Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Sawbones

(1/1)

Roadkill:
I'm sure everyone has experienced the joy of losing a legendary dwarf to an injury and I'm also fairly certain someone has proabbly suggested some sort of medical noble or skill to alleviate the problem. I can see dying from a severe head injury or something internal or spinal. Fixing anything like that would be fairly complex.. but arms and legs are less serious. Amputation used to be a reasonable solution for infected limbs so.. i was wondering if that could be an option. Obviously it would impose limits on the victim, and you'd need someone to perform the operation.. potentially installing a nicely crafted wooden prosthetic? yet another thing that could be crafted in a shop. Mechanisms could be added for increased mobility and potentially artifact/prosthetics  could restore complete use of the lost limb.  but that's just running with the idea. Peg leg dwarves. Apologies if amputation is already out there somewhere as an idea

Aquillion:
Currently the real problem is not infection, disease, or anything like that (which do not exist yet), but 'phantom limb' pain.  Essentially, a severed or badly-wounded limb in Dwarf Fortress is currently always as painful as the instant in which it was first removed.  This makes healing serious injuries to the limbs difficult, and healing any injuries with a missing or badly-mangled limb nearly impossible.  (The pain keeps them from resting.)  Amputation, therefore, could only ever make things worse, not better.I have a sneaking suspicion that Toady is waiting until disease, infection, and other nastiness is in before resolving the phantom limb pain issue.  At that point, yes, amputation might be an option, although there are a number of complications (would the player have to manually order amputations?  Would dwarves just decide when it's necessary?  What if some form of magical healing is ever implemented--will the dwarves just go hacking limbs off before the player gets to decide whether to use a little of their precious Elven healing water on it or not?  And so on.)

Abyssal Squid:
And what about a mangled thorax/head?  Are we to go around amputating those, too?

Roadkill:
I was really only referring to limbs being amputated, though personally if i could have a functional headless dwarf churning out legendary goods.. even if he was a bit slow i wouldn't mind.
I guess if pain is the primary problem when it comes to limbs there would have to be something to inhibit that. Drugs spring to mind which could be extracted from some plant you could purchase or grow. But more basically people have been hiding in the bottle for years to dull various pains.. maybe alcohol could work against that sort of thing.. unless that's already in place.. as far as i know, the injured ask for barrels of water not beer.  I see the problem though.. how to differentiate an accident related severed limb from an intentional one. Possibly another colour/class of injury? purple for permanently impaired..
Perhaps it could be a task performed by the butcher, if that's not too grim :) An optional task that can be enabled so that limbs don't start piling up everytime someone gets scratched.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version