Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: DFize - opensource 3D visualizer - 0.1.5 (updated 2010-08-09)  (Read 34750 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFize - Realtime visualizer (Dwarven spacesim?)
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2010, 01:38:38 am »

I uploaded a Youtube video of a fly around of my succession fort (link in sig).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2010, 05:02:20 am »

I am following this for epic win.

I might even help out with some stuff.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2010, 05:06:03 am »

So, is this eventually going to be the visualizer that we've been waiting for?The detail of stonesense and the graphics of VF, all working for 31.x?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2010, 05:43:37 am »

So, is this eventually going to be the visualizer that we've been waiting for?The detail of stonesense and the graphics of VF, all working for 31.x?
It will if I have anything to do with it.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2010, 05:50:43 am »

Hell, if I can see anything at all in 3D that's enough for me. We haven't had true 3D in nearly four months.

Gonna give it a download.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2010, 05:52:46 am »

Are the pixelated textures with minimal resolution only placeholders or are they there for autenticity? Could your program handle say, 256^2 textures without lagging? If you want to stay with 16^2 Textures it might be difficult to come up with better ones than you already have.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2010, 08:37:57 am »

The door really makes me chuckle.

Kind of looks like Wolfenstein 3d graphics right now...
That's exactly what I thought when I took that screenshot :)
Hopefully it will soon look a little more like 2000 (at least), than 1990 :)

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2010, 08:39:13 am »

Sounds interesting, which of your labours are above Legendary +3?  ;D

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2010, 08:42:54 am »

Are the pixelated textures with minimal resolution only placeholders or are they there for autenticity? Could your program handle say, 256^2 textures without lagging? If you want to stay with 16^2 Textures it might be difficult to come up with better ones than you already have.
They are just placeholders. I'm kind of rushing stuff out right now to have something to show. I'll overhaul textures/meshes as we go and if anyone is interested in helping out I would be very happy.

256^2 textures should be fine. The generic stone detail map is actually 256^2 right now, even if the actual image is too pixelated to notice ;)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2010, 09:08:57 am »

Sounds interesting, which of your labours are above Legendary +3?  ;D

well, I'm not bad with programming and modelling, and I'm okay-ish with texturing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2010, 09:14:28 am »

That's exactly what I thought when I took that screenshot :)
Hopefully it will soon look a little more like 2000 (at least), than 1990 :)

They are just placeholders. I'm kind of rushing stuff out right now to have something to show. I'll overhaul textures/meshes as we go and if anyone is interested in helping out I would be very happy.

256^2 textures should be fine. The generic stone detail map is actually 256^2 right now, even if the actual image is too pixelated to notice ;)

I would like to see this work, so I'd be happy to provide some textures  (I can't say I have any experience with making 3d engines, though).  Should I take 256x256 as a target texture size?

Also, will the dwarves themselves (and all the creatures) be 3d, made of seperate parts?  Will that mean we have, say, seperate hair textures, face textures, body textures, etc. that get stitched together dynamically, so that we have facial features and such appear in the rendering, the way that many modern games do?

(edit: I have a level of experience that makes me comfortable with CAD programs, but haven't done modelling for a game before, and don't have any programs/plugins for it, although I'm certainly not above learning and finding some.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:34:05 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2010, 10:05:53 am »

I think that if you do render individual dwarves, you should have an option to turn it off and just render them as cubes/generic stick figure things. You should probably also include a bunch of LoD stuff, texture size and all that.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2010, 11:36:07 am »

I don't mean to pry, but how did you "link" the visualizer and DF so it displays as you go?  I taking a class type thing for Source and it sounds like it could be a cool project to work on, I just don't know how to have my "visualizer" update automatically off of DF.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2010, 11:41:06 am »

I think that if you do render individual dwarves, you should have an option to turn it off and just render them as cubes/generic stick figure things. You should probably also include a bunch of LoD stuff, texture size and all that.
definitely

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2010, 11:46:45 am »

I would like to see this work, so I'd be happy to provide some textures  (I can't say I have any experience with making 3d engines, though).  Should I take 256x256 as a target texture size?

Also, will the dwarves themselves (and all the creatures) be 3d, made of seperate parts?  Will that mean we have, say, seperate hair textures, face textures, body textures, etc. that get stitched together dynamically, so that we have facial features and such appear in the rendering, the way that many modern games do?

(edit: I have a level of experience that makes me comfortable with CAD programs, but haven't done modelling for a game before, and don't have any programs/plugins for it, although I'm certainly not above learning and finding some.)
That would be awesome. I would recommend blender for modelling. There's a great tutorial on the interface here.

Also, creatures (and especially dwarves) will be very dynamic (hopefully on the level you see in the raws). Not sure how far in the future that is though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18