Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: *HFS Spoilers* Insurmountable obstacle?  (Read 6771 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *HFS Spoilers* Insurmountable obstacle?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 04:39:55 am »

...Excuse me, what. Those are all perfectly logical and tested methods - the cave-ins are obvious, cats will fight, and demons will be too busy slashing past them when the dorfs slash their heads off, and that huge hallway of spikes DOES work but takes an insane amount of metals and mechanisms. The said spikes are just "upright weapons" linked to a lever, because demons - as we know - have [TRAPAVOID] and only spikes would work. I don't see whatever point you have.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 04:53:05 am »

Read the topic douche. He conquered hell, and is currently farming down there. He knows a helluva lot more than you about the topic. First they zerg rush you with if I understood it right, an equivalent of 200 BCs, some of which shoot fire at you, and then they just beeline for you 1 or so every second. So, it would look like once you fight them off once, they stay down. Also, I think farming changes the ground to soil, so..... DIG BEYOND THE BOTTOM OF HELL FOR SCIENCE! DO IT NOW!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 04:59:33 am »

Oh, that. Sorry then, I read just the OP before jumping off straight to making the post. And from what I know I was one of the first to actually publicate science of the HFS here, so... yeah. Automation over dwarfpower.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 05:24:04 am »

You can't dig past hell unfortunately... You get muddied slade, but it's still slade. I have no idea how to break through that or if it's even possible. It's really empty down in hell though and I haven't seen a new demon in a long time now. Quite boring down here...

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 06:07:13 am »

You can't dig past hell unfortunately... You get muddied slade, but it's still slade. I have no idea how to break through that or if it's even possible. It's really empty down in hell though and I haven't seen a new demon in a long time now. Quite boring down here...
Start making magmafalls that empty to the glowing pits. You'll have to run them from the magma sea through the adamantine pipes and make ceiling-hanging aqueducts. Should be decent time waste.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 07:09:35 am »

I killed about 100 demons in one of my games. I buil several cave in traps down one shaft. released them, walled them in the shaft before they could reach my main fort. Dropped the lowest cave in level, then the next above that, then the next until almost all were dead. I build another shaft with a couple of more cave-ins to finish off the rest. now they spawn in hell at a really slow rate and I can go down there and admire the slade or whatever. (there isn't much to do once you've reached the lowest layer.)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 08:05:21 am »

Isn't it possible to channel through Semi-Molten Rock from above? Can't the same be done to slade, somehow?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 08:44:24 am »

Has anyone tried adamantine picks vs. slade?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 08:53:02 am »

Has anyone tried adamantine picks vs. slade?
Doesn't work. The material of the pick doesn't really factor in anything - except the survival rates of unexpected run-ins win cavern creatures.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 09:04:21 am »

What happened with the "infinite" demons everyone talked about? Was that only assumed through legends? Or was something changed since it was last tested?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 09:35:08 am »

What happened with the "infinite" demons everyone talked about? Was that only assumed through legends? Or was something changed since it was last tested?

They, for all intents and purposes, ARE infinite. A thread (and the string dump) had shown that they're generated ex nihilo when the game feels like they should be. Pray tell, that I wasn't ninja'd by some other SCIENCETHREAD.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 10:58:47 am »

I haven't had a chance to do this yet, but in my head it seems like a fairly easy way to deal with the demons.

First, dig down to the magma sea, and make a long 1-tile-wide snaky corridor on the same level as the magma. Now build an exact replica of the tunnel one z-level above it, and fill this about 3/7 high with water.

Now breach hell, and have your miner turn around and RUN as fast as possible down the lower of the two snaky corridors. All the demons will follow. If you did it right, the entire demon horde will be walking up and down the snaky corridor at once. At this point, seal off the entrancs and exits to this snaky corridor (not sure if bridges work, use constructed walls if you have to). So now you have all the demons locked away in an area that ISN'T hell. As far as I'm aware, new demons only spawn after a certain number of the original wave are killed. In theory, this means you can now go down to hell and wall off the sides, or build a little bunker, or do whatever you want to do, free from trouble. Then, when you're done with hell, you can fill the snaky corridor with magma, and then send your miner down te corridor filled with 3/7 water to channel out the floor below him. Doing this the whole way along will turn the entire demon corridor into obsidian, killing them all. If you took the time to wall off hell, then no more demons will spawn, and voila!

Next is something I actually did do, which is release the demons during a goblin siege. There were perhaps 70 goblins and 15 trolls at the time. Surprisingly, the goblins did really well, and killed all but 4 of the demons. I can imagine if you have a load of goblins caged, you could make a tactical-release system which uncages just enough goblins to finish the demons, without leaving behind too many goblins for you to mop up at the end.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:04:36 am by The Yellow Peril »

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:54 am »

Demons are immune to magma and water, but nothing is immune to being encased in obsidian or ice.  Unless the demons are truely infinite, they can all be killed by a large enough Degrinchinator or Obsidian trap.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:54 pm »

You have conquered the first layer of HFS.

Prepare for the next.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 12:12:50 pm »

i hope you guys realize that cavins structures collapse.
so this
crossveiw:
===
==
=

collapses to:
=
==
===

Right, which is why a blitzkrieg fortress should be U-shaped.
Pages: 1 2 [3]