere. It makes it look more natural and clean.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 09:22:11 am »

I played with ASCII before , but it iritated my eyes and I couldn't advance to make a fortress and learn wath to do
Right now I am playing with the phoebus tilepack
Desu

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 10:42:57 am »

I started with ASCII to make sure I understood the game in its raw form before I started building my tileset. ASCII simply provides too little information for my taste. If Toady adds much more to the game he's going to start running into serious character reuse problems.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)
Pages: 1 2 [3]