Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Real life CATSPLOSION  (Read 2391 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Real life CATSPLOSION
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »

Like in DF, cat-lady cats tend to be heavily inbred (most crazy cat-ladies start out with a "healthy" number of cats, after all). Unlike DF, this can have some pretty severe consequences, physical and psychological alike. Even aside from the genetic stuff, cats in these situations tend to be in pretty bad shape - these are not 200 cats living in a pack, these are 200 rivals competing for room, food, "hunting grounds" and all the other stuff cats care about. Scratch and bite wounds galore, and add to that that they're living in their own filth, most likely without enough food to keep them healthy in the first place.

If released into the real wild, many would wither away from starvation over the next few weeks. Most of those who actually hunt well enough to survive (cats who has grown up among humans are often dependant on them to give them food) will probably pass away when the Swedish winter comes around. Receiving a quick death sound much better than slowly
If released anywhere near where people live, these communities would probably see a drastic increase in sickly stray cats begging for food.

Oh, and yes, Sweden does have a kitteh-police task force. They're called länsveterinärer, and is one of Swedens oldest state-authorities still existing. My dad is one of them.
Love, scriver~

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 04:05:30 pm »

Because that worked so well with the convicts.

You're not wrong there.

Should just send all the excess cats to Australia. They have a shortage right?

We do not. But if they're sick enough that they had to be put down then they wouldn't survive the journey without medical care. One reason they were put down because they couldn't give them medical care. So yeah.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 04:28:24 pm »

You're not wrong there.

No offense to you Ausies, I just don't want us dumping cats there and coming back to find they've civilized the lands.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 04:30:26 pm »

You're not wrong there.
No offense to you Ausies, I just don't want us dumping cats there and coming back to find they've civilized the lands.
Or even worse, come back and find them wrestling with crocs.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 05:04:04 pm »

They killed the cats?  But, but, all that precious tallow and leather... all those useful balista targets and anti-sneaking goblin kittens!  What a waste I say.

I wanted kitty biscuits.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »

They killed the cats?  But, but, all that precious tallow and leather... all those useful balista targets and anti-sneaking goblin kittens!  What a waste I say.

I wanted kitty biscuits.
Firstly, starving cats don't have fat, so you really can't make tallow. Secondly, they were likely pretty nasty looking, and so the leather would be of too low quality to even bother. Although they may have tried to eat a goblin invader if given the option...

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 09:11:38 pm »

The other option is to turn the things loose, and feral cats and dogs are a bad idea (in populous areas).
Run my pretties! Be free!

In all seriousness though, that is a horrible idea. One, because many will die a slow and painful death that way. Those who don't die, will reproduce, further exacerbating the problem. Hell, that's HOW the problem started.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:23:00 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »

I wanted kitty biscuits.

Just so you know, cat is disgusting. Some people say it tastes like chicken. I say it tastes like month old bologna, without any spices.

...what?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 01:49:49 am »

I didn't say anything.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 05:00:56 am »

The other option is to turn the things loose, and feral cats and dogs are a bad idea (in populous areas).
Run my pretties! Be free!

In all seriousness though, that is a horrible idea. One, because many will die a slow and painful death that way. Those who don't die, will reproduce, further exacerbating the problem. Hell, that's HOW the problem started.
I was joking.
Pages: 1 [2]