Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flying Dwarves No Longer Broken?  (Read 2527 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Flying Dwarves No Longer Broken?
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:19:19 pm »

So I heard at Something Awful that pathfinding for flying player-controlled creatures is no longer broken.

I attempted to test this by having my dwarves build walls on top of each other. It appeared that they would indeed fly to place the next wall component, though I couldn't trace their path. However, when laying down floor in the air, the dwarves stuck to an all-land pathway.

When I collapsed my impromptu structure, the collapser remained in the air, staring down at the ruin that he had caused. There didn't appear to be any cancel spam.

Can anyone confirm my findings?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flying Dwarves No Longer Broken?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:51 pm »

Yeah I've had my dwarfs fly into open space to build a wall but still need something to stand on to build floor

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »

Looks like you're going to see a lot of flying dwarfs...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »

How 'bout swimming dwarves?

I imagine that even if amphibious dwarves can comfortably pathfind through water, they still won't be able to build things down there, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:26:14 pm »

That be a problem still... Only because there is no way that I can think of making water go away easily. I think 2/7 is when you can't build anything any more.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:49:23 pm »

I'm in adventure mode Right now i steped off the ledge and I'm Flying!

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

I'm able to go up and down using >< while flying!

Stungun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »

I can tell you that flying partially works in .08.

(Flying) Dwarves will path through the air, but only if they could access the destination by land. Which means if you've got say, a compltely enclosed structure with an underground tunnel leading the long way around to the outside, dwarves will happily fly over the wall as a shortcut. But if you seal over that tunnel, they won't fly over. Moreover, because of this, dwarves can get stuck on top of walls they've just built and you'll often need to build a ramp to get them down.

Dwarves that find themselves in the air with no jobs to do will remain in the air as well, since they can't path anywhere; they can't 'walk' out of the air, and are stuck in the air until you build a bridge or something up to them. A dwarf will move cardinally or diagonally out of the air one space to get unstuck, but not up or down.

I don't know if this has changed in .10 though.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:03:47 pm »

What of flying traders? I recall one of the problems with that was they'd quickly fly directly to the depot, leaving their animals behind.

Ohnoninja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:48:18 pm »

So I heard at Something Awful that pathfinding for flying player-controlled creatures is no longer broken.
Sup. Thank my obsessive modding for that little discovery. Also the Mushroom Kingdom mod.
(Flying) Dwarves will path through the air, but only if they could access the destination by land. Which means if you've got say, a compltely enclosed structure with an underground tunnel leading the long way around to the outside, dwarves will happily fly over the wall as a shortcut. But if you seal over that tunnel, they won't fly over. Moreover, because of this, dwarves can get stuck on top of walls they've just built and you'll often need to build a ramp to get them down.

Dwarves that find themselves in the air with no jobs to do will remain in the air as well, since they can't path anywhere; they can't 'walk' out of the air, and are stuck in the air until you build a bridge or something up to them. A dwarf will move cardinally or diagonally out of the air one space to get unstuck, but not up or down.
Awesome info. What I want to know is if this affects sieges. I've really wanted to test, but in a fit of irony, despite having 12 evil races, I haven't gotten a single siege or thief, even though I know it's enabled in the ini. Well not before my current modding experiment causes a fatal error. If so, flying siegers will be a terrifying thing.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »

Now this makes me wonder if I can get certain castes to be able to fly.. Although I believe I can I havent looked into it myself.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Emong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 05:04:26 pm »

Now this makes me wonder if I can get certain castes to be able to fly.. Although I believe I can I havent looked into it myself.

Yep, the [FLIER] token is caste-level, so that works.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 05:50:35 pm »

Also, this was done in Wizard Tower mod.  Only white wizards fly.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.