Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Choosing between historical engravings and creative engravings  (Read 3294 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing between historical engravings and creative engravings
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:16 pm »

Yeah, I do see engravers as something more along the lines of Propoganda artists than just plain artists.

They engrave The Long March (The dwarves are travelling) (I should say this is a reference to China, in case this reference goes over any heads).  They engrave Glorious Founding Revolution (Election of first mayor/founding).  They engrave Mighty Symbol of Dwarven Might (your local or national government's symbols). They engrave Great Dwarven Victories (your dwarves striking crap down).  They engrave Humiliation, and Reason For Bloody Revenge (your dwarves being struck down)! They engrave the sophisticated and subtle nature of the world around us through the use of abstract shapes or images (that other crap).

These teach the dwarves who see it the reasons to be proud of their dwarven heritage, and to distrust those strangers, who may want to strike at the noble and superior dwarven culture out of jealousy from their inferior lifestyles.

Onward! For the glory of our Dear Leader, comrades!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 04:29:48 pm »

I could see dwarves adamantly refusing to engrave something they loathe, like a hated rival's successes or vermin they hate. The player would be given a prompt as to whether he wants to make his law enforcement try and force him into it. Dwarf personality and the sentence he's threatened with would play a part in whether he begrudgingly does the work or flips the guards the bird and goes to prison for his violation of production order.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 04:37:36 pm »

I could see dwarves adamantly refusing to engrave something they loathe, like a hated rival's successes or vermin they hate. The player would be given a prompt as to whether he wants to make his law enforcement try and force him into it. Dwarf personality and the sentence he's threatened with would play a part in whether he begrudgingly does the work or flips the guards the bird and goes to prison for his violation of production order.

Dwarves actually do not engrave vermin unless it is something that they like or hate, or if the subject dwarf (usually the mayor) likes or hates it.

Yes, this means that there is a decent chance that they will hate cockroaches so much that they will start engraving them everywhere, then get disgusted by their own work.

In other words, never let a dwarf with a loathed vermin engrave.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:46 pm »

I want "Disturbing" engravings- ones that are good, but upset dwarves who see them. Like the ones from the old circus. Maybe have crazy engraves start carving them everywhere.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.
Pages: 1 [2]