Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What exactly are slopes?  (Read 2481 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: What exactly are slopes?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:16 am »

Multi-tile entities will always be something this game struggles with.
When Toady gets around to implementing them properly, it should work better. For now they work well enough that the game is playable.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 12:38:44 pm »

On the flipside, it'd make creating a good road into your fortress much more important.

Come to think of it, with how much I abstract real-world necessities that aren't required in DF, I should be doing this already...  Anyone else replace the top soil layers with stone walls to make a foundation for your fortress? >_>
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »

On the flipside, it'd make creating a good road into your fortress much more important.

Come to think of it, with how much I abstract real-world necessities that aren't required in DF, I should be doing this already...  Anyone else replace the top soil layers with stone walls to make a foundation for your fortress? >_>
I do. I actually sink stone pillars down to bedrock for mine.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 10:31:48 pm »

Someday things like these will be required. Along with columns and such to keep your ceilings from collapsing over your dwarves' heads. For now it's purely aesthetics. That will be fun trying to figure out the new physics when they come along. Going to be a long time though.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 12:38:22 pm »

Someday things like these will be required. Along with columns and such to keep your ceilings from collapsing over your dwarves' heads. For now it's purely aesthetics. That will be fun trying to figure out the new physics when they come along. Going to be a long time though.

I actually put this in a suggestion, recently... http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61215.0
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 01:38:48 pm »

I just do it for aesthetics yes, and I like to leave a 1-tile gap around each piller. I toss in the bones of those who attack the fortress to pile up around its feet.
Pages: 1 [2]