Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: More Madness!  (Read 16486 times)

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Madness!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 10:04:16 pm »

Upon wikiwalking to find out if I was right or wrong, I found out....

I was kinda wrong. You described the basic treatment as the phobia type, but OCD can and is treated with Exposure and Response prevention. Basically, they're exposed to the thing that bothers them, like uneven numbers of objects, and then prevented from doing whatever the compulsion is.

I claim a minor victory, but concede the war to you, Argonnek.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »

So, a lot of this I know is different than what I described, but I was going more for what's fun and easy to program than what's necessarily the most accurate. OCD in particular, I wanted one that would be drastic enough that just letting the dwarf wander your fortress would be disaster, but player-controllable things could keep them happy.
There are plenty of different disorders out there that have interesting game consequences, and it's better to either make up your own term, use a more generic term, switch to a more fitting disorder, or make the implementation fit the existing disorder to avoid looking like an idiot.

Not that anyone in the production of fictional media actually cares about scientific accuracy.  (Well, except Toady.)

...idea. Some maladies make dwarves do things that don't upset them much, but may upset other dwarves- leaving rotting food underneath their bed, which would make the clean freaks panic. Or maybe all dwarves get negative thoughts from seeing the crazies?
Sure.  Nudity would be a stereotypical choice here, and the code could also be used to check for disturbing ethics behaviors too.  A good idea.

I stand by what I came up with for schizophrenia, though you could always pack in more flavors; my uncle has a rather severe case, and I understand that one of the more common symptoms is to believe you hold some highly important position in the unvierse- prophet, secret agent, second coming, mayor, president, whatever. (My uncle in particular has believed all of those).
Those symptoms are delusions, a firm feature of schizophrenia.  And those are common delusions, yes.  But if it's just those, "delusional" would be a better term than schizophrenia - they are not equivalent to a diagnosis.

And the quote you quoted from me features a lack of a period... *weep*

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 10:59:03 pm »

There are plenty of different disorders out there that have interesting game consequences, and it's better to either make up your own term, use a more generic term, switch to a more fitting disorder, or make the implementation fit the existing disorder to avoid looking like an idiot.
In that case, care to list off some whose accurate representations would be fun and easy to program?

And the quote you quoted from me features a lack of a period... *weep*
Ah. I was wondering why you knew so much about OCD. :P
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 12:19:35 am »

In that case, care to list off some whose accurate representations would be fun and easy to program?
You have done a pretty good job, but I'll see what I can add.

Depression could be fleshed out - it should amplify negative thoughts, and does sometimes result in overeating too (so it should hardly be a death sentence.)

Narcissistic personality disorder would get more of a kick out of flattery (when it's incorporated in the game) and greatly enjoy admiring items with images of themselves, but they'd issue demands even if they weren't nobles (and issue even more demands than normal as nobles.) 

Post-traumatic stress disorder can be associated with witnessing friends/loved ones/compatriots killed from violence, especially in brutal ways.  The "does not really care about anything anymore" (IIRC) personality trait could be caused by this.  Constant wariness would provide a bonus to finding hidden enemies, but fatigue from trouble sleeping and the personality changes would cause moderate penalties to social interactions.  Though, the "thousand-yard-stare" should be able to help a bit with intimidation.

If plagues are going on (or other highly stressful situations), conversion disorder could cause dwarves to appear to have some symptoms of the plague, but a difficult diagnosis by the doctors would reveal the disorder (and cause a happiness penalty for the complaining dwarf due to not being believed.)  It could progress more actively too, like by fainting or psychosomatic blindness.

Age could induce Alzheimer's, causing severe social interaction penalties and randomly sucking experience from skills.

Though it does fall into medical as well, toxins during pregnancies (presuming they are teratogens) could screw with development of the baby.  It's kind of interesting because they tend to have predictable effects based on the time that they were administered: for the first few weeks, they tend to really screw with physical development such as limbs (see thalidomide), later on they tend to cause more general brain development problems.  At that point, they mainly cause disorders that also cause mental retardation, so appropriate penalties would be severe mental attribute limits for that dwarf.  So a model might be - during the first 1-3 months, any toxin introduced to a pregnant dwarf has a high chance of causing gross physical deformities (missing limbs or hands/feet at the end of arm stumps), and during any time in the pregnancy it would also have a chance to cause that mental retardation effect.  This could be coded as default for any toxin.

Alcohol abuse is caused by being a dwarf.  Its symptoms include social acceptance, high efficiency in work, and attending joyous drunken parties around curiously warm floodgates.  A severe phobia of fish and a distinct hatred of pointed ears are also heavily correlated with the disorder.  Letting dwarves with this disorder build walls causes secondary complications of starvation and facepalming in overseers responsible for the dwarf.  Magma is the only known cure for this common malady.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 12:46:31 am »

Meh... again, what I'm really looking for are conditions that will make a dwarf more-or-less unable to function if you just leave them to their own devices, but where you can make them semi-functional, or at least happy, by giving them special conditions. The claustrophobic dwarf could be given a bed and small food stockpile on the surface and either kept in a walled garden until he recovered, or be reassigned as a hunter/woodcutter/guard. The OCD dwarf (as I described him) could be given his own sealed-off quarters which are kept perfectly clean. The Pogonophobic could be isolated from all other dwarves, and have food dropped down a shaft to him.

Hmm... other options...

You could have dwarves start suffering panic attacks/attack at the presence of whichever dwarves they don't like, or develop an irrational fear of a certain sort of stone or food. PTSD seems like it could be worked in, esp. as the game recognizes battles... if that dwarf sees an engraving or statue of the battle, or an enemy that was present, they suffer from it.

Maybe some suffer panic by default, and need special, weird-ass conditions to keep them calm- like, one dwarf needs to have others/one specific dwarf around at all times, another needs to be around cows, yet another can do almost nothing but obsess over works of art. Ooh. A dwarf that suffers panic attack/goes steadily crazier when removed from the presence of magma. Or just fire.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 01:15:19 am »

Sorry for the double-bump, had another idea.

Semi-strange moods. If a dwarf goes crazy enough, he basically gets a strange mood- i.e., takes over a workshop or something and starts working without instruction, only no artifact is gained, and skill advancement is only normal. And what they make...

Stonecrafters will just make useless crafts, no big there. Brewers and cooks might make booze that's slightly poisonous, once we figure out how to make that happen. Masons will go one of two ways- either make utter junk, or make statues that are very well done, but highly disturbing (seeing makes dwarves a little crazier). Engravers are the worst, though; they'll just pick a section of smooth wall and start carving it with the most morbid images available, which will have the same effect as the statues- but they might do it in your dining room, if you're not careful. If you are careful, you wall them off in their own little burrow (they'll respect burrows if they can), and in the end you have a corridor that threatens the sanity of any who walk down it.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 03:50:05 am »

Here's what I came up with applying my own mental health issues to the Dwarf Fortress way of doing things

Major Depression (Recurring) - Dwarf sleeps about twice as much as normal dwarfs. Slow to start a job that's required of it, does a poor/slow job of it. Mood will rise and fall with some other attribute, be it fullness, thirst, season (seasonal affective disorder), wealth, social interactions, and so forth.

Panic Anxiety - Dwarf can experience terror for no apparent reason.  Prevents all work during those times, and without treatment becomes more likely to panic more frequently.

Paranoia - Dwarf lives as though a hostile creature is in visual range even though there may not be one. Tires quickly, loses friends.

Auditory Hallucination - Unhappy due to phantom noise pollution. May cancel job during work briefly before returning to job.

In my own life, these all intertwine to cause some really bad times. Treatment for the first two is through counseling (rational emotive behavior therapy), and the last two is via psycopharmacology.  So we need good psychiatrists and therapists in game, along with alchemy, to treat dwarfs.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:35 am »

I have one,Sociopath:they will lie to dwarfs to pretend they are nobles and other stuff,they have a grudge with every dwarf,every step they have a %10 chance of going berserk,they are very likely to enter a fell or macabre mood
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
because sociopaths lack empathy and sympathy.I also have an idea for skitzophrenia:It causes the dwarf to think that other dwarfs are planning against him/her and the dwarf may think he is somebody else in the fortress or another race,when the doctors tell him he is not etc he will get a large happiness penalty for people not believing him (some of this has probably already been said in the thread,if so I am not stealing I am just agreeing)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:39:02 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 09:37:47 am »

Dwarves could, however, suffer alcoholism. Dwarf refuses to drink water, and will die from dehydration if you don't always have alcohol on hand for him to drink. Since dwarves have a higher tolerance, this doesn't damage the liver, but the dwarf does drink twice as much alcohol (having him drink twice as often would screw with work management, which is already tricky) per sitting. That, to me, seems a very dwarfy form of alcoholism. You could also have the symptoms increase slowly, causing the dwarf to drink more and more alcohol each time, unless friends or the mayor with a good consoler skill intervene, which would reduce the amount of excess booze they drink (but not cure them, since dwarves are alcohol dependent he could never just stop drinking).

A few others:

Arborophobia: fear of plants. Dwarf will only eat meats and cheeses, and runs in panic from fields (plants in barrels cause an unhappy thought, but the dwarf doesn't panic because they're dead). If the dwarf gets unhappy enough (IE: gets unhappy enough to go insane while already suffering arborophobia), he may grab an axe and attack the nearest tree, then the next one, and so on until he dies.

Acrophobia - dwarf faints if he gets next to an "Open Space" tile. He will recover eventually, but will immediately pass out again unless another dwarf carries him down to the hospital. Will also gain an unhappy thought every time he has to use the stairs and won't take "everybody" jobs not on the same z-level he's on. He can remain functional, however, if you keep food, drink, and either a private room or dormitory on the same z-level he works on.

Ailurophobia - fear of cats. Dwarf flees from cats as though they were hostile. A very dwarfy insanity indeed.

Social Anxiety Disorder - dwarf doesn't socialize. As the insanity progresses, the dwarf gains stronger and stronger unhappy thoughts every time another dwarf tries to talk to him ("Was judged by another dwarf recently"). A good friend with a high consoler skill can reduce the disorder, but it can't be cured.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 10:28:50 am »

I want to see an arborophobic, agrophobic elf.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 10:30:37 am »

Ooh! Add that as a syndrome effect, we can make a plague that causes elves to hate trees!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 10:33:05 am »

Ooh! Add that as a syndrome effect, we can make a plague that causes elves to hate trees!
There has been a case of  someguy making  the elves dwarfly by some means.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 10:36:44 am »

There has been a case of  someguy making  the elves dwarfly by some means.

Yes, yes, you can edit the mod files, and if neccesary you can just go around and hack off their knees until they're of dwarven height, but until now you couldn't actually introduce a plague that slowly turned their entire civilization into a mimicry of dwarves.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 01:49:52 pm »

I'd think that elves hating trees would be more akin to humans than dwarves. Besides, hating trees won't make them grow beards, even if they all start chopping down the forests.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 01:52:02 pm »

I'd think that elves hating trees would be more akin to humans than dwarves. Besides, hating trees won't make them grow beards, even if they all start chopping down the forests.
A beard does not make a dwarf,a violent unstable personality does
oops I forgot dwarfs personalities are concealed in their beards
Pages: 1 [2] 3