Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Evil Genius  (Read 34410 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2010, 10:36:29 am »

Lol, Red Ivan is Fun. And I mean that in both ways. I get him every time, even though it's a tactically bad idea. Most of the attack skills in Evil Genius are bad, especially on higher difficulty levels. But Ivan's the best at dishing out damage from a safe distance.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2010, 03:52:12 pm »

Lol, Red Ivan is Fun. And I mean that in both ways. I get him every time, even though it's a tactically bad idea. Most of the attack skills in Evil Genius are bad, especially on higher difficulty levels. But Ivan's the best at dishing out damage from a safe distance.

And how! Sure, let him loose inside your generator room and you'll have a few regrets about the battle (or, more precisely, one big regret!), but outside there's nothing but obnoxious agents for Ivan to explode.

Don't forget how powerful explosives are. Your enemies are stunned (thrown up into the air, after which they have to pick themselves up), usually set on fire (works almost as well against agents as it does against dwarves!), and of course damaged. Back him up with 10 Mercs with heavy rifles, and you can dispatch even Soldier groups with ease.

(Again, I claim no responsibility for severe internal damage caused by explosions in your own base. And watch it if your minions don't have guns equipped (although, if you're worried about collateral damage, you're playing the wrong game!))

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2010, 04:10:08 pm »

Is there any downside to always having your base on yellow alert?

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2010, 04:12:05 pm »

That annoying siren.

But otherwise, none that I can see.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2010, 04:18:59 pm »

That annoying siren.

enemies shoot faster at armed minions.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2010, 04:25:59 pm »

Agents take pictures of your guards, instantly getting heat. It's not too bad, though, if you occasionally do some social minioning and have a few traps. Those beehives work wonders.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »

That annoying siren.

Does this apply to marksmen? I never really used them so i didn't find out, and they always carry a rifle.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2010, 04:40:18 pm »

That annoying siren.

Does this apply to marksmen? I never really used them so i didn't find out, and they always carry a rifle.

I've never had any problem with marksmen getting heat by being spotted with their rifles.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »

IIRC, agents will open fire immediately on any armed personnel. Which equals heat, eventually, if they get off the island.

Re: Hotel. It's an expensive way to keep 1/3rd of tourists out of the base. The problem is this: wherever your base entrance is, it's probably there to make your life easier and to get your minions and money inside sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, that applies to tourists too. If there is a direct line from the docks to your real base entrance, chances are many tourists will choose the base as the first place to visit when they arrive.

Here's how you do it then. Build LOTS of hotels. Lots and lots and lots. Like 5, at least. Don't pimp them out. Just build them, stick one dance floor or some benches in there, and build another. Scatter them around the island, but make sure to put one at each dock first.

Reason is this. Tourists will only spend a set amount of time in a single hotel. Then they will go out and explore. However if there are multiple hotels, tourists will spend time in more than one (if they walk by it), until they use up their vacation and head home.

So multiple hotels + multiple out buildings + dummy base entrances = almost no one getting into your base except by sheer luck, following your minions or choosing the base entrance as the first thing to explore when arriving at the island.

And do NOT place equipment in them that requires social minions, otherwise you will have tons of social minions roaming the island, getting Maria Mamba'd, or Jet Chan'd, or Katrina Frostnova'd. Build time clocks in them and set them to OFF so no one tries to work there.

I also like to put multiple bee traps in dummy rooms and such. When a swarm breaks loose from the room and starts attacking people outside...I've had huge swarms drive off assault groups before. The unfortunate part is how much micro it takes to keep that stuff working; it gets destroyed on a regular basis and has to be rebuilt. Misdirection traps are solid gold too, as stupid agents tend to give up sooner and/or forget the things they've seen, INCLUDING the traps they just set off. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:53:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2010, 05:04:31 pm »

That annoying siren.

The siren can be disabled. Click on the "Yellow alert" button a second time, and the siren goes away. (Same for red alert.)

Trust me, this is a sanity-saver.  ;D

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2010, 05:05:12 pm »

With the bee traps, if you make a room in the back of your base containing a freak9(s) and link the pressure plates to some ransom bee traps outside, those bee traps will never actually get damaged, but will go off every now and then.

Good times for all.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2010, 11:54:49 pm »

How do you control where your freaks go?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2010, 12:03:10 am »

heh, thats actually the hard part, you can either use the magician henchman. Or you can plan out a room in advance, and lock the freaks in there as they walk through from the lab to the base, and have a path around it for minions.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2010, 12:20:28 am »

Trick number one to guiding Freaks: You don't.

Trick number two to guiding Freaks: Lots and lots of doors, plus micromanagement. Build lots of doors, chained between your lab and your destination. When the Freak wanders into the next room in series, lock the door behind him. (Obviously, have a locked door on any passages you don't want him walking down.) Having your trigger room close to the lab obviously minimizes the amount of work this requires... but it's a one-time investment, in exchange for a lifetime of trap execution. It's a fair trade-off.  ;)

Semi-related query: has anyone tried making an agent trap with an imprisoned Freak? We've talked about sealing off parts of your base, and how agents will handily tunnel inside those sections. What if you sealed off an empty corridor with a Freak inside? Would agents instinctively tunnel in and be brutally pummeled? Or would the Freak react... badly... to being imprisoned and die off? I've never heard of anyone trying this, so either it's a new and novel invention in an 8-year-old game (*cough* suuuuure *cough*), or it won't work... but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2010, 01:37:37 am »

When my minions get trapped in rooms, they panic'd and were basically useless. Not sure how that applies to Freaks since I never bothered.

Get Red Ivan, then walk him into a closet. Set the closet to level 3 security. When somebody breaks it down, they get a face full of rocket launcher.

The main reason I didn't ever risk my henchman on the super agents was that I just simply didn't want to risk them losing lives. Sure, I was being cowardly, but they're so damn cool, you know?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16