Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Evil Genius  (Read 34241 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 09:13:23 pm »

I love my square corridor of wind traps. Can keep people endlessly detained just by sending them zooming around the square until they finally run out of stats or my henchmen can get to them.

It's well worth the price of the minions that get caught in it also.

I've avoided those wind trap corridors because it seems to make the game a bit easy, especially with the money combo. IMO, like corridors in DF that flood magma. But I'll probably try to play the game on hard and see how it works out.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »

I loved this game! I really don't see why there was never a 2nd unless Rebellion Developments did not make enough with their republish of Evil Genius.

I agree that we need more base buidling games, especially ones with complex trap systems

They didn't make a second because the studio went under.

No, Rebellion Developments bought Evil Genius and the company that made it, and rereleased it on Steam, they also made Aliens vs Pred 2010, so no they are still around

... They went from Evil Genius to Alien Vs Pred?

...I'm going to erase that thought from my mind and blissfully live in the knowledge that they went under.

Such a shame that they did. :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:32 pm »

yeah totally, aliens vs predator was a pile of shit imo  :-\
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »

It was passable. I didn't like the melee combat mechanic; the hell does a marine block a Xenomorph tailstrike with his pistol?

Still loads better than Predator: Concrete Jungle, though.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:29 pm »

One of my favourite games. It started to have a budding mod community too, but unfortunately the mod support was lackluster and it never really took off until well after the company's demise.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »

It was passable. I didn't like the melee combat mechanic; the hell does a marine block a Xenomorph tailstrike with his pistol?

Still loads better than Predator: Concrete Jungle, though.

Don't you get it? Each marine was trained to be a NINJA!

I did like the games online. All those pesky aliens could never beat my marine in close combat. I knew how to exploit them too well.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:23 pm »

I loved this game! I really don't see why there was never a 2nd unless Rebellion Developments did not make enough with their republish of Evil Genius.

I agree that we need more base buidling games, especially ones with complex trap systems

No, Rebellion Developments bought Evil Genius and the company that made it, and rereleased it on Steam, they also made Aliens vs Pred 2010, so no they are still around

True, Rebellion bought them... but that was after they went under. Evil Genius was developed by Elixir Studios (published by Sierra), who went bankrupt shortly after releasing EG. All of Elixir's assets, including Evil Genius (and a few other titles, IIRC) were bought by Rebellion.

The only relation Rebellion has whatsoever with Evil Genius, is that they bought the intellectual rights after Elixir went under, and rereleased it as-is on Steam, GoG, etc. They were, in no way, shape, or form, related to the actual development of EG.

/end_rant

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 11:38:08 pm »

True, Rebellion bought them... but that was after they went under. Evil Genius was developed by Elixir Studios (published by Sierra), who went bankrupt shortly after releasing EG. All of Elixir's assets, including Evil Genius (and a few other titles, IIRC) were bought by Rebellion.

The only relation Rebellion has whatsoever with Evil Genius, is that they bought the intellectual rights after Elixir went under, and rereleased it as-is on Steam, GoG, etc. They were, in no way, shape, or form, related to the actual development of EG.

/end_rant

Oh, well thanks for clearing that up.

I'm actually crying with joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:03 am »

It is rare that a company goes out of buisness and another company doesn't take their intellectual property unless it was considered of little value.

Given that Evil Genius was actually pretty good...

Though as Evil Genius and Ghost Master shown me... NEVER rely on patches to "fix" or "complete" a game. As neither of them were patched up. (even the latest Evil Genius Patch doesn't fix a lot of the pressing issues, and the popular one is also a cheating hack)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2010, 02:45:25 am »

A few questions here.

1. Is there a way to move all your henchmen at once?

2. How do you move super agents off land? That Asian guy has been standing on this 1 area for half an hour now...I can't do anything because he wipes out 30 guys at once.

3. What are everyone's unit ratios? Would it be wise to get rid off most technicians since you only need them to repair and scientists can train people into techs?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 02:51:51 am »

A few questions here.

2. How do you move super agents off land? That Asian guy has been standing on this 1 area for half an hour now...I can't do anything because he wipes out 30 guys at once.

3. What are everyone's unit ratios? Would it be wise to get rid off most technicians since you only need them to repair and scientists can train people into techs?

1) No

2) Super Agents stay the longest... however generally speaking you can get rid of them if you mass social attacks because unlike actual attacks social attacks interupt their attacks. After they are socially dazed you CAN capture them but if you do you must IMMEDIATELY do something with them as cells are terrible against super agents.

3) generally speaking you don't need much of anyone but the people I usually have the most of are Social minions because I can just mass capture enemies and then brainwash them. however after that are forces.

Tip: Find out what Torchure devices erase memory. Those are the ones you use to lower your heat!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 05:03:32 am »

A few questions here.

Actually yes. Pause the game then move them.

Ugh, Jet Chan. That guy is an asshole. I suggest you get lots of ranged minions and red ivan.

Another way is to swarm him with social minions (A good security system can help with this. Once they start weakening him, get a henchman, again a ranged one is preferable due to the likelyhood of him being able you quickly pop off a punch in between shoe shinings, and tell the henchmen to kill him. Should take up his time a bit. It might be wise to ignore missions in A.N.V.I.L territory until he is gone for good.

I generally have more higher tier minions than lower tier. If I need to move them down I just kill them off and train up a couple of plebs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:13:34 am by dogstile »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 07:52:57 am »

Kill them off with your Genius in the control room, good boost for the workers there if you set the clock to long shifts...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:45 am »

Another trick for SA's: The henchman with "smooth operator" does a psyche hit. However, the SA will wait and stand still for the henchman to come. If the henchman is a long way away, the SA will just stand there and wait. Letting the henchman run back to the other side of the island, use ability, run back, use ability severely cripples the SA, as he's standing still, even while being attacked.

Yes, awesome game, but I never could destroy the last agent  :(

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 09:00:20 am »

Another trick for SA's: The henchman with "smooth operator" does a psyche hit. However, the SA will wait and stand still for the henchman to come. If the henchman is a long way away, the SA will just stand there and wait. Letting the henchman run back to the other side of the island, use ability, run back, use ability severely cripples the SA, as he's standing still, even while being attacked.

Yes, awesome game, but I never could destroy the last agent  :(

Because you can't do it till the game end :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16