Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Reveal?  (Read 2825 times)

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark Reveal?
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:37:37 am »

In 40d you could modify a text file so you could see what resources (like lava, underground pools, and adamantine) were in a site on the embark screen.  Is there still a way to do that in 2010?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:05:37 am by Urist McTaverish »
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Reveal?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:21:33 am »

The options are still there in the init file, for tunnels i think. As to lava/magma and fun-stone, you have them. Always. They're at the bottom of the map.

If you want water in your caverns there are tags in the worldgen options to ensure there is some in at least one of your cavern layers.
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:57 am »

That's the point though. Who want's to dig 170 levels just to get some magma? I miss magma pools. I miss chasms. I miss underground rivers. That was Fun!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:00:26 am »

Those things are missing but there are still volcanoes and they are visible.  They aren't very useful, though.  They are the same shape and size all the way up, and often several layers up into the sky.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:41:57 am »

In world's I generate, I set the volcanism to range from 75-100, so i've always got magma pipes reaching up into at least the second cavern (usually the first).  Never have to go far for the stuff!.

Genuine underground rivers would be fun, but the caverns usually have water (always if you gen the world that way), so no big deal there.  As for chasms - would be nice to have them for the waste disposal, yeah, but other than that - they aren't that much more interesting then some of the 20ish z-lvl drops in the caverns I usually get.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:43:47 am by Quadricwan »
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »

That's the point though. Who want's to dig 170 levels just to get some magma? I miss magma pools. I miss chasms. I miss underground rivers. That was Fun!

Armok's Sweaty Balls sir, what are you, an Elf? Of course digging 170 levels down for magma and pumping it to the surface is dangerous, time consuming, sometimes pointlessly complicated and difficult. It's supposed to be. This is Dwarf Fortress... and that's what we do here.
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »

Armok's Sweaty Balls sir, what are you, an Elf? Of course digging 170 levels down for magma and pumping it to the surface is dangerous, time consuming, sometimes pointlessly complicated and difficult. It's supposed to be. This is Dwarf Fortress... and that's what we do here.

I laughed hard.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 07:59:41 am »

I laughed hard.

Why thank you.

In all seriousness though, I do miss the map-spanning chasms full of fun, and underground rivers are something i would like to see back in some form. Unfortunatly they are dead and gone in their previous forms, as a chasm would invariably scythe through the caverns and end at the magma sea, and underground rivers would cause all manner of FPS-related doom involving falling water, magma, obsidian, and semi-molten rock. Getting pit-less underground rivers flowing through the caverns would be most welcome i think.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 02:55:41 am »

(SNIP)...as a chasm would invariably scythe through the caverns and end at the magma sea, and underground rivers would cause all manner of FPS-related doom involving falling water, magma, obsidian, and semi-molten rock. (SNIP)

Like embarking on volcanoes with caverns full of water in this version then? :)

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 04:47:40 am »

(SNIP)...as a chasm would invariably scythe through the caverns and end at the magma sea, and underground rivers would cause all manner of FPS-related doom involving falling water, magma, obsidian, and semi-molten rock. (SNIP)

Like embarking on volcanoes with caverns full of water in this version then? :)

Why, now you mention it, yes. :-P

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 12:02:37 pm »

b4 i knew tht shit was possible, i was worried as shit. one of my forts has this and at least once a season a section cavern way the fuck underground collapses as the obsidian drops from wherever the fuck its actually being made
E:my first map w/ a demon fortress i thought they were trying to dig upwards and kept killing themselves, or tht they were trying to sink the map
either option would have sucked w/ my military at the time
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:04:57 pm by Scaraban »
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.