Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tar En's Lisidadil 'ClashesWalled' - A Continual Story  (Read 8692 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Tar En's Lisidadil 'ClashesWalled' - A Continual Story
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:13:55 am »

What follows is a chronicle of the first two forts I took seriously, on the first world I took seriously. I had 2-3 practice forts before that. I'll briefly talk about the first fort, but mostly, this is about the second one. I had to dig the save off my old computer. So, this story holds a lot of nostalgia for me, considering these we're really my first major forts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Year 200. The Age of Legends. Inale Fare, Maskiramost, and Sitsumong, the three eastern nations in the land of Tar En, they have always enjoyed trade with each other. The elves of Inale Fare would gladly supply cloth and wood to the others, the Dwarfs of Maskiramost would trade away their superior dwarven steel items, and the humans of Sitsumong would trade in food. The three lived in peace, throughout the worlds early years, and that didn't change one bit when in the year of 201, the dwarfs decided it was time to expand their empire. The humans and elves agreed to support them, and would trade goods with whatever outpost they would decide to make.

The Dwarven queen, Rith Rodimrovod, feeling bold, sent seven brave travelers to the north, to start a fortress in between two goblin towers. The fort, Okuncatten, thrived for a good twelve years, before things went silent there. The trade was good. Rith was upset, but decided to set her eyes upon a new land. The new land, Lisidadil, put a gleam in Rith eyes. There were rumors of rare adamantine in that mountainous region. So she sent seven brave dwarfs to Lisidadil in the year of 214. The fort started out slow, due to the fact that the land was dead. But with stout beards, the crew of seven began to set up their new life in this dead land.

Dastot, the miner furiously beat his way into the rocks of the steep mountains, creating many rooms that they would call their home. Zefon, the cook, made many delicious meals, which would eventually supplying over a hundred dwarfs. The there was Iden the planter, and Urdim the fisherdwarf, who both became miners. Cog the woodworker and Ducim the brewer. And finally the great leader, Reg. Together, these stout dwarfs created a mighty castle.

In the year of 217, Itotem, an engraver made his way to Lisidadil, before disaster struck. Itotem was well liked by the other dwarfs, and often drew images of them on walls, to please them. But one day, screams could be heard from up on the mountain, and they were screams unlike anything he had ever heard before. Climbing up the great staircase to the summit, he gazed over at the new mining site. Large demons began pouring out of the hole in the ground, killing and unlucky dwarf in their path. Dastot, the miner was lucky enough to get a kill in with his pick, before being overwhelmed by the horde.

Itotem shouted in fear, causing the demons to come to him. Fearing for his life, he raced his stubby legs back into the fort and down the stairs. Tripping over himself, he made it to the grand dining hall. "Horror! Demons in the deep!" He shouted, but nobody paid him any mind. He ran past them, and demons poured out of the stairs, destroying everything in their path. A few brave dwarfs who were on duty fought bravely, but were eventually overwhelmed. The population of over a hundred dwarfs was decimated to about a dozen. A seige worker by the name of Tun Councilfountains organized a few ragged dwarfs in the sleeping level. He was hoping to fight back.

Meanwhile, Itotem ran to his room, laughing manically. He locked the door, and began engraving everything that had happened. He had to make sure that people knew what happened here. Tun and his brave dwarfs fought valiantly, outnumbered and under-equipped. They managed to bring down three of the beasts, before drawing their last breaths. Itotem was found by the demons, he didn't fight, he just stood laughing, the room covered in horrific engravings of what transpired.

Lisidadil had crumbled to its end.

Rith, angered by this, sent five reclamation parties, five years in a row. Her trading partners were growing tired of the lack of trade, and were considering calling off any arrangements. Rith pounded her fist on her throne and threw on some peasant clothing, determined to figure out what exactly happened at the fortress. She gathered a group ad they set out across the mountain to the fort. Lisidadil's previous reclamation did in fact succeed. The dwarfs managed to close off the demon hole, and seal themselves behind the great walls of the fortress. Months went by. Rith and her band of dwarves arrived at a trash covered mountainside, smoke and fires everywhere. Her marksman, Lor took the leader, the rest of the band following close behind.

They were ambushed, by the leader of the demons. "I am Snodub TortureCruelty. Prepare to die." Lor jumped out of the way of a flame attack and motioned to the other dwarfs. Unfortunately, Rith was struck down by Snodub. She finally got her answer as to what happened to the fortress. Lor led the others to the sealed walls and the broke through them, only to seal them up again once more. The fortress was thriving on the inside, granted it was a little barren. But Lor and his comrades were greeted with cheers and there was a great party.

Migrants and caravans come, but still the gates to Lisidadil remain closed. No one knows what happened to the great fortress, or why the kingdom of Maskiramost fell apart, but the dwarfs inside Lisidadil know, they'll always know.

Thanks for taking the time to read it if you did, I just always felt that it was an amazing story. >.< Even if my writing skills suck.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2719

There's even a download available for the current haphazard state, 31 dwarves inside, 2 outside, and some demons still crawling around the mountains. I have fun with it, hope you do too. <3
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:23:29 am by Kamudo »
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Tar En's Lisidadil 'ClashesWalled' - Story *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:20 pm »

Nobody has anything to say? D:

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:08:48 pm »

Bump it up from page three, yo. I want some sorta opinion, at least.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:20 am »

Protip: advertise it in your sig. Works magic if you post a lot.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:58:18 am »

Thanks for the Protip Bro.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 03:23:04 am »

Classy, a bit more detail and it would be gold.

Happy ?   :)
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 06:32:23 pm »

Thanks. :D

I'll try to think of ways to give the story more depth and detail.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 06:57:34 pm »

Continue with the story; right now, it could use a bit more to distinguish it.

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 02:34:40 am »

Ooh, good idea. Like.. How they do things with BlockedLance or whatever.

Sure, sounds fun. I think I could continue the story. Onward to play that game. o:

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 03:19:34 am »

Obsidian 26th - 223

My name is Nil Lamlibash. I'm a member of the Former Equivalent town, Maskiramost in our Dwarven tongue. And I am currently a member of the Friendly knife, the group controlling the fortress of Lisidadil. I may be nothing but a Ranger, but when I am to answer the call of battle, I am a Skilled Marksdwarf. Several things have happened since we arrived here and sealed ourselves in in the early fall. I'm keeping this journal, in hopes that we aren't forgotten. In the time since we arrived, over three months ago, we managed to clean up a lot of the bodies and give them a proper resting place in the tombs below the fortress. I personally believe we should expand upon the tombs, but people don't generally consult me unless it involves shooting my crossbow. Our current official is a fisherdwarf by the name of Adil.

Adil doesn't really make much in the ways of decisions though, mostly sitting around one of the dusty pools outside. So instead, Lor, the hero who brought our men in has taken up a leadership position, and seeing my intellect, he often consults me on different subjects. Still though, too much, "Aye, mate, fire yer crossbow at that thar beastie." Working together to order the others, we managed to clean up the courtyard, and furnish every bedroom to high quality. The farms are producing much plump helmets and Adil and the other two fisherdwarves manage to bring in a large amount of fish.

We often leave a dwarf up top of the fortress, up on the mountain to keep an eye out. A caravan came and went. He mentioned that they looked like dwarves from another Civilization. Surprisingly, demons left them alone. We also received several migrants, who apparently wandered from the smoldering mountainhome. It's quite amazing that we can see the fire from here, even though the mountainhome is behind a mountain range to the southeast. Unfortunately, Lor got into a strange mood, and was unable to work with me on a decision, so I made a hard decision to not risk the whole fort for a few dwarves. I killed a demon, who threw a Dwarf and a cat into the fort from the mountain above. The cat limps around with a broken leg, but the lad died instantly.

Lor came up to me excited the following week. "Nil! Look what I made?!" He held out a trumpet.. Made out of Mica. "I'm going to name it 'Embracemind the Crazy Lengths'." He pet the trumpet and I congratulated him on his creation. He now seems to have a legendary prowess over Stonecrafting, even though I worry about his mental state. I picked three different men, had them scrape the rust off some old steel equipment and put them to training. I know that three men isn't much of a difference, but it may be a good idea to have them around regardless. As long as they don't kill themselves.

Just last week, Ablel, a Glassmaker ran through the fortresses main halls like a madman. "I MUST HAVE GLASS!!!!" He screamed and went and sat in the glassmaker's workshop, muttering to himself. Lor laughed pitiably at the man and closed the door, locking it.

"We don't have glass, Nil. Nor can we find it anywhere. I don't need a crazy man threatening what remains of Maskiramost. The queen would've wanted us to continue on." I nodded slowly at him.

Getting together in an office, myself, Lor, and Uvash; our clerk, decided our next course of action.

I personally think defense is our best goal. Uvash agrees, and mentions the forts only blacksmith, Oddom. He then goes onto explain that there are several chunks of Adamantine in our stockpiles. Lor however believes we should work on enhancing the whole fort, rebuilding the dining hall, engraving rooms and start cooking up good meals. Uvash and I gave each other strange looks and shrugged, not sure what to decide on.

-----------------

Well, sorry for the length, just filler for what happened.

So, what should the Dwarves next move be? Defense, attack, improvements?

As a side note, I'm playing as Nil Lamlibash, because I actually feel I can develop a better story with him. I don't know why, I just always remember liking him the most when playing the fort. >.>

Edit: Also, I'll try to include screenshots with the future updates.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Tar En's Lisidadil 'ClashesWalled' - A Continual Story
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 04:40:38 pm »

Obsidian 27 - 223

Our meeting the previous day didn't go all that well. Lor didn't agree and said we could do whatever we wanted with the old smithing wing of the fort. He then stormed off muttering to himself about having to do everything around here on his own. Uvash and I set about Oddom to start gathering wood to convert to charcoal for our Adamantine equipment. This morning, Lor was parading around the fort, completely ecstatic. "I had a baby!"

"....What?" Lor was a woman this whole time? But the beard, and all that hair.. Uh.. I don't know what to say about this. But I'm going to start patrolling the fort and gathering up any objects of interest.

----
Lol, I just felt like making some of my personal stupidity of the characters decided to make Nil feel the same... Or something. <.<

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:05:43 pm »

Granite 1 - 224

We've begun work on cutting down the rest of the trees in the courtyard... It sucks that dead tress don't grow. Stupid dead biome...

Fikod the miner, Lor, and a few others have begun expanding the tombs, per request. Fikod has been with the fort since we reclaimed, he's a good man, and I trust him.

I've personally begun undertaking the burning of wood for the smelter and the forge, since everybody else was too preoccupied with everything else.

We also have decided to make a larger refuse pile, since our fishery and kitchen are filled with nasty miasma.

Atis seems to be suffering from cave adaptation, considering he just blew chunks all over the outside.

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:07:08 pm »

Thanks for the Protip Bro.

Yes, the only reason I found this was because you advertised it. Also, nice story.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 01:48:27 am »

Ooh, I see.

Thank you. :3

I know my story isn't amazing or flashy, but it means a lot to me. So I'm going to continue writing it.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:35:54 am »

Hey,  It's been awhile since your last update. It's an awesome story. Keep it up, don't let it die!
Pages: [1] 2