Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarves in a New World - Legend of Zelda 0.75 - A Wizzrobe did it  (Read 36189 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Dwarves in a New World - Legend of Zelda v0.75

Spoiler: Download links (click to show/hide)

Dwarves in a New World - Legend of Zelda v0.75 for 0.31.25 is a mod based on Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series, and features creatures and civilizations from several of the games, with a current emphasis on the older games. This mod is meant as a replacement to the vanilla raws, not an addition, and as such, makes several changes to vanilla raws, among them the removal of several vanilla creatures, especially underground.

It's advisable to create a copy of your Dwarf Fortress folder, and install the mod in the copy. To install, extract the mod into the raw/objects folder, overwriting existing files. While not necessary, you can delete the language_HUMAN.txt and language_ELF.txt files.

Much credit goes to Zelda Wiki.org.

This mod currently contains the following:

Civilizations:
 Dwarves: They remain relatively unchanged. They don't even use the gem currency of the other civilizations!

Hyruleans: Humans and hylians, speaking a faux-hylian language, living under a monarch. Their towns have mayors, and they use prase, amethysts, and rubies for currency. Of the new items, they use hookshots and ocarinas.

Gerudos: A tribe dwelling in the deserts, kidnapping other creatures. Oddly, they consist mostly of females. They occassionally use knuckle plate.

Gorons: Living in their mountain halls, gorons are large creatures with a rocky hide. As rather powerful individuals, they aren't available as adventurers. Of the new items, they use megaton hammers and balls-and-chains. They can be played in fortress mode, where they can cook rock to be edible.

Keafos/Keaton: Fox-headed humanoid creatures that are able thieves, though they are weak. They live in caves.

Kokiri: Small spirits of the woods, they are kind of like less-radical elves. Living in forest retreats under a leader, and worshiping a regional force, they nonetheless follow hyrulean currency conventions. Of the new items, they use slingshots and ocarinas.

Moblins: Along with bulblins, bokoblins, and great moblins, these evil, thieving creatures speak the goblin language. They wield tridents and balls-and-chains in addition to heavy weaponry, and use knuckle plate. They use a dark iron for some of their armor.

Ikana: The skeletal stalfos and stalkin, and well as the zombie-like redead, are the inhabitants of these undead nations, who once were much like the hyrulean nations.

Zoras: These amphibious fishmen dwell in forest retreats at the shores of seas and lakes. Their arm fins are powerful weapons, supplementing the otherwise small variety of weapons the zoras use.

Deku scrubs: These humanoid plants can spit deku nuts at their foes, which is about the only weapon they have beyond spears. They are divided into the small deku scrubs, the bigger and more savvy flying business scrubs, and the large noble scrubs.

Wizzrobes: These humanoid creatures possess access to great magic. They are almost always clad in robes and hoods or hats conceiling their faces.

Underground People: Lizalfos, dinolfos, and dairas can be found in the deep caverns, setting up small camps. Of the new items, they use balls-and-chains and knuckle plate.

(Semi)Megabeasts and Night Creatures:
 Aquamenti: Large draconic creatures with an unicorn's horn.

Dodongos: Green-scaled reptile with a strong hide.

Great Dodongos: Large firebreathing reptilian creatures walking on two legs.

Gibdos:

Gleeoks: Gigantic reptilian creatures with several heads. They are magical and can breath fire.

Gohmas: Vast arthopods with eight legs and sharp, venomous teeth. They can shoot fire from their single eye!

Great Moldorms: Huge moldorms.

Helmasaur Sovereigns: Huge helmasaurs.

Lynels: Large creatures with the lower body and head of a lion, and the torso of a human.

Mothulas: Vast insects with large orange wings.

Manhandlas: Huge man-eating plants with four maw-heads. They breathe fire!

Royal Dodongos: Vast firebreathing reptilian creatures walking on two legs.

Stalchildren: Undead skeletal bogeymen the size of a child, yet deceptively strong

Stalhounds: Undead skeletal bogeymen hounds.

Domestic creatures:
 Cuccoos
 Greathorn Goats

Other non-vermin creatures:
 Babasus: Strange shadowy creatures living underground.

Bad bats: Giant flying mammals found underground.

Bio Deku Babas: Mobile, flesh-eating plants.

Black boes: Small balls of shadow living underground.

Bubbles: Large skulls with wings, engulfed in flames. Red bubbles burn you, blue bubbles paralyze you. At night, they can come out as bogeymen.

Bullbos: Huge piglike creatures used as mounts by evil creatures. They are easily enraged and hard to control.

Chus: Slimes that leave behind a colored jelly.

Fire keese: Small mammal found underground, flying ablaze.

Gekkos: Large humanoid frogs found underground.

Gerudmen: Humanoid creatures consisting of sand. Also known as geldman.

Golden Skulltulas: Small spiders with a golden back. They leave a golden amulet behind.

Gyorg Sharks: Large oceanic fish with sharp pointed teeth and a rocky head with rhino-like horns.

Helmasaurs: Large reptiles with a steel helmet.

Kargaroks: Large bird founds in many location. They are known for their beautiful feathers and are often used by evil creatures for transportation.

Kodongos: Small creatures similar to a dodongo.

Mini-Moldorms: Small worm-like beasts living in the desert.

Moldorms: Large worm-like beasts living in the desert.

Octoroks: Small land-bound octopodes capable of shooting rocks. Hang on, apparently they're tetrapodes. They come in red and blue.

Pengators: Large flightless birds living in the arctic, with a body similar to a penguin, but feather coloration and a bill resembling an alligator.

Pols voices: Strange slimelike creatures with rabbit ears.

Red Dodongos: Red-scaled reptiles similar to dodongos, lacking most of a dodongo's strong features. They are smart and can speak, however.

River Zoras: Humanoid fishes that spits fire.

Ropes: Green-scaled snakes found nearly everywhere.

Skulltulas: Large spiders with a bony back.

Skullwalltulas: Small spiders with a bony back.

Snapdragons: Large, evil plant beasts with a body that is little more than a huge maw, and two legs on which they hops around. They are said to be the creation of a mad alchemist.

Starmen: Small starfish-like humanoids.

Stingers: Flying rays dwelling in the seas of the underground.

Tektites: Big spider-like creatures with four legs and a single eye. They are strong jumpers.

Torch slugs: Large blazing slugs living underground.

Vires: Demonic humanoids moving by flying hops.

White Wolfos: Large humanoid ice wolves.

Wolfos: Large humanoid wolves.

Zols: Big blue blobs that leave small blobs behind upon death.

Vermin:
 Crabs: Small crustaceans with powerful pincers.

Eye Keeses: Tiny eyes with bat-like wings.

Gels: Small blue blobs left behind behind upon the death of larger blobs.

Keeses: Tiny winged creatures that hunt at night and rest in caves during the day. Okay, they're just renamed bats.

Fanciful creatures:
 Keatons
 Like Likes
 Patras
 Picori
 Wallmasters

Plants
 Carrots: Edible, but not much more.
 Deku Flowers: They can be brewed into deku wine, or milled into green deku dye.
 Magic Mushrooms: Brewable into magic drink, and millable into magic powder. Found in savage forests and wetlands.
 Pumpkins: Edible, and their seeds can be made into oil.

Items
 Ball and Chain: Uses the mace skill. Heavy, and usually requires two hands to wield.
 Hookshot: Uses the whip skill.
 Megaton Hammer: Uses the hammer skill. Heavy, and usually requires two hands to wield.
 Slingshot: Uses the crossbow skill. Ammo is bullets.
 Trident: Uses the spear skill.

Ocarina: An obvious instrument to include.

Hylian Shields: Heavier than the normal shield, but a better block chance.
 Knuckle Plate: A heavy armor protecting most of the body.

Miner knuckles and woodcutter knuckles: Tools used by the gorons.

Inorganic Materials:
 Dark Iron: A somewhat better iron used by moblins usable for armor (and anvils). How else would we get darknuts (dark knuckles)?

Rainbow Stone: A valuable, but otherwise boring stone.

Aqua, Crimson, and Azure ores: Rare ores for Aquanine, Crimsonine, and Azurine, respectively. These metals are somewhat better than bronze, and might have other uses...

Creature Variations:
 Boss: Turn a creature into a semimegabeast.
 -fos: Create variable-size animal people.
 Firebeast: Create a firebreathing variant.
 Mini: Create a small variant.

Other:

Wanderer's Friend mod by Lofn (without tan-mod), slightly tweaked to allow the use of horn.

Adventurer reaction to allow searching for rope reed, and a reaction to turn it into thread.

Canes of Byrna and Somaria, and Bombos medallions as expensive adventure mode tools. Canes of Byrna can create a temporary magic shield, Canes of Somaria a temporary heavy magic boulder, and Bombos medallion can create several bombs per use. These magic items can be found in Hyrulean shops.

Urist Mcinternetuser's Stone Meat reaction, available to gorons.

Pedestals and Presenting Statues (originally by INSANEcyborg): Take an item and display it on a pedestal of blocks or a statue, respectively.

The Direforged mini-tanning mod (adding scale as tannable material, made chitin auto-tanned, and adding hardening of leather with wax).

Some engravings.

Changelog
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

0.75 - A Wizzrobe Did It
 - Added keafos/keatons as a thieving, cave-dwelling civ. Added a reaction for them to create weapon/armor-useable tin (tinsuits).
 - Added wizzrobes as an evil, snatching civ. Added a wizzrobe staff weapon for them.
 - Added a bulblin caste to the moblins, made bokoblins smaller.
 - Added tektites as mountain/lakeside beasts.
 - Added red dodongos as benign lake/river/ocean beasts.
 - Added gyorg sharks as ocean beasts.
 - Added pengators as arctic beasts.
 - Added snapdragons, bullbos, and kargaroks as evil beasts, with bullbos and kargaroks being mounts.
 - Added pumpkins as a food crop and oil/soap source.
 - Gave skeletal undead a weak spine to make killing them easier.
 - Replaced stock good and evil grasses with more generic pale/bright grass.
 - Removed a few stock plants - glumprong, goblin cap, kobold bulb.
 - Added canes of Byrna, canes of Somaria, Bombos medallions and associated adventure mode reactions.
 - Added adventure reactions to break some stuff for random items.
 - Added basic hardening of leather into boiled leather using normal leather and wax.
 - Tweaks: Increased honey production from pressing honeycombs, increased crutchwalking skillgain, reduced mining skillgain, made wood blocks be called planks, changed daira natural skills, made gorons less suspectible to slashing weapons. Other assorted raw tweaks.

Ult1mara's first look at this mod.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:58:16 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves in a New World - Legend of Zelda
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:54:24 am »

you should ask to add it to the community mods sticky

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:58:40 am »

You could mod dwarves to Gorons instead, would make sense in my opinoion. :)
(Would make more sense if Gorons were modded to eat rocks and metal.)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »

You could mod dwarves to Gorons instead, would make sense in my opinoion. :)
(Would make more sense if Gorons were modded to eat rocks and metal.)
I'd like to make gorons eat rock and metal, no question, but I need to experiment with the how. I don't want to take their farming ability away, as they should have cloth, otherwise I should be able to cook up something with custom workshops (though I might be able to do so anyway).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »

What, no zora civ?
Aside from that, this looks pretty damn cool. I didn't know you could set currency as any material other than metal, on account of the wording on the wiki entry.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:29:54 pm »

A Link to the Past was one of my first games. Though I'm not sure if I'd play DF using a Zelda mod this does look interesting so far and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

How about Minish as a vermin that leave no remains? That way you won't end up with their remains in stockpiles at least.

Subrosians might be another good fanciful creature, with them being rarely seen and from the subterranean world of Subrosia.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:43:14 pm »

Oot- the drum playing monkey thing in the graveyard(megabeast?)
wind waker- the bird civilization- those little tree people-
TP- cant think much on that either

BOOMERANGSSS

hyrulians must have hyrule shields, definately

DUAL HOOKSHOTTTTTTT

WIND WAKERRRRRR (instrument that can only be made out off precious metals)

SLINGSHOTTTTT

FISH- JABU JABU!!!

the CHUCHU BLOBS

that is all
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:28 am »

What, no zora civ?
Aside from that, this looks pretty damn cool. I didn't know you could set currency as any material other than metal, on account of the wording on the wiki entry.
The currency tag allows any inorganic material, even sand. The gem "coins" can't be crafted in fortress mode though outside of custom reactions.
There've been some problems with flying and aquatic civilizations that I don't think are all resolved, so Zoras, Ritos, and to an extend Koroks have to wait.

How about Minish as a vermin that leave no remains? That way you won't end up with their remains in stockpiles at least.

Subrosians might be another good fanciful creature, with them being rarely seen and from the subterranean world of Subrosia.
I think I'll keep them as fanciful. They fit as vermin sizewise, and as a secret civilization otherwise. I guess they really want to wait for the magic or artifact arc in some way.
I considered Subrosians as a potential cavern civilizations, but since these are currently always hostile, they're not in yet. They could become fanciful for the time being, yes (and so could a lot of stuff).

Oot- the drum playing monkey thing in the graveyard(megabeast?)
wind waker- the bird civilization- those little tree people-
TP- cant think much on that either

BOOMERANGSSS

hyrulians must have hyrule shields, definately

DUAL HOOKSHOTTTTTTT

WIND WAKERRRRRR (instrument that can only be made out off precious metals)

SLINGSHOTTTTT

FISH- JABU JABU!!!

the CHUCHU BLOBS

that is all
Bongo Bongo might be possible, I'll need to experiment there  a bit.
Boomerangs are of course the iconic weapon... only Dwarf Fortress can't really give boomerangs their most important characteristic yet, to return on a miss (not to mention the always returning of Zelda boomerangs).
I like to think of the shields already in the game as the hylian shields, but that can be arranged.
Dual hookshot I don't think can be given their due yet in the engine.
Wind wakers as precious metal only instruments would have to use custom reactions I believe, but maybe...
Jabu Jabu and Lord Jabun, perhaps a benign Greatfish megabeast...will need to test that.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 01:18:53 pm »

What, no zora civ?
The currency tag allows any inorganic material, even sand. The gem "coins" can't be crafted in fortress mode though outside of custom reactions.
There've been some problems with flying and aquatic civilizations that I don't think are all resolved, so Zoras, Ritos, and to an extend Koroks have to wait.

The Zora aren't entirely aquatic, they're amphibious. I'm not sure pathfinding would let you make a true Zora domain, but they wouldn't crash the game. Having flying completely screws over dwarf mode pathfinding, though, if I recall correctly, so the Rito are probably out. Dekus should probably be a civ race as well, since there's a Deku civilization in Majora's Mask. Of course, then you run into the flyer pathfinding issue again.

Zelda's a good source for megabeasts, since there are a lot of large, powerful creatures that get worshipped as gods. Jabu-Jabu/Lord Jabun both leap to mind, as does the dragon from Wind Waker.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »

....Having flying completely screws over dwarf mode pathfinding, though, if I recall correctly, so the Rito are probably out. Dekus should probably be a civ race as well, since there's a Deku civilization in Majora's Mask. Of course, then you run into the flyer pathfinding issue again...

According to this thread : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61671.msg1405460#msg1405460   It does work, not perfectly but well enough to use the flier tag for a player civ.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »

We MUST have deku bobas!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

Do Dodongos dislike smoke? I'm sure that can be represented by making some sort of disease which causes paralysis in Dodongos when they're exposed to it.

:p
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »

....Having flying completely screws over dwarf mode pathfinding, though, if I recall correctly, so the Rito are probably out. Dekus should probably be a civ race as well, since there's a Deku civilization in Majora's Mask. Of course, then you run into the flyer pathfinding issue again...

According to this thread : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61671.msg1405460#msg1405460   It does work, not perfectly but well enough to use the flier tag for a player civ.

In that case, Ritos, Koroks, and Deku Babas should all be entirely possible (although dealing with the weird way Deku Baba flight works would be difficult). The Dekus in particular seem like a natural fit for a trading partner race, given how many merchants they seem to have.

Additional megabeast suggestion: the Four Giants from Majora's Mask.

Fairies should probably be in as well, although it would be hard to duplicate their weird healing properties/great fairy magic stuff. At the very least, you can create Kokiri companion fairies by making them intelligent pets.

I recall that someone back in the 40d days made a graphics set that was made to look like A Link To The Past, which would go well with this. I'll go see if I can dig that up.

EDIT: Well, that was easy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:03:34 pm by GregHayes »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:05:37 am »

Deku Babas aren't quite mobile enough to be included yet. Deku Scrubs on the other hand are not only entirely possible, but also definitely on the list of future additions (they don't exactly need their flight and water hopping abilities), maybe even as a very changed fortress mode race.

The linked thread doesn't say whether flying traders work correctly now, so that'll need testing. Zoras might work well enough if they have forest retreats as sites (otherwise their buildings may crash into the water when an adventurer comes to town).

Dodongos don't dislike smoke any more than other creatures currently. I don't think smoke can be a syndrome carrier yet. Maybe I can do something with bomb flowers there.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 02:03:12 pm »

I think I'll keep them as fanciful. They fit as vermin sizewise, and as a secret civilization otherwise. I guess they really want to wait for the magic or artifact arc in some way.
I considered Subrosians as a potential cavern civilizations, but since these are currently always hostile, they're not in yet. They could become fanciful for the time being, yes (and so could a lot of stuff).

You are going to force me to make an expansion mod to your mod :P.

Subrosians are secretive, but in all my playing of Oracle of Seasons, they never seemed all that violent to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9