Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress on Ubuntu problem  (Read 1868 times)

Riklurt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress on Ubuntu problem
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:51:35 am »

Not sure where to post this, as it isn't a bug, but just a technical problem. Any clever Ubuntu users around who can help me figure out how to get the game working again?

I was trying to install the 31.10 version on my Ubuntu computer, and something very strange happened. I first installed the whole thing using the Mike Mayday tileset, and everything worked fine until somewhere in world gen (right after placing creatures I think, but I'm not sure), whereupon the game crashed. I figured something was wrong with the graphics tileset, so I took everything away and started afresh. I downloaded the Linux version, used tar -jxvf to extract it, and tried to run it... and now it plain doesn't work.

The error I get is "error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I can't figure out what it is I'm missing - it was evidently there before, but now it isn't? Any help would be appreciated. It seems there is something I did before that I forgot to do now, but I don't know what that would be.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress on Ubuntu problem
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 06:53:00 am »

A quick search yields this. ;-)
Just download libSDL from your package manager. If there's package that has everything, its apt. Use Aptitude or just "apt-cache search SDL".

Edit: here we go, try "sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:01:43 am by ILikePie »

athros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress on Ubuntu problem
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:21:27 pm »

Check to be sure you aren't on a 64 bit OS. If you are, you'll need the 32 bit version of the SDL libraries, which you can get through getlibs - the command is     getlibs -l libSDL-1.2.so.0