Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves must be governed!  (Read 5354 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Dwarves must be governed!
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:44:50 am »

Okay, so, my population is sitting at 145. Only I just got... Christ, another migrant wave, so it's going up... more..... (I must say, this version IS much faster than 40d)....

Anyways, imported and exported wealth, over 100000, created wealth over 1000000. I have a bunch of roads, I have done lots of jobs. HOW do i get a Baron and the economy? It would have happened around 80 back in 40d, and the wiki is unhelpful. So......... help?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves must be governed!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:23:23 am »

Anyone?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

pazuzu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:34:54 am »

I haven't managed it in these new versions either.

population >100, done plenty of varied jobs, have golden roads here and there, but still no baron or economy. Economy is not turned off, and no mods 31.10.

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:42:38 am »

Maybe donating to the dwarven caravans will help.  :-\

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:43 am »

In 40d, you needed to assign a certain number of jobs (food related, crafting related, and so on) through the job manager. The jobs wouldn't be counted if they were assigned directly at the workshops. Don't know about the current version, but maybe it's got something to do with that.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:07:34 am »

I'm in exactly the same boat you are, friend. My current fortress has exactly 145, it's 10 years old (it should have more, but there was quite some turmoil early on), and hasn't yet received the coveted, "Things look good here," speech from the liaison. My best guess as to why this is is because one year he left unhappy because the mayor at the time was... a wee bit insane. I assume that buys me more time to build things up before I'm considered for a barony.

Another thought may be that my exported wealth pales to my imported wealth, a thing I intend to fix with plenty of encrusted goodies. I'm extremely cautious about all this because I abandoned my last fortress because the liaison died upon his first visit and the Mountainhomes speculated that my dwarves killed him! Needless to say, there was no replacement after waiting nigh twenty years and I didn't see the point of going on (I dare say I... like nobles).

I agree with Yocas, though, plenty of offerings definitely helps, as well as being generous with the caravan traders.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:09:28 am »

Okay, so, my population is sitting at 145. Only I just got... Christ, another migrant wave, so it's going up... more..... (I must say, this version IS much faster than 40d)....

Anyways, imported and exported wealth, over 100000, created wealth over 1000000. I have a bunch of roads, I have done lots of jobs. HOW do i get a Baron and the economy? It would have happened around 80 back in 40d, and the wiki is unhelpful. So......... help?
I've never gotten the economy in DF2010.

By now you should have gotten the Baron, tho.

He's much different now then in 40d. He doesn't come to you, one of your existing dwarves is made a Baron by the King. You get a special diplomat who asks you for a reccomendation, and a few months later you get a message saying it's done.

Nick

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 11:17:38 am »

See this thread for more discussion on how to get a Baron:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61583.0

It's still somewhat of a mystery just what triggers the Baron.  You need to have a viable dwarven civilization.  You need to have an outpost liason who meets with your mayor successfully and survives to make it off the map.  You don't need to have the economy turned on.  You're supposed to need roads, but I have a baron in my fortress without having a single road.  I do have lots of bridges however, so perhaps they count as roads.  You don't need to make offerings (haven't made any in my fortress), but a positive trade balance with the dwarves may help.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 11:52:32 am »

hmm, i got a baron with relative ease, and a king too! in 31.08

i sat my mayor down to talk with the dwarven outpost liason, after the usually trade agreements, he asked me if im ready to get a baron, i was like "hell yeah!" i was looking through and found a peasant with some social skills, turned out it was a 12 year old -sigh-

i didnt have much in the way of created wealth or exported wealth, but i did offer about 2k stuff to the caravan each year
it also seems roads, wealth, and offerings only matter with the king, for one day when i opened up the nobles list i saw "requirements to become capital"

in it it require 10k dwarfbux in architecture, 7500 dwarfbux in raods, and 7500 dwarfbux offerings
once i completed those 3 requirements i got a king, queen consort, and a small band of highly skilled warriors, along with the run-of-the-mill migrants in the migrant wave

although as for the baron, no clue
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 12:50:11 pm »

I don't have trouble getting the Baron.  I don't remember when I get them exactly, but in my current fort it's year 4 and I've had one for awhile.

I always have a bridge for the moat, do lots of trade in stonecrafts, and do quite a bit of engraving.

Nick

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 05:01:34 pm »

I think they are a bit buggy right now.  I'm guessing no one has ever seen a dungeon master in 2010?  Since all the exotic animals now can be trained without him, I'm guessing it's just a bug that will eventually get fixed.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 08:38:05 am »

Was just asked whether I want to appoint a baron. 135 Dwarfs, in winter 1057, no roads (but many floors and some bridges), 260xxx import, 50xxx export, had a mixture of jobs running through manager screen and by myself.