Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 495393 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Final Round 16.23: Endgame.
« Reply #2325 on: February 22, 2011, 04:51:08 pm »

I agree with Argembarger on every issue.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: February 22, 2011, 05:17:36 pm »

I agree with argembarger. it is rather ridiculous that she would be human, not to metion that the dog is looking healthy. dogs don't live so long as for a human to age like the way you guys are describing. as for the equipment, the oculoids do get rather eratic when things frighten them, and the shack outside could be destroyed by all the storms that pass by on a regular basis

while I do think that the notion of feringus being a robot is not unfounded, I also believe that evidence directly contradicts this. (geez I'm playing too much ace attorney.)

I am curiouse how Les died though. Show her Les's skull to make her see what this line of thinking has done to him and how the same could happen to her.
What do you think? Yes? No?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: February 22, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »

If we can convince ourselves that she isnt human, we maybe able to ignore her commands.

No.

Throw the broken bird and egg at Feringus and exclaim "LOOK WHAT SCIENCE HATH DONE!".

No.

>Do not bring up the completely ridiculous notion that Dr. Feringus could possibly be a robot. Abandon this line of thinking immediately.
Agreed.

Yes.

Agreed

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: February 22, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »

Quote from: Retro link=topic=62130.msg2006619#msg2006619   date=1298333237
Also, whoah,   has this really been going that long? Congratulations! :D

Seven months,   almost to the day. Which means I've been averaging 5.24 panels a day as   well, doublejesus.
Holy **** that's a lot! O_O

If she can grow something like this from a single piece of chemical X, why not just take a bit? The oculoids don't need to die, not if she leaves most of the chemical.
This!

Quote from: Terrahex link=topic=62130.msg2009426#msg2009426   date=1298413056
I am curiouse how Les died though. Show her   Les's skull to make her see what this line of thinking has done to him   and how the same could happen to her.
And this.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: February 22, 2011, 06:56:49 pm »

"The occuloids are the inevitable product of meeting all your needs, and you see no value in their existence, I cannot let you destroy humanity's existence."
Stuff the G.M.'s philosophy!
Data entry: Occuloid = human.
Data entry: Occuloid life requires intact energy balls.
Directive: Dr. Feringus must be restrained to prevent loss of human life.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: February 22, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »

"The occuloids are the inevitable product of meeting all your needs, and you see no value in their existence, I cannot let you destroy humanity's existence."

Agreed.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2331 on: February 22, 2011, 07:17:46 pm »

Agreed.

No. What even is this?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:42 pm »

I just got back home now, and I haven't gotten the chance to even write the update yet (hell, I might not have time to start for a little bit still), so again, could be a while. Keep talking and discussing and whatevering and so forth if you are so inclined, there's still plenty of time to throw new ideas in.

e- yeah, life be throwing shit at me. tomorrow sometime, then.

Quote from: Retro link=topic=62130.msg2006619#msg2006619   date=1298333237
Also, whoah,   has this really been going that long? Congratulations! :D
Seven months,   almost to the day. Which means I've been averaging 5.24 panels a day as   well, doublejesus.
Holy **** that's a lot! O_O

On an entirely unrelated note, Armok, man, how do you manage to mangle quotes so bad? :o You just hit 'quote' and then write under it. I have no idea what you do to throw in broken quote lines and spaces everywhere. A true scientific curiousity.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:16:04 pm by Retro »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: February 22, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »

It's a carefully practiced skill.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: February 22, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »

Agreed.

No. What even is this?

Are you unable to think out of the box? The suggestions you seem to disagree are attempts for personal growth of AG. Its an attempt to be able to think on our own without being controlled by the Doctor. It is separate from actual physical actions that can also be taken.

That isnt to say that other idea's besides my own are correct or not, Retro will decide what happens in what ever way he sees fit.

If you have a real rebuttal about the course of actions that wish to be taken place, present it. Otherwise stop simply saying "no" to peoples suggestions just because you disagree with them and start presenting valid arguments, or at least idea's of your own.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:02:30 pm by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2335 on: February 22, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »

The first two suggestions I disagreed with were simply silly and nonsensical. How is
Throw the broken bird and egg at Feringus and exclaim "LOOK WHAT SCIENCE HATH DONE!".
leading to the "personal growth" of AG, anyway? I don't follow your logic.

Retro has made it fairly clear that, as long as it's physically possible to do, silly and nonsensical things will be done with a bit of support. I am striking them down to make sure they don't happen.

As for this one, "What even is this?" was a valid question. Is he suggesting we somehow reprogram our own mind? Doesn't that strike you as a little bit impossible?

In other words, got a plan to make that suggestion a physical reality? As much as AG acts and thinks like a human, he isn't. No amount of hoping and wishing will override his hard-coded programming. I am loathe to even try, lest Feringus simply get tired of our shenanigans and order us to leap off the walkway to our death.

Feringus has already proven herself in complete control of the situation. I don't want to see your guys' fooling around lead to problems that we shouldn't have to deal with at this point.

And before you accuse me of mindlessly shutting down suggestions, I have already given one my support.

Inform doctor Feringus that you don't approve of her methods. Ask if she would like to hear what you have learned of the oculoids. Also ask her to tell more of these "vibrations" the magic energy stuff reacts to. I want to know if Feringus knows what the music box would do, preferably without reminding her that we have it.

This is a rational course of action. It's mild-mannered and non-confrontational, which is important because, as I've already said, Feringus can end us with one word.

Long story short, Feringus is a human. We can't reprogram ourselves, we don't even know how to. So... yeah. That's pretty much that.

Quite frankly, if Retro isn't prepared to make this story have an epic anticlimax due to a horrible mistake we make right now, I will be extremely disappointed.
I can see it now.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: February 22, 2011, 11:38:48 pm »

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

WHYYYYYYYYY?!?!? I shouldn't have read through this thread until the story was done! Now I won't be able to sleep because I'll be all like, 'OH MY GOD WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN TO AG! GAAAAH!!!'

On an actually serious note, why doesn't AG just ignore Feringus' commands? We know he can, because the totem-guy-thing said he would be able to. And he knows it, too. He can just tell her that she can stick her commands where the sun shines-even-less-than-it-does-down-here-at-the-core-of-a-planet and... wait, what's his plan in the first place?

Also, this story is awesome! Retro, you have officially been inducted into my mental Hall of Genius'.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2337 on: February 22, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »

We may be able to ignore her commands later. Apparantly, not now.

We can't even hit her when she tells us to.
I can see it now.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: February 23, 2011, 12:18:21 am »

On an actually serious note, why doesn't AG just ignore Feringus' commands? We know he can, because the totem-guy-thing said he would be able to.
No, he said there was always another option. We CANT disobey her direct orders, but it claimed her orders will never leave us without options.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: February 23, 2011, 12:28:54 am »

Argembarger, thank you for taking the time to respond to peoples comments more thoroughly, I can understand your thought process much easier now.

The first two suggestions I disagreed with were simply silly and nonsensical. How is
leading to the "personal growth" of AG, anyway? I don't follow your logic.
I agree with you in this example. I doubt tossing the egg at her would do anything helpful.

As for this one, "What even is this?" was a valid question. Is he suggesting we somehow reprogram our own mind? Doesn't that strike you as a little bit impossible?

In other words, got a plan to make that suggestion a physical reality? As much as AG acts and thinks like a human, he isn't. No amount of hoping and wishing will override his hard-coded programming. I am loathe to even try, lest Feringus simply get tired of our shenanigans and order us to leap off the walkway to our death.
The idea behind this is supported by the thought that we have a sentience and a free will of our own that goes beyond our own programing now. There are many examples of this that come into question through out the story. Even Gentlemen was able to do it to a point. He convinced himself that we were a threat, even though we did not plan on doing anything that he suggested we were going to do. We, in theory, could do the same to the same extent to achieve our goals if they happened to also go against the rules that the doctor put on us. She could easily just stop us in our tracks, shut us off and have us jump off the edge. We need a back up plan if that happens... and guess what? Our mind is being continuously reprogrammed because we are acting out on free will. So no its not impossible its happening right now as we speak.

Feringus has already proven herself in complete control of the situation. I don't want to see your guys' fooling around lead to problems that we shouldn't have to deal with at this point.
You make a solid point. It isnt a issue at the moment. When it does become a issue though, it may be a path we have to take. Lets see what occurs after we talk to the doctor a bit.

And before you accuse me of mindlessly shutting down suggestions, I have already given one my support.

Inform doctor Feringus that you don't approve of her methods. Ask if she would like to hear what you have learned of the oculoids. Also ask her to tell more of these "vibrations" the magic energy stuff reacts to. I want to know if Feringus knows what the music box would do, preferably without reminding her that we have it.

This is a rational course of action. It's mild-mannered and non-confrontational, which is important because, as I've already said, Feringus can end us with one word.

I agree. This would be the best course of action for the time being.

Long story short, Feringus is a human. We can't reprogram ourselves, we don't even know how to. So... yeah. That's pretty much that.
I dont agree to a ful extent. I think we can trick our programing and work around any issues by convincing ourselves other wise to avoid certain commands by the doctor. But like you said, no reason to go into this since there isnt a point.

Quite frankly, if Retro isn't prepared to make this story have an epic anticlimax due to a horrible mistake we make right now, I will be extremely disappointed.

Agreed.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 168