Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF is all about the little (and even pointless) details.  (Read 5969 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF is all about the little (and even pointless) details.
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:20:42 am »

So one of my squads took quite a beating on a goblin ambush ( bolts and arrows are too deadly - again - in 31.10 ) resulting in three dead soldiers and three very badly wounded ones. The new health system work almost flawlessly now too, and two of them survive - but one of them had his guts popped out. I recoil in disgust when I think what his enemies would do with the exposed guts in combat, and he is relieved from military duty, returning to work as a furnace operator.

When he left his bed, I recoil again, of disgust and surprise. He now has two ~ following his dwarven smile everywhere. He is quite slow now, but he survived. I'm not in my computer to post a screenshot, but I found amusing how Toady thinks even in these small details. Though I don't know how someone could survive this kind of wounds! I thought this dwarf deserved an end to his misery, but after seeing he working and happy, albeit very slowly due to his condition, I couldn't do it.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF is all about the little (and even pointless) details.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:44 am »

perhaps you could convince him to tie them in a nice bow into his beard, so nobody accidentally steps on them?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:54:34 am »

i can imagine seeing the food he eats go down into his stomach
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:07:26 am »

Promote him to sherrif. Maybe he will strangle someone to death with his guts.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell Dwarf Fortress without autism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 09:35:50 am »

I wonder what would happen if you tried chopping the last ~ off. Like a system with an opened door followed by a pressure plate.

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWW
...DP..
WWWWWWW

W=Wall
D=Door
P=Pressure plate

*Insert cackling laughter here*
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:08:30 pm »

Wow... a dwarf is dragging his intestines all over the place and is in constant terrible pain and one of the first suggestions is to hack off his guts with an intricate mechanical contraption. This truly is Dwarf Fortress :o

(But I think, the door would simply be blocked. If a monarch butterfly corpse can do it, a part of the dwarven digestive system can do it any day)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

mardukarn

• Bay Watcher
  • Urgescourges the Ungodly Fiend of Juices
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:51:08 pm »

I had a poor little kitten get disemboweled ("Her guts is popped out.") and she dragged them around behind her for several years. Not sure what happened to her. Probably slaughtered. I should have let her grow up and see if she became a cat with bowels trailing 2 squares behind her.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 04:16:54 pm »

So one of my squads took quite a beating on a goblin ambush ( bolts and arrows are too deadly - again - in 31.10 ) resulting in three dead soldiers and three very badly wounded ones. The new health system work almost flawlessly now too, and two of them survive - but one of them had his guts popped out. I recoil in disgust when I think what his enemies would do with the exposed guts in combat, and he is relieved from military duty, returning to work as a furnace operator.

When he left his bed, I recoil again, of disgust and surprise. He now has two ~ following his dwarven smile everywhere. He is quite slow now, but he survived. I'm not in my computer to post a screenshot, but I found amusing how Toady thinks even in these small details. Though I don't know how someone could survive this kind of wounds! I thought this dwarf deserved an end to his misery, but after seeing he working and happy, albeit very slowly due to his condition, I couldn't do it.
i believe this goes under "moments that make you love DF" thread
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »

Wow... a dwarf is dragging his intestines all over the place and is in constant terrible pain and one of the first suggestions is to hack off his guts with an intricate mechanical contraption. This truly is Dwarf Fortress :o

(But I think, the door would simply be blocked. If a monarch butterfly corpse can do it, a part of the dwarven digestive system can do it any day)

That's a shame.

By the way, can you grasp exposed intestines in battle? The thought of throwing someone like a lasso by their guts is quite... exciting.
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 05:06:02 pm »

Sigged.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 11:22:37 pm »

By the way, can you grasp exposed intestines in battle? The thought of throwing someone like a lasso by their guts is quite... exciting.

I love this game...I thought I'd done every kind of cruelty known to dwarfkind, but new versions keep on making more options.

Exposed guts...I mean, wow.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 04:48:12 am »

I wonder if there can be different quantities of guts popped out. For example, could you see one dwarf with "~~" while another has "~~~~~~"?

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:03:20 am »

Don't distended intestines need to be kept warm?

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 06:15:34 am »

Atom-smash the trail.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 08:57:13 am »

I love this game...I thought I'd done every kind of cruelty known to dwarfkind, but new versions keep on making more options.

Exposed guts...I mean, wow.

One of the old Dev items suggested that we'd be able to strangle someone with his exposed intestines, I believe.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (