Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Steel and Flint

(1/1)

MuonDecay:
Putzing around on the forums you tend to see several situations where people are trying to ignite fires, yet cannot do so with any degree of ease because you either need fire-breathing creatures or magma to light a fire.This is kind of silly... dwarves are a supposedly civilized race and they can't start a fire?A solution would be a steel and flint... a classic, low-tech implement used to make sparks to start a fire. Ideally to make things as simple as possible it would just be something that could be set up so a mechanism could trigger it, and it would ignite any easily flammable things on the same (or adjacent?) tile, such as wood, dry grass, cloth, and the like.Useful idea, isn't it? People like to play with fire, it seems unsporting to make it so difficult to light one.

vanarbulax:
"Urist Macdwarf likes obsidian, tables, tigers and setting random crap on fire."I do agree though that there should be able to either create or embark with flint and steel, should allow us to build booze traps and will also come in handy when/if things like heating and fireplaces are needed.

Neonivek:
I have never noticed ordinary Dwarves having problems with starting fires...In fact Dwarves already have an easy enough time producing goods without the proper tools... for example:
-The Blacksmith without casts, water, or hammer
-The Jewelry Workshop without HIGH quality Cutting tools
-Furnace
-Kitchen
-Butchery
-Tanning
-Pretty much all the workshops really when you think about it...Given that the pattern is that we have a vague use for tools. I think that when fires do start being used that they shouldn't require a specific tool to start... At least in Dwarf Fortress mode.Though it isn't that they can't start fires... it is that they don't light superfluous fires... They still use fire in the game as it is.

Osmosis Jones:
quote: allow us to build booze traps I would hate to be the dwarf who built that trap. Considering how much booze my dorfs drink, he would not be popular at all.

MuonDecay:
Well merely having any means to ignite a fire in fortress mode that wasn't prohibitively difficult would be perfectly fine too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version