Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Cthulhu Makes a Game  (Read 11590 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Cthulhu Makes a Game
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »

Alright, here's what's going on.  I am a huge flake.  If it will take longer than two or three days of work to complete something, and it's not a matter of life and death, I will not finish it.

I'm tired of that.  I am going to make this game, and I am going to make it 100%.

The game is Budgetsoft Presents:  The Dragon Returns.  I got the name from the VGNG.

This is the premise.  It's going to be a Zelda-esque game, but not as big.  You are Budgetsoft, royal messenger of some kingdom.  You come to a different kingdom to inform the King that the Dragon has returned.  The king, being short on knights, charges you with slaying it. 

There will be five or so main dungeons, each containing a key to the dragon's lair.  Once you have all five, you may (I haven't decided yet) need to discover the dragon's lair, or it may be somewhere obvious.  We'll see.  In addition to the keys, each dungeon boss will drop some material which can be given to a certain NPC.  That NPC will craft the item into a new piece of equipment.  While there won't be a set order to the dungeons, certain dungeons may require equipment you gain in other dungeons, or may just be easier with certain equipment.

In addition to the main dungeons, there may be several optional dungeons with rewards that help, but aren't necessary to beat the game.

There will also be towns and the like, maybe even a few side quests.

I'll be making it in game maker, I have a decent grasp of how it works and I have some experience making similar games, but I flaked out on them.

There will be Dwarf Fortress references, at least one.  I plan on making one of the NPCs the Arsenal Dwarf.  He was expelled from DF and the King hired him.  He'll help the player by selling or crafting new weapons and armor, and maybe give advice on challenges, if they fit his expertise.

That's the basic premise, I'm also working on a more complete design document, but I'm not going to publish it because there will be spoilers and stuff.

I'll be doing most of it on my own, but once it's close to completion I may start reaching out for help with spriting and art, which is my weak point.

What does bay12 think?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:01:43 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Makes a Game - Game Maker
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 01:13:08 pm »

You're gonna make that, in game maker? O_O
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:14:09 pm »

This is interesting.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »

You're gonna make that, in game maker? O_O

I've seen some pretty detailed and in-depth games made in Game Maker.  Is everyone getting gamemaker confused with RPGMaker or is it not as powerful as I think it is?
Shoes...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:34:08 pm »

Let me guess,your going to call it "The Call Of Cthulhu"?

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:36:09 pm »

well, i hear that Iji was made in game maker, and from what i've heard, it's good.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:36:49 pm »

well, i hear that Iji was made in game maker, and from what i've heard, it's good.

Iji was made in Game Maker? I love that game.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 01:39:30 pm »

Let me guess,your going to call it "The Call Of Cthulhu"?

Let me guess,your not going to read the thread?

Anyway, if Iji could be made in Game Maker 5, this game can definitely be made in Game Maker 8.  I'ma do this.

Update:  Budgetsoft is successfully moving around an object testing room.  We are now at version .001
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 01:45:54 pm »

I think GameMaker gets a bad rap not because it can't make bad games, but because a lot of games made with it are bad.  I also remember using a demo version of it in 2002 after playing a few games made with it, and nothing about either experience sold me on the concept.

Cthulhu, you have already inspired me to make my own game in GameMaker.  It can be done.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:53 pm »

I think GameMaker gets a bad rap not because it can't make bad games, but because a lot of games made with it are bad.  I also remember using a demo version of it in 2002 after playing a few games made with it, and nothing about either experience sold me on the concept.

Cthulhu, you have already inspired me to make my own game in GameMaker.  It can be done.
Go Aqizzar!you can do it!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »

I, too, have been inspired to grab a copy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

The games I made were all horrible, mainly because I was a little kid.  I was only half-flake back then.  Instead of giving up, I would just hit a point where I didn't want to keep going and rush to finish the game at that point.  I'd have a really good first mission (By really good, I mean slightly less horrible than the last mission), a decent second (Again, comparatively decent), and then a final mission I threw together in five minutes)
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:57:15 pm »

Yeah, I made all kinds of games with the Hamster Republic RPG maker and The War Engine when I was a teenager.  They never got beyond a few maps and a dungeon boss, but at least I tried ideas and made things.  When the Unreal Engine went freeware I momentarily entertained making something with it, but it looked really hard and I decided not to.  Now that GameMaker is actually competent and does stuff and doesn't cost money, I'm in like Flynn.  Hopefully.

True to the legacy of GameMaker attempts, my first game will be a Sonic clone, probably using barely-edited ripped sprites and sound effects.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 02:32:17 pm »

Oh, one other thing I might need help for.  All the sounds are going to be 8-bit, and I can probably handle that.  I'll work on making some music and sounds on my own, but if my creations are horrible, I may reach out to the community for aid.
Shoes...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »

Aqizzar. You do know all sonic fangames are cursed to be bad right?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11