Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I finally got a Baron...  (Read 14634 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I finally got a Baron...
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:42:02 pm »

And I had just happened to save right before.  I decided to experiment, and  I found that if I talked to the diplomat prior to the caravan leaving, I did not get the option to choose a baron.  If I talked with him after it left, I did.  The only thing I'd done different than what I normally do is I used stonecrafts as my main export, so I'd exported a lot of items (numberwise, valuewise it's only 15k).

Baron is probably slightly bugged, but the specific before/after caravan behavior might help some people get their Barons.  Assuming that's repeatable at all in other games.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: I finally got a Baron...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:29:37 pm »

Now you get lock him in a room full of booze and set it on fire.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:40:22 pm »

Thanks for the info. What version were you using?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »

Thanks for the info. What version were you using?

Doors stop fire, right?

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:39:36 pm »

Now you get lock him in a room full of booze and set it on fire.

DO IT! NOW  >:(

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:55:36 pm »

The only thing I'd done different than what I normally do is I used stonecrafts as my main export, so I'd exported a lot of items (numberwise, valuewise it's only 15k).

That's the amount you exported right then, or your total exported wealth after this trade? 
Sounds like that trade was just what it took to bump your exported wealth to the level necessary for the baron.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 07:02:16 am »

How do you choose when to talk to the diplomat? Don't they just start a conversation with you when it suits them?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:56 am »

The only thing I'd done different than what I normally do is I used stonecrafts as my main export, so I'd exported a lot of items (numberwise, valuewise it's only 15k).

That's the amount you exported right then, or your total exported wealth after this trade? 
Sounds like that trade was just what it took to bump your exported wealth to the level necessary for the baron.

It was at 15k prior to the caravan leaving.  Or even arriving.  Usually I get some gold and trade relatively few things worth a lot, and I'd never gotten a Baron before...

Doors stop fire, right?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:39:16 am »

How do you choose when to talk to the diplomat? Don't they just start a conversation with you when it suits them?
Keep your mayor busy.  Talking with the diplomat seems to be a really low priority job, so if the mayor has nearly anything else to do he won't talk to the diplomat.  When you do decide you want him to talk, disable all other jobs he has.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:05:45 am »

Both of my diplomats bit the dust a long time ago.  Guess I'm screwed?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 10:25:29 am »

As long as you aren't using the old version, you should get a new diplomat.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:32:29 am »

As long as you aren't using the old version, you should get a new diplomat.
You should, but probably won't.  This seems to be bugged at the moment, new diplomats or liaisons often just never show up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:03 am »

Keep your mayor busy.  Talking with the diplomat seems to be a really low priority job, so if the mayor has nearly anything else to do he won't talk to the diplomat.  When you do decide you want him to talk, disable all other jobs he has.
Very low priority. Probably lowest. In fact, Trade at Depot is higher, which if you're planning on keeping your leader busy, is worth knowing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 11:35:19 am »

You can decide who becomes a baron.

Pick a dwarf who likes plump helmets and pig tail cloth. His demands will be extremely easy to meet.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 11:53:23 am »

Pick a dwarf who likes plump helmets and pig tail cloth. His demands will be extremely easy to meet.
Urist McNoble has a new demand:  Pig Tail Bed in office.
Pages: [1] 2 3