Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 494498 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.12: Endgame.
« Reply #2085 on: February 09, 2011, 04:51:02 am »

+1 to Kill the rage-filling Skree.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: February 09, 2011, 05:17:30 am »

Don't let your emotions for Skree get in the way of the bigger picture, guys.
Emotions ARE the bigger picture, the only way to defeat Feringus is to get someone/something else to do it for us or to convince her that the oculoids are mentally valuable...
Skree is but a part of this.

Feringus and Gentleman need to be stopped, now.
Gentleman can take us and Feringus can destroy us with a single word, and is probably immune to any harm we might intend to inflict upon her...

Kill Skree. Don't make him suffer any longer.
Skipping the whole euthanasia debate, Skree may be the only giant oculoid we can reason with, and the giant oculoids may be the only ones that demonstrate enough complex though to convince Feringus.

Rebuttals for Pacifism:
Japa (dodge /wear Skree out) - This will take up far too much valuable time. It will be too late.
We do not have any data on the oculoid physiology, but nor does gentleman, and a terrestrial organism would be hard pressed to maintain a body that size on the energy reserves it had in its former size. Running away should be a viable means of evading and tiring an oculoid out...

iceball3 (shout FACADE as loud as possible) - This is a doubtful course of action, at best. It relies on far too much chance and guesswork than I'm comfortable with. Maybe if there was some precedence for FACADE working from any source other than the organ, or of AG being able to properly shout it, then I might be behind this, if only to counteract the herpaderp bullcrap we pulled with the music box.
Music box worked, it can't be very loud, now skree is making more noise. I would advocate retiring to the organ though, you are right about the precedent.

rarborman (put paper hat on Skree) - Fantastic, he'll look super stylish as he violently murders us.
The emotional attachment to the hat is obvious, and may return much of its former mentality. I would argue that there are limited opportunities and that itsemotional receptiveness is limited at the current moment.

dragnar (use eyedol / hide on dock) - Use eyedol how, exactly? Hide on dock where, exactly? Again, hiding would take way too much time. If it was even possible to do in the first place
Most probably by presenting it, although I am not certain that the current oculoids involve themselves too much with the relevant symbolism.

RAM (throw music box) - What does this achieve? The damage has already been done; destroying the music box isn't going to make it stop storming. We would need to play FACADE on the organ to do that.
It serves as a distraction, and the objective is not to destroy it by throwing it into the ground, but to remove it from our person by skidding it across the ground. Hopefully it will continue to play and serve as a much greater irritant than a withdrawing robot.

Also, remember: even if we manage to calm Skree down slightly, it'll just be turning the knob down from Insanely Murderous Rage to just plain old Murderous Rage.
The objective is to render it to a similar state to the one that died, except with less dissection...

Any effort to reverse the process (something we know absolutely nothing about, by the way, and will have to figure out from scratch) and Feringus and Gentlemen will have already achieved their goals.
We know that music has an influence upon their emotional state. We know that FACADE acts similarly to a sedative and that the music box acts similarly to a stimulant. We are lacking input from an unknown period of time and Feringus may have completed her efforts and already left the planet. Skree is a valid responsibility and one that we have means of dealing with, not to mention the capacity to greatly aid with any other issues should we find a favourable resolution.

Skree can and will outmanouvre us and has far more endurance than we do. Running or outlasting Skree is simply not an option.
I have yet to see evidence of giant occuloid endurance and we have seen that Gentleman was capable of escaping...

Our only possible advantage at the moment is Stovebrand.
We possess considerable advantages in terms of information and considering that we are at a disadvantage in range, power, and number of effective weapons and angles of attack, I would say that stovebrand is an advantage only as a distraction. Damage is far more likely to be inflicted by an unexpected unarmed attack.

Let's use it.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: February 09, 2011, 05:23:24 am »

Hold up Eyedol, sing Facade as loud as can do, and think happy thoughts about time spent with Scree. Continue doing this even if - especially if - he picks us up again.

Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: February 09, 2011, 05:38:55 am »

here's a question to consider before trying to kill skree:

are we able to? somehow, I don't think poking a very large occuloid with a very small sword is gonna do much other than anger him, so really, it's not something we should try doing unless we've literally exhausted all other options, which we haven't.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:35 am »

I think I'm going to clarify a few things quick that have been dealt with before but may have been forgotten over the last few months, since this discussion is pretty damn active (40 posts on 'fight or don't fight'? You guys are awesomely invested). I'm ready to write the update but I'm not really feeling sold one way or the other yet - "don't attack" has more votes but "attack" has reasoning not relying on 'couldn't hurt to try' rationale - so I'm going to write both and then come back and reconsider which to draw after that. Sorry that this is getting drawn out I guess? But there were like three fairly complicated/large updates over a day and a half so I'm all right with that.

Spoiler: Current tally (click to show/hide)

iceball3 (shout FACADE as loud as possible) - This is a doubtful course of action, at best. It relies on far too much chance and guesswork than I'm comfortable with. Maybe if there was some precedence for FACADE working from any source other than the organ, or of AG being able to properly shout it, then I might be behind this, if only to counteract the herpaderp bullcrap we pulled with the music box.
Music box worked, it can't be very loud, now skree is making more noise. I would advocate retiring to the organ though, you are right about the precedent.

Something that I feel comfortable clarifying (as it was explained in the various notes somewhat) is that the striking effect of the various melodies is because of the patterns of vibrations repeated at precise levels and intervals. Things like the piano or music box, both designed specifically to create repeating vibrations, are more capable of doing this than a robot attempting to whistle or shout the notes due to their precision and consistent tempo rather than their relative volume.

We do not have any data on the oculoid physiology, but nor does gentleman, and a terrestrial organism would be hard pressed to maintain a body that size on the energy reserves it had in its former size. Running away should be a viable means of evading and tiring an oculoid out

I’m just highlighting a line here because it’s a curious observation. The implications are yours to consider.

here's a question to consider before trying to kill skree:

are we able to? somehow, I don't think poking a very large occuloid with a very small sword is gonna do much other than anger him, so really, it's not something we should try doing unless we've literally exhausted all other options, which we haven't.

Going to c/p something from IRC here real quick rather than rewrite it again, since we were just talking about this.

<Japa_werk> are we even able to hurt skree?
<Japa_werk> I mean...
<Japa_werk> all we have is a little pokey thing
<Retro> from the tests done after the sword was forged (on the dead oculoid in the freezer) you can cut up its soft bits pretty easily but its skeletal bone parts are completely invulnerable to your swing
<Retro> you are also a fairly powerful robot
<Retro> if the verdict falls on 'fight' it's not going to be an impossible fight
<Retro> I'm just going to make you guys use more strategy than "swing at it" to win

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: February 09, 2011, 11:11:34 am »

We do not have any data on the oculoid physiology, but nor does gentleman, and a terrestrial organism would be hard pressed to maintain a body that size on the energy reserves it had in its former size. Running away should be a viable means of evading and tiring an oculoid out...

I have yet to see evidence of giant occuloid endurance and we have seen that Gentleman was capable of escaping...

We already tried just running. Scree jumped over us and knocked us down. Running away sounds like a great plan, if you can figure out a way to make it work.

And speaking of oculoid physiology, a terrestrial organism would also be hard pressed to grow to several hundred times its original size in a few seconds. Or power an interstellar space ship. Let's face it, these things run on fucking magic. The ones chained to the wall managed to break their shackles, so I'd say they're pretty powerful.

It serves as a distraction, and the objective is not to destroy it by throwing it into the ground, but to remove it from our person by skidding it across the ground. Hopefully it will continue to play and serve as a much greater irritant than a withdrawing robot.

So, you're suggesting that we CONTINUE playing the music box, but throw it away from us, hoping that Scree goes for it first? Yeah, this doesn't sound like a good plan to me. If the music is still playing, stop it somehow, and if it isn't, for the love of Skygod, don't start it again!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2091 on: February 09, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »

especially when
You are thrown back by an overwhelming convulsive storm of rage, misery, and pain.

Except, next time we try, Skree is liable to simply crush us or knock us into the lava or shred us with his giant teeth.

I suggest we slide over to Stovebrand, putting it between us and Skree. When Skree advances, we grip the hilt tightly, leaping as hard as we can straight up, and giving Skree a vicious vertical slice centered on his pupil. While he's blinded/recoiling from the hit, we quickly grab our stuff and abscond. We go for the organ and play FACADE, to reverse the music box.

From there, we can either hunt down Feringus or go to the lab and figure out a cure for Skree. If Chemical X can be reversed, we can surely come up with an oculoid healing salve as well. I have no hope for either of those options, but eh.

I suggest we find Feringus and
Spoiler: show her this. (click to show/hide)
Because, you're right: we can only win over Feringus and Gentleman with emotions.
But I don't think an unstoppable giant raging Oculoid is going to convince Feringus that oculoids are worth saving.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:50:20 pm by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2092 on: February 09, 2011, 12:41:23 pm »

Oh, and

before doing the jump-and-slash-Skree thing I mentioned earlier,

Coat Stovebrand in Dapper Dan's Pomade
No need to be thorough, just a quick once-over with the tin. Should only take a second.

It's practically Chekhov's Pomade at this point, anyway.

Should act as an irritant, blinding/distracting Skree further, to aid in our escape.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:43:26 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: February 09, 2011, 01:53:12 pm »

You know, I thought about jokingly suggesting that we toss the pomade at Scree, because we've been carting it around since the beginning and it's about time it was useful in a puzzle. :P

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: February 09, 2011, 07:23:03 pm »

IDEA: Play dead.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.13: Endgame.
« Reply #2095 on: February 09, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Attack.

You find yourself with little option but to take up your sword, if only in self-defense. Perhaps if you can scare him off or give yourself an opportunity to flee, you can make your way to the piano room and play FACADE again to try and calm him down.

Sorry, buddy. If you’re still in there.

Coat Stovebrand in Dapper Dan's Pomade

You take out the tin of pomade you’ve been carrying around all this time and rub some of it along Stovebrand quickly. Maybe if you can irritate his eye you’ll scare him off.

That, or he’s going to be the most dapper dead junior adventurer oculoid this side of the galaxy.

When Skree advances, we grip the hilt tightly, leaping as hard as we can straight up, and giving Skree a vicious vertical slice centered on his pupil.

Skree lurches towards you again. Here’s your chance. No hard feelings, buddy.

You slash upwards at his eye as he rushes you, making a cut perpendicular to his pupil-line. Skree howls in pain and rage.

While he's blinded/recoiling from the hit, we quickly grab our stuff and abscond.

The beast recoils in pain. Now’s your chance.

WHOAUGH

You are knocked down again, this time just over the lip of the rock. You manage to grip the edge, but only barely, your feet dangling just over the magma below.

You pull yourself back onto the rock and take up Stovebrand again. The pomade definitely manage to irritate him, that’s for sure.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »

Keep at it until Skree retreats.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:30 pm »

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2098 on: February 09, 2011, 10:30:15 pm »

Keep at it until Skree retreats.

Yep, we gotta keep at it.

Throw our broken bottle at Skree's wound.

Hold our sword in a guard stance, and advance on Skree, slicing at any opening or squishy target.
I can see it now.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: February 09, 2011, 10:46:03 pm »

We are no longer Adventure guy.

We are Kain.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 168