Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I'm going to get a rat for my birthday.  (Read 6200 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to get a rat for my birthday.
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2010, 10:09:34 am »

I think it's a dog, actually.

Anyhow yeah still pushing Count Diablo von Sizzlepuff here.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2010, 10:31:57 am »

Perhaps an evil cat/rat/rabbit hybrid?
It's a Shih Tzu. A dog. You couldn't be more wrong.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2010, 11:25:20 am »

Hm. I've had a lot of rats, so here's some stuff you might want to know:
1) Rats are very social. If you're getting one, you should put serious thought into getting another same-sex rat to keep it company unless you're willing to spend a lot of time with it.
2) There's actually a lot of difference between owning a male and female rat. Females tend to be smaller and cleaner and more energetic and curious. Males are bigger, have oily fur, and tend to be more calm. A male will fall asleep on your shoulder, a female will do laps around your shoulders and explore your hair. Both will pee on you a lot.
3) As long as they're well-socialized they will probably never bite, unless you get in the habit of sticking food through the bars of their cage. They'll start snapping at anything coming through the bars if you do that.
4) Chances are they're going to end up with health problems within a few years. Domestic rats are extremely prone to respiratory disasters and (females especially) cancer. I had three of mine end up with perpetually-growing tumors. Also note that certain strains of lab rats have been purposefully bred to be predisposed to certain health problems.
5) Make sure the cage and bedding is suitable. Avoid cages with wire bottoms or shelves and stay away from cedar and pine-based litter. Also, make sure to give them plenty of safe stuff to chew on.

Sorry if you already knew any of this. :)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2010, 01:30:45 pm »

Perhaps an evil cat/rat/rabbit hybrid?
It's a Shih Tzu. A dog. You couldn't be more wrong.
Eh, my dad wouldn't be so sure. Growing up, we had 2 Shih Tzus. He constantly referred to one of them as a rat.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »

Do not forget that rats need to eat like their own wight in food every day or some such.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:06 pm »

Do not forget that rats need to eat like their own wight in food every day or some such.

If they're eating their own weight in food, they probably poop half their weight in food too.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2010, 02:01:48 pm »

Hamsters eat their own poop.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 02:07:35 pm »

Hamsters eat their own poop.

So my scottish terrier was a hamster...?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]