Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: ~~~ Rocksfall The Spring Of Magic: Strip-Mining The Fountain Of Youth ~~~  (Read 8194 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile

~~~ Rocksfall The Spring Of Magic: Strip-Mining The Fountain Of Youth ~~~

Note:
In the old 40d days, a glitch with modding the raws gave me a Surprising Discovery when I embarked with my party of siamangs in wagon-leather armour.
One particular aspect of the glitchy game I've always remembered, and I've decided to work it up into a story, enacted in 0.31.10, for your enjoyment.

Comments, criticisms, suggestions are all welcome.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

My name is Lor.

I will speak, first, of riddles.

The Philosopher Plakrost, in his Letters, states that the riddle is the only entity that can show what cannot be said about ultimate truths.

The ancient Melbilic Book of Dross mentions the importance of "understanding a proverb and a figure, the mandates of the wise and their riddles".

Kumilson famously outwitted the Human Barbarians by posing a riddle about a giant leopard, a stone and a wasp nest (mentioned in Nobles 14:5-18, but the wording is now lost).

The first known riddle was that of the Spink, which perished when it was answered by Ezumdipus Tyrannus: "What be greater than goddes, brighter than the Eye Inne The Sky, whispered by the poore, untoúched by the rich, harder thanne unto steel and lighter thanne unto alumin?".

The third poem in Sibrek's Eddie, Vaþrfúsniðmál, contains the following riddle: "I come out of the earth, I linger in the tombs of kings. He who finds me gouges my eyes, shines my coat, weeps beside me when I am dead."

Another:
"My first is surety, steadfastness and stone,
My last is a mine which is missing a piece.
My whole is a fugue of treasures unknown
And the Legions Of Death I am prone to release."

"I light the darkness. I whisper in the night. I bathe in bedrock. I outshine my bed of gold. I am liquid-quick and tower-strong. I conquer everything. I sunder swords, pierce plates, shatter boulders, elicit death and life. My heart is a stone. I am the torment of dwarfdom."

"What do you put in a bucket to make it lighter?"

"This thing all things devours: Birds, beasts, trees, flowers; Gnaws iron, bites steel; Grinds hard stones to meal; Slays king, ruins town, And beats high mountain down. What am I?"

And most famously of all, "What have I got in my pocket?"

What do these riddles - the cornerstones of dwarfdom - have in common?

...Enough of cleverness; I grow tired, the light grows dim, and the gaoler is due to bring today's meal. Tomorrow, if I have the strength and Goden's visage does not haunt my dreams, I will continue.

- Lor Kasbenonul

Yesterday, in accordance with ancient tradition, I gave seven riddles. Together, they should not be difficult to answer.

After all, they have something in common.

Their key - their subject matter - is in fact the most-obsessed-over topic in known history.

Adamantine.

Adamant, skymetal, adamantite, true-silver, thunderbolt steel, mistarillë, adamantium. Call it what you will. Adamantine has been the life and death of dwarvenkind since the aeons of the Darkness Before. It is legend and the stuff of legend; the law; the measure of truth; the last stone.

The blue metal has been a scarcity, but a utility, for millennia. In a time before time, did not the Mountain Titan Kronus castrate its spawn-father with a sickle of adamantine? Is it not said that Urhaestus (god of rocks, fortresses and metals) bound the kobold thief-god Promirgleus to jagged rocks in adamantine bonds infrangible, and the elfen tree-spirit Qoki to the bowels of the earth with adamantine chains forged from the intestines of his son?

Pertheus The Lisp Of Becoming slew the Father of Hydras, Merdura, with an adamantine sword, chopping each of its heads off seven times over; this we know. The sword in question lies in the deepest of the museum-strongholds in the mountainhomes.

What is less certain is the existence, somewhere in the south, of a giant mind-blistering... thing of pure adamant. A volcano, some say; a hill titan, say others; a great obelisk erected by the goblins say still more. Murmurs are made in alehouses of the Hill Of Spit, but those who cross the brook Troublemysteries to get to it may be considered as good as dead. There is a place in the deep south where expeditions travel to yearly, and never return. Anything else is hearsay.

The Book Of Armok itself cryptically states, to dwarfkind in general, that "As an adamant colder than flint have I made thy manly bits: fear others not, neither be dismayed at their looks, though they a rebellious fortress." (Inod 3:9)

In the Philosopher Solon Mirrton's book, Underground Gained, the demon Shaitur bears a shield "of tenfold adamant" and he and his horde are hurled "to bottomless perdition, there to dwell in adamantine chains and penal [sic] fire".

Father of Fire, Son of Stone, Sibling of Slade, adamantine has driven more expeditions into the wild - and more expeditions to their doom - than I personally have had soggy dinners. Philosophers and alchemists have spent their lives and the lives of their disciples researching the properties of that most precious of substances. Lordlings and grizzled veterans have travelled millions of miles in search of an unextinguishable source: the Fountain Of Adamantine, the Philosopher's Stone. There are not enough ways to sing adamantine's praises.

I have a story to tell before I die in this dim, dank cell.

Let me tell you the story of how I came to abhor the stuff.

The story of how we came to find that fountain.

- Lor Kasbenonul

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I met Goden 'the madman' Helmcolors when I was a sprightly eighty-seven years old, and he was a stripling of fifty-four. I don't remember how he appeared to me then, or my exact first impressions - memory is fading like brittle parchment with age - but I recall he had a magnetism to him.

Goden walked into the scribe's hall at Durolast with a clanking sack over each shoulder, and announced he was in need of a clerk. He had personally financed an expedition deep into the west, and had rounded up five other fellows already.

Yes... The smell of blossom drifted in that hall, mingling into a symphony of sensation with the scrabbling of chalk. That I do recall: the flowering tunneltube tree pressed against the windows of the hall. It was the last scene of homely beauty I would ever clap my eyes upon.

Being well-read, and employed at one time in the hall of records of the mountainhomes themselves, I knew the exact chances of surviving an expedition such as that proposed. It was not the sort of odds any dwarf outside the Jabberer Racing Track would bank on.

So I'm still not sure how I came to be walking out of there with him, my name still glistening in ink on the bottom of the settlement papers.

Suffice it to say that I uprooted myself and left the only home I had ever known, travelling into the wilderness with a madman in charge (as so often seems to be the case) and five other idealistic young companions, chosen for their skill with a spear as much as a rake or hammer.

I won't burden you with their names. They, with the parchment and the tunneltube blossom, have faded into time.

- Lor Kasbenonul

I call him madman, but he is brilliant too. Like a crazily fractured mirror in a roomful of glow-worms. I once asked a young dwarf I knew with a penchant for psychoanalysis to describe him.

A curious combination. All nerves and discipline, both relaxation and constant striving. He is given to introspection and obsession over the most trifling of things, while completely ignoring other obstacles. He holds his duty to dwarfdom above all things, but is borderline sociopathic when it comes to his fellow dwarves themselves.

And, of course, he is hidebound and unintellectual, yet his schemes have - well. They have borne a fruit, a harvest of zesty and sweet fruit of unimaginable terror. Crazy schemes dreamed up by an apparently dull individual. Obviously doomed to fail, yet I am scratching this account into the floor with a discarded chunk of adamantine the size of your fist.

More on that, later.

He claims to faithfully worship Mebzuth erith Catten. "The Labour Of Channels" is a household god, a beatific orange-skinned dwarf in charge of cooking implements, handicrafts and stockings. Innocuous enough, but a pale candleflame compared to Gamil Atastkerlig, whose generosity and sacrifice light the darkness, the unfaithful speak not his name, say yea unto his Brave Shells and tremble ye mighty.

Goden. Bah. In day to day and managerial affairs he is about as creative as a lump of coal, but his insight and canniness in all things mechanical and chemical is legendary. He doesn't understand how people work, but he remembers every little detail, knows exactly where to be, can never be caught out.

He is a dichotomy, an enigma, a terror.

He likes donkeys and good solid shale, which he claims 'ground him in reality'. That remains to be seen. He drinks a curious mixture of beer and horse-milk, presumably the solidest, realest, earthiest substances he can think of.

Visually, he is your typical dwarfy dwarf's dwarf, short, muscular, gruff and heavily bearded. His hair curls around and weaves itself into his lipbristle, which in turn melds smoothly into his remarkably long nosehairs. His eyes are flat brass, bulgy and psychotic, and when he turns those tiny purple focal points on you it's like he's looking into your soul. There's an orange tint to his browned skin, too. No doubt some unalterable mark from one of his experiments.

That is really all I know of what he is; what he has done will become clear in good time.

- Lor Kasbenonul

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We travelled for months through the stinking, insect-ridden hellhole jungle landscape of the west. Thank the grace of Gamil Atastkerlig that I grew up in a little trading town close to the surface, and was used to the sun and "weather". I would surely have perished elsewise.

Insects. Utterly unidentifiable insects, everywhere, always. Biting, scratching, stinging. My head was to ring for years afterwards with the buzz and mutter of them. I wore my full face fox-leather helm even to bed, and I still have visions of insects on my eyeballs.

Even then, in my middle age, I was not fit, and by the time I stumbled into the circle of firelight by the cart on the eighty-fifth day everything had been set up. We were settling down here, one of the others told me. Goden was standing alone with his back to the fire, but there was some sort of flickering glow reflected in them somehow. He was holding a beaker of earth and had a lens fitted to his eye. This was the place, he informed me. This was the place he would make our dreams into reality.

We were in a boggy, timber-strewn wilderness.

This was not hopeful.

Conversation over our rationed dinner that night would have been stilted anyway, but Goden ordered us all to start sharpening sticks and hardening them in the fire. Makeshift spears. The boy - what was his name, now? - the carpenter lad was set to carving and hammering crude shields.

Again: not hopeful.

- Lor Kasbenonul

That next morning, we were wakened from our dreams of delightful fuzzy cats (I can't actually speak for the others here) by a shout.

Goden was missing. We snatched up stakes and shields and hurried off towards its source. I brought up the rear, partly in trepidation, partly still rubbing biting insects from my face.

The next sight - vaporousness of memory be damned - none of us would forget, for as long as we lived.

It was huge; it was bubbling; it was yellow- or red- hot in different patches.

It was, without a doubt, magma; a great mellow field of it out in the watermeadows.

It was also, without a doubt, encapsuled in a huge, dirty glob of crude adamantine.

Adamantine. Steam rose through it, flies hovered over it. Adamantine. Threaded with obsidian and partly covered in scree. Adamantine. Under our feet, adamantine. Adamantine.

Goden was standing there in his ornate bronze armour, clutching his axe and looking beatific and plain old crazy by turns. He turned at our faltering-footfalled approach, and shouted, "Welcome to Idumid Kigok Aroth! Rocksfall, The Spring Of Magic! It's ours!! Ours!!! The purest wellspring of the purest metal!!!!"

We picked him up where he fell and carried him back to camp, trudging through the foam that dripped from his mouth. We didn't care, though. We were thrilled and terrified. We had made camp practically on top of some sort of volcanic vent. On top of some sort of magical volcanic vent.

When Goden came to, he also came down long enough to 'explain' it to us.

The springs here were the purest in the world, he said.

Normal water has all sorts of charged particles in it that cling to things and make them invisibly dirty, he said.

Usually when you flash-cool magma with water, these dirty particulates get in the web and form obsidian, he said.

Here, though, he said.

Here, though, the purest waters in the world flow up from the underground right next to a lava spill containing just the right balance of minerals. He said.

Here, where water flash-cools magma, he said, it makes adamantine.

We asked him to repeat that last bit.

Here, where water flash-cools magma, he said, it makes adamantine.

What?

Here, in this place, where magma, that hot stuff, gets insta-cooled by water, that wet stuff, it makes adamantine, that shiny stuff. He said, irritated.

Oh good golly gosh, we said.

Or words to that effect.

- Lor Kasbenonul

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was the fresh beginning of the year 351.

The curse of Rocksfall – the curse that was Rocksfall – made itself known almost immediately.

This was a savage land, and the swampiness was perfect for all manner of fell beastie.

Our heads were still full of visages of shining blue perfection when the snailmen fell upon us like ferocious, silent, extremely slow, wolves.

Goden took command. He seized up his axe, and ordered us into formation. Behind him.

We fought over hill and dale, spiralling through the land about our camp, putting down animal after animal, drawing ever closer to the dark opening in the hill that slumped a while away from the magical magma well.

Another great blue bird trilled in the entrance, and Goden cut it down in the blink of an eye, slashing its legs out from under it to stop it escaping, then methodically hacking away at its torso.

Even the young and spry amongst us could not properly keep up with him; it was just as well, as he had some  berserk rage going on. His cries and mutters, ringed with a circle of steel that was his axe, were on the topic of protection, containment, sanctuary, adamantine. He aimed to make this place his own, and its spell  already lurked deep within him.

Lurking, however, was not exclusively his domain. As the inky cave depths enveloped us, we soon enough came across a terrible creature.

The ettin stumbled towards us.
One head bawled, ‘HUUUUUUGS!’
The other cried, ‘SQUUEEEEEZE!’
You must understand, the arms on this thing were as thick as wagon wheels. It looked like it had stuffed six bullocks into a pair of stockings and stapled one to each shoulder.
The embrace of this thing looked robust enough to shatter dragons' bones, or bend tempered steel like putty.

I must admit, I hung back. Some part of me – the still-sane, rational part – was ready to flee this place. Another part wanted to follow Goden into the bowels of hell.

But what could we possibly do?

Bloody to the elbows, one foot planted firmly on the beast's chest, Goden bellowed his supremacy into the dark depths.

The echo sounded a lot deeper than I was comfortable with.

- Lor Kasbenonul

Four of us explored the tunnels in pairs, as Goden barged ahead, seeking the next thing to stab, maim or slice.

One lass had some medical training. I don't recall her name. She was left to shore up the youngest of our party, a little digger named – what was it now? Cog something? Cogonut? Cognac? - anyway, he got too close to the razor-sharp beak and snatching claws of a big cave swallow.

Cogpot, possibly.
They tell me that 'Goden' is close to the human word for 'father deity'.
Then again, it's awfully close to godum, too. I fear to make too much of it.

By the time we got back, Cog-thing was dead.

I'll remember his name, some day. It'll return to me with the clutch of the grave.

- Lor Kasbenonul

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...wow. Just, wow. Loving it. Great imagery too   ;D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

ADAMANTINE!!!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very enjoyable read so far! 

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Excellent work.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The first thing Goden told us, back in the suddenly-welcoming sunlight, was that we would have to make some changes.

We had, nonoptimally, lost access to the resources of a valuable team member, he said. It sounded like he was randomly quoting terms from one of those modern foreman's management books. He didn't even look at the corpse of the boy. Cogwheel. Cogadoodle. Thing.

The changes, apparently, meant that our carpenter's apprentice would now become a miner. To fill the carpenter's boots, I would step in. Since I would not then have time to keep records, our mason would have to do that. Because good masonry blocks weren't going to produce themselves, our farmer would have to step up to the platter. Our last 'valuable team member', the doctor, became a military trainee, and would help Goden guard the camp. When the time came to need farming, we'd all shuffle around again.

It all worked, see.

In hindsight, that was probably the most reasonable of all of Goden's plans, ever.

Days passed. Five slugmen swarmed down the hill, made boogly eyes at us, and fought back in slow motion when attacked. Goden added five new notches to his axe handle. Tiny marks, not even in a traditional skull shape, but at this rate he'd need a new handle by winter.

In our spare time, we'd each approach the bubbling magma lake and pick fascinatedly at bits of the glittery crust. This was pig-adamantine, mainly extremely short strands all mucked up in bits of peat and conglomerate and rapidly-cooled crystal. Still more valuable than diamonds, of course, but it wouldn't go far towards refining into the pure metal.

Goden told us that the further down we went, the better it would get, and suggested for a few days that we address him as 'King Goden The Magnificent'. Then he went quiet, which was worse in a way.

He sent the once-able-farmer-now-barely-able-to-hold-a-chisel-the-right-way-mason down to map the caves. We'd already found the tunnel complex trailed off into deep, murky water. There was no going forward, and nothing to horribly butcher.

Well, at the time. After all, we recovered the map from the ex-farmer's body.

His markedly headless body. There were big, slippery footprints nearby.

Onol, I think his name was. The ravages of time have me wrapped up in their fuzzy carpet. I recall his face: large and flabby, blonde-bearded, with a nose like a huge plum. The name's hazy, though. Maybe it was Onal.

As the heat of summer rolled over us and then died away to make room for autumn's mists, we dug in, fast.

The fountain of youth, or spring of magic, as Goden insisted we call it – the adamantine fishpond, as we called it amongst ourselves – continued to entrance us and lent marrow to our spines when we were slow or feeble. Even when the drink ran out, we kept going.

We worked in shifts to butcher the carcasses Goden dragged in, before they went manky and rotten. We preserved some in salt, lime or a pickling fluid made from snailman glands. Others decomposed where they lay; there were simply too many to cope with. Every second step crunched on bones. Everyone's hands and clothes were permanently bloodstained.

It was truly horrible.

My days became a blur of ham-handed hammering and clumsy-as-sod sawing as I struggled to fill the carpentry needs of our small population. Eventually, I pride myself that I developed some talent.

Goden, meanwhile, strode around, axe in hand, swinging at dandelions and muttering to himself. Before long, he had seized a workbench and was stringing together a complex pump system.

‘Testing,’ he explained. ‘We shall see what purity, what fluid turbulence, what minerals are required. What grades of adamantium we can produce. We will find the optimum ratio and balances. We will harvest the magma as it flows and produce a pile of adamantine the size of a hill. And then...’ he trailed off, eyes gleaming.

Coming from anyone else, wishful thinking. Babble.

Coming from anyone else standing before this very real morass of magic molten metal, enough to inspire an eternity of avarice in an average dwarf.

His words sent a shiver up and down my beard, though.

Testing began as winter wrapped its supple toes playfully around us.

Goden's howls of success were indistinguishable from any of his other howls. He has taken to pacing the muddy sand limits of our hole in the ground, talking to the withered skulls of his enemies.

This is better, I think.

It was at this point that I began to keep a journal, a personal account of all that would happen at Rocksfall The Spring Of Magic. I still have it here, secure beneath the boulder I use for a pillow.

Where memory fails, the graven words of the past will prevail.

The adamantine, when we hastily dug it out, falling upon the hot stone with shirts wrapped around our hands for protection and faces lit up with glee, was perfectly usable. It seems to be... real, perfect, utterly strong adamantine. ...it smelled like it. It tasted like it. There was no trick. It was for real.

We had struck it rich. Infinitely, renewably, unimaginably rich.

- Lor Kasbenonul

=~= DIARY OF LOR KASBENONUL, 7 Sandstone 351 =~=

Goden's pump has begun  to smoulder. This is surprising.

Or not surprising, in as far as it is made of wood and has been pumping superheated molten rock.

Surprising in that it worked at all, is what I'm trying to say.

I fear for my life and thank the gods I have no children to fear for. With great adamantine comes great terror. Unimaginable trouble looms, I feel it in my bowels.

This is wisdom for our lifetimes.

- Lor Kasbenonul

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adamantine farm... there goes the whole global metalsmithing economy  8)

I'd presume they'd use the stuff for everything from now on!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Metalsmithing, clothesmithing.  The only thing you can't do with adamantine is eat it.

Which, of course, is the problem.

Excellent storytelling, by the by.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Metalsmithing, clothesmithing.  The only thing you can't do with adamantine is eat it.

Excellent storytelling, by the by.

I'm pretty sure that in 40d somebody made a reaction that turned adamantine into biscuits at the smelter.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software

I'm pretty sure that in 40d somebody made a reaction that turned adamantine into biscuits at the smelter.

Try NEW! Adamant-Os!
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha, thanks guys.

New update soon, hopefully on the next page because my netbook is already refusing to load all the images on this one.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

=~= DIARY OF LOR KASBENONUL, 10 Moonstone 351 =~=

Winter finds us digging deeper and deeper.

Our barely-competent miner, Kumil, broke into the cavern system directly below our poorly fortified keep.

Goden went and stared into the abyss, which presumably stared back at him, and told us to pave a causeway over it: he was going to fill it up with magma.

There was water below, but soon it would be a shining floor of purest adamant.

Sigun was once our mason. Now I've had to show him how to hold a quill the right way round so he can see to our records, while I labour at a carpenter's bench – ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die, I suppose. Anyway, we five sane survivors have made him expedition leader while ‘King Goden’ continues to stroll around, talking to bats and walls.

=~= DIARY OF LOR KASBENONUL, 20 Moonstone 351 =~=

Oh, blessed be to Gamil Atastkerlig. Those – on the horizon – surely -

Yes. Migrants.

I watched in trepidation as Goden staggered back up from the abyss, where he had been locked in a staring contest with a clawed toad the size of my grandfather's war canoe. His [Goden's; not my grandfather's] eyes bulged when he saw our new arrivals and he fell into a blistering rage.

I think Atir the strand extractor was the straw that broke the two-humped camel's back. All the migrants had come as excited explorers, following the trail we explored in the wilderness, despite having heard nothing of our success. Somehow Goden came to believe that the secret of the magic fountain had leaked out, and we were going to be surged by crazed diggers.

We took them to it, blindfolded, one by one, and I watched in amusement as each in turn sank to his knees and wept at its beauty.

Goden's rage lasted for three days and involved the maiming of one of my darling cat's kittens.

Goden, you bastard, I followed you to the ends of the world, and now I swear you must die.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4