Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Evil Genius  (Read 33986 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 10:25:38 pm »

See, i've never had you guys problems. I've never built an inaccessible part of a base. Super agents also tend to be easy for me. Get a henchman in the armoury with a buncha pissed off military minions (Multiple time clocks can help with this) and go destroy them in a GIANT WAVE OF FIREY DOOM.

Although Jet Chan and Katrina Petranova were a bitch.

I also loved the way you got rid of each secret agent (It is possible guys). Especially John Steele. You...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any super agent giving you trouble is just a bi-product of poor base planning. Alot of the time my minions never encounted the super agents before they left!

My henchmen have also never lost a life.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:30 am »

A good base layout (use common sense!) is the key to success. Have a double corridor in the entrance hall, only allow special access on these doors and don't hesitate to lock them down completely.

When an enemy raiding party is knocking on your door, lock it down, go status red to hand out a gun to everyone .. and when you're ready, you open the door. A beautiful firefight erupts.

Always make your rooms larger than you intend. You are going to expand, and nothing sucks more than realizing your room is actually too small, and you've built other things around it.. you're then forced to search a different part in the mountain for space.

A "fake" entrance helps keeping curious agents busy. Just build an entrance on the other side of the mountain, restrict access, and connect it to a few corridors with all kinds of silly traps. Make sure they don't get out alive. And if you really care, build a freezer room next to it to stack those bodies up.. but seeing as no one will ever leave, it's not necessary.

It's not a frustrating game at all, and it's quite easy when you know a few "tricks"... if it wasn't for that horrible domination screen, I'd play it again.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 03:10:03 am »

But if you seal off your base how are you suppose to steal money and build things when you can't reach the helipad/dock?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 04:25:34 am »

"I also loved the way you got rid of each secret agent (It is possible guys). "

Quite a few of them are very disapointing in how easy it is to take care of them (in fact all but one are)... Appart from assault squads and the lucky demo man... nothing really threatened you... and assault squads only came if you generated a ton of heat.

I mean... imagine playing a strategy game where you can research "Enemy heros are dead"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 04:48:20 am »

But if you seal off your base how are you suppose to steal money and build things when you can't reach the helipad/dock?
Agents will enter any building they find on the isle to check them out and see whats inside...
I liked making those little huts and having it so as they enter the building they step on a pressureplate that pops up the pop up minion, sometimes if you are lucy the doors to the hut closes and after the agent recovers they think to themselves. "Did I check in that place.... Ah better be safe then sorry... OH SHIT WHATS THAT!!"
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 06:48:09 am »

I love this game. I should post a layout of my base design.. didn't find it in any walkthroughs, but it worked very well in an evil genius way.

IMO, the best choice to beating agents in this game is non-violence. Violence becomes increasingly useless at higher difficulty levels and late in the game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 08:26:18 am »

I know there's a site somewhere that allows you to design and post you bases online, but only for the second island. something.Evilbastard.something.something etc...  I remember that evil bastard was part of the name, though. Nifty site.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 11:25:07 am »

I wish there were more of the base building games.... :P

(offtopic my clone in space http://img44.imageshack.us/g/screenshot14d.png/, in development limbo since a couple of months ago )

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 11:30:20 am »

Lol, checked out that evilbastard thing. Looks like I wasn't the only person who thought of a labyrinth-style layout.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 11:45:31 am »

I loved this game! I really don't see why there was never a 2nd unless Rebellion Developments did not make enough with their republish of Evil Genius.

I agree that we need more base buidling games, especially ones with complex trap systems
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »

I have had this game for a long time.

Pretty fun, I love the traps + tag system.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 05:13:27 pm »

I loved this game! I really don't see why there was never a 2nd unless Rebellion Developments did not make enough with their republish of Evil Genius.

I agree that we need more base buidling games, especially ones with complex trap systems

They didn't make a second because the studio went under.

Also, base planner is here: http://www.evilbastard.org/slight/egplanner.php

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 05:17:27 pm »

I love my square corridor of wind traps. Can keep people endlessly detained just by sending them zooming around the square until they finally run out of stats or my henchmen can get to them.

It's well worth the price of the minions that get caught in it also.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 06:44:32 pm »

Plus it makes you money because you're chaining traps.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 09:04:36 pm »

They didn't make a second because the studio went under.

No, Rebellion Developments bought Evil Genius and the company that made it, and rereleased it on Steam, they also made Aliens vs Pred 2010, so no they are still around
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16