Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unsatisfyable mandates/moods  (Read 1706 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Unsatisfyable mandates/moods
« on: June 08, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

I think that dwarves should not mandate of request in moods items that do not exist in your biome and cannot be imported.
You cannot import adamantine. Sometimes your map has no turtles and thus no shell, and thus sometimes failed moods.
However, if adamantine exists undiscovered on your map, they may request it. If turtles exist on your map, they may ask for shell. If they feel like a mandate, they will pick an different available material or item instead, that they also like. In the case of moods, they will pick stuff that you could conceivably make.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unsatisfyable mandates/moods
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

I rather like dwarves wanting items that is impossible or very hard for them to acquire.
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

Not to mention it is rather easy to find out what nobles will ask for in advance.

It is in their likes (I found that out when I noticed my Mayor only dealt with Fine Pewter items)

As for Moods... it is fine... but with how common shell requests are... "Turtle" should be on the normal starting templates rather then something you have to manually add.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »

But there are problems arising in deserts, or other water-scarce climates, or when turtles have been fished to local extinction.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

I think it's perfectly feasible that some nobleman wants something he can't reasonably have.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Techhead:
<STRONG>But there are problems arising in deserts, or other water-scarce climates, or when turtles have been fished to local extinction.</STRONG>

I still doubt a dwarf will compromise on the wonderfully inspired artifact that he has thought up.  Which will probably be the one and perhaps the only great achievement of his life.  Which will explain why the go insane when they are unable to complete their artifact.  Because they are unable to live their life with the eternal regret of never being able to complete their greatest task in life.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

I'm find with nobles making stupid mandates, since the penalty is at least somewhat possible to control (you can try to protect the "criminal", or just kill the noble before his mandate expires). Dwarves getting impossible moods is less good, since it basically amounts to random dwarf death. I'm not a fan of dwarves being unavoidably killed by random events.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>I'm find with nobles making stupid mandates, since the penalty is at least somewhat possible to control (you can try to protect the "criminal", or just kill the noble before his mandate expires). Dwarves getting impossible moods is less good, since it basically amounts to random dwarf death. I'm not a fan of dwarves being unavoidably killed by random events.</STRONG>

I find that rather neat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

Maybe Nobles should be more relaxed with mandates that cannot be fulfilled rather then eliminate them.

Then again they are alright as they are.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Maybe Nobles should be more relaxed with mandates that cannot be fulfilled rather then eliminate them.

Then again they are alright as they are.</STRONG>

Nothing says "please kill me now" than mandating the construction of a crystal glass window.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

Relative to how much work it takes to make Crystal Glass and how rare the ingrediants are... I am surprised it is only worth 20.

Anyhow so for my example instead of the Noble putting the guy away for 20 days he would be happy with 10 or 5.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

Noble mandates should check to see if the resulting item or items could be made in that fort. If it lacked the necessary materials or dwarves, then no mandate happens and the noble gets a minor negative thought (Urist McDuke wanted a crystal glass item but had no way to obtain one).

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MaxVance:
<STRONG>Noble mandates should check to see if the resulting item or items could be made in that fort. If it lacked the necessary materials or dwarves, then no mandate happens and the noble gets a minor negative thought (Urist McDuke wanted a crystal glass item but had no way to obtain one).</STRONG>

Unless the noble is a selfish asshole of course.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Nobles are meant to be out of touch with reality, and a dwarf wouldnt comprimise his vision just because he cant get something, I have never had a dwarf die from wanting something for an artifact he simply could not get (Although I have had them die because they couldnt wait for the caravan). So nobles shouldnt care about reality and have dwarfs punished anyway and dwarfs should never comprimise their vision, after all you can theoretically hoard one of each item in a locked room for moods
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thatguyyaknow:
<STRONG>Nobles are meant to be out of touch with reality, and a dwarf wouldnt comprimise his vision just because he cant get something, I have never had a dwarf die from wanting something for an artifact he simply could not get (Although I have had them die because they couldnt wait for the caravan). So nobles shouldnt care about reality and have dwarfs punished anyway and dwarfs should never comprimise their vision, after all you can theoretically hoard one of each item in a locked room for moods</STRONG>

except sand and crystal glass.  O and adamantine too.

Pages: [1] 2