Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 490234 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Update 14.3
« Reply #1575 on: November 25, 2010, 10:41:03 pm »

I have no issues with a spherical ship being human,
You may not have any issues, but, 1; would it be practical? 2; do you really think most people would build a perfect sphere for a ship? 3; have you ever heard of a perfectly spherical ship, even in fiction, made by humans?

As far as I can tell either the sphere was made by AG's creator's race and that race is unrealistically similar to us(humans) or the sphere isn't made by AG's creator's race at all and they just outfitted it. Because, really, I can't think of a single reason why anyone human would build a spherical ship except to drop it from orbit like a meteor.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:42:56 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1576 on: November 25, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »

Better levitational distribution? Complete with retractable landing gear using the same disappearing lines tech as AG's head panel? Just because it looks cool? Seem about right.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 25, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »

If humanity has levitation technology and the ability to travel to other galaxies, why haven't we seen any other high-tech stuff besides robots and that thing-sphere changing-thingamagig? Where's the high tech walls and floors? Where's the couches that look ridiculously expensive? Why does the only sink around look like your stereotype old sink? Same with the vending machine. Same with the stove and fridge. Same with the lamps. Same with the doors. Why do the computers look like they still use DOS and don't have a touch-interface? Why are the beds around here still crap like most of the beds we have today? You'd think that humanity would've spent some time in other places and not just levitational, universe traveling, and robotic technology.

Plus, if this ship(?) really is human and we really are in another galaxy, why come all the way to this galaxy for this one system when we've already got several hundreds of billions of systems in the Milky Way?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:16:53 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1578 on: November 25, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »

If humanity has levitation technology and the ability to travel to other galaxies, why haven't we seen any other high-tech stuff besides robots and that thing-sphere changing-thingamagig? Where's the high tech walls and floors? Where's the couches that look ridiculously expensive? Why does the only sink around look like your stereotype old sink? Same with the vending machine. Same with the stove and fridge. Same with the lamps. Same with the doors. Why do the computers look like they still use DOS and don't have a touch-interface? Why are the beds around here still crap like most of the beds we have today? You'd think that humanity would've spent some time in other places and not just levitational, universe traveling, and robotic technology.

Plus, if this ship(?) really is human and we really are in another galaxy, why come all the way to this galaxy for this one system when we've already got several hundreds of billions of systems in the Milky Way?
Think. They have robot slaves these could have been a small group of scientists that found the ship and were killed (presumably) some time after their first expedition to the skree place. Enough time to turn a circular room into a docking station seeing their workforce. They presumably don't live here, or they moved in recently. I'd assume It's way up in earth's atmosphere. High enough that life support is needed. They don't seem very rich either.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: November 25, 2010, 11:38:30 pm »

Think. They have robot slaves these could have been a small group of scientists that found the ship and were killed (presumably) some time after their first expedition to the skree place. Enough time to turn a circular room into a docking station seeing their workforce. They presumably don't live here, or they moved in recently. I'd assume It's way up in earth's atmosphere. High enough that life support is needed. They don't seem very rich either.
So you're admitting that the ship isn't human after arguing about it being human and just agreeing with me about it not being human and just being refitted?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: November 25, 2010, 11:55:55 pm »

No time to update again today, much as I'd like to-- I know not too many commands have gone through lately, but hey, busy is busy. What can ya do.

@Retro: Looking back at the stomach tap thing, instead of telling us not to say any variation, couldn't you just use a Deus Ex Machina to do something like fuse AG's abdomen shut?

I certainly could! But I think that would be cheap and kind of silly. I have a well-plotted-out backstory with sets of possible events that could come up based on player actions, and even when I'm faced with a totally unexpected yet plausible direction for the story to go I try to work it in rather than railroading you guys on one straight path (though of course it is necessary every once in a while). So I don't want to say "Well I don't want you to do this right now, so you totally never can until I say so." But you did discover the information before the character did, and while you can direct him, you can't just make information pop into his head. Think of it as akin to watching a horror film - when you know a monster is in the basement but the main character's friend goes down, having no idea what a bloody fate awaits him, and you're thinking "oh man dude you need to turn around why are you even doing that" - would the film be any fun if the friend suddenly went "Oh, there's an eldritch abomination, well let's get in the car and torch the place and drive off and end the movie twenty minutes in"? I would doubt it.

Be patient. The longer the game goes on, the more opportunities there are to uncover shreds of backstory and answer questions. In time I'm sure you'll find a way to get in there and have a look-see.

Unrelated, I dreamed about AG last night.

more specifically, that holo display.

when ag goes to sleep

he dreams about YOU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: November 26, 2010, 12:01:28 am »

when ag goes to sleep

he dreams about YOU
...That's quite creepy, Retro.

Anyway, you mind clarifying a few things so we don't have to keep arguing?
1: Are AG's creators human?
2: Was the orb made by humans?
3: Are we in the Messier 81 galaxy or are we in the Milky Way galaxy?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 26, 2010, 12:09:58 am »

Anyway, you mind clarifying a few things so we don't have to keep arguing?
1: Are AG's creators human?
2: Was the orb made by humans?
3: Are we in the Messier 81 galaxy or are we in the Milky Way galaxy?

Scruffles has multiple personality disorder and every character is one aspect of his fractured psyche battling for control of his mind. The real Scruffles is a blind platypus named Doug who has been confined to a wheelchair his entire life.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: November 26, 2010, 12:16:19 am »

...Thanks, that was real helpful of you.

*Headdesk*

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 26, 2010, 01:08:50 am »

most of the pictures still aren't showing up. it's gotten to the point where I can't even follow what's going on. I tried reloading the page but that didn't do. I'm sorry, but I can't keep reading this like this.

(BTW: I really loved your story and everything. this isn't your fault and you shouldn't go to extreme lengths for me.  :'()
What do you think? Yes? No?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 26, 2010, 01:16:07 am »

most of the pictures still aren't showing up. it's gotten to the point where I can't even follow what's going on. I tried reloading the page but that didn't do. I'm sorry, but I can't keep reading this like this.

(BTW: I really loved your story and everything. this isn't your fault and you shouldn't go to extreme lengths for me.  :'()

Nope, I've been having some issues with this myself, and I hate the idea of readers who can't follow the story. That's it then; time to move to Photobucket (and actually make an account too I guess). I'll replace the updates for Round 14 shortly, and then I'll go back and maybe replace a round twice a week or so until I get all the way back to Round 1 - only in the consolidated updates for the finished rounds, since hell if I'm replacing 700 images twice. Updates will be Photobucket from now on, so hopefully you and others in your boat won't be locked out of the adventure any more.

e- There, Round 14 so far is replaced. The Photobucket images load waaay faster than the Imageshack ones ever did, too. I probably should have made the jump over ages ago. I'll do Round 13 probably some time after the weekend and work backwards from there.

ee- Round 13 is replaced in the consolidated post as well. This goes surprisingly quickly since all images have the same album url tag stuff. I might plausibly be done this within a week.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:04:41 am by Retro »

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: November 26, 2010, 01:36:41 am »

Thank you!!!!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Update 14.4
« Reply #1587 on: November 26, 2010, 07:31:10 am »

see if they follow you.

You move to the side. Their eyes don’t follow you. It’s just a monitor showing an image, not…

You are still pretty creeped out by it nonetheless.

start pushing every button you see.

Nothing seems to work. Though from what you can tell, that doesn’t appear to be due to loss of physical functionality.

Wait for the sphere to begin working again. Once it does...

It doesn’t.

You are not really very comfortable waiting around in here with the, uh… screen. Time to go.

Skree is quite pleased as you descend the ramp. Evidently he was rather bored sitting in one spot that whole time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: November 26, 2010, 09:29:25 am »

I can read everything from this new update just fine. thanks.

let's see. you to sewer room and check in there. the water thing has got to have gone down my now.

EDIT: Oh, and throw the lever too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:02:05 am by Terrahex »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: November 26, 2010, 11:13:20 am »

Okay, I thought this through while I was in bed last night and finished it off today. About our current location and the origination of the sphere.

We are on Earth for anyone who thinks we aren't. What tipped me off? Birds and Trees on this update that look like Birds and Trees here on earth. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't think evolution can or will create the exact same creatures twice unless the condition on two worlds are exactly the same and everything on the two worlds is synchronized exactly the same. The English language and roman numerals suggests that we are human. The type of stuff we've seen so far indicates that we're in a present-day timeline on earth, just with some robots that don't seem to fit... I'll get to them later.

Now, I've noticed that a lot of the stuff around here is old crap compared to the sphere; that's because the sphere isn't human. When I compared the 14.1 update's image to an image of Messier 81, they looked like the same image, just taken from a different angle. And the ship SOMEHOW has a excellent map of a system in Messier 81. Now, let me remind you that Messier 81 is 12 million light-years away. So unless the ship has freakishly powerful telescopes, I believe it comes from that system in Messier 81.

The ship must've been here on Earth for a long time since we haven't found it up until now. Another thing interesting is the rock Stonehenge on top of the mountain, as seen in update 13.12, seems to be extremely strong, thus it must be an artificial construct. Yet another thing interesting is that, in update 13.12 you can notice that the scientists exclaimed that the weather system on this "rock"(they're likely referring to the plateau we're stuck on right now) is "interesting", meaning that something's unnatural with this plateau. The "interesting" weather system is likely caused by some extremely high technology. Something that—seeing as our scientists seem to have present-day technology—is currently not available to humankind. And once again, another thing interesting is the wood-in-magma—it's not physically possible with normal wood, so the wood must have been constructed from the atoms down.

Now, about the robots. Maybe they came along with the spaceship. They're extremely durable, quite intelligent, and not clunky. Meaning that they were made from quite advanced technology. Now, from my constant reminders above, our scientists don't seem to have this level of technology. So the robots must have either been shipped partially built or not build at all along with the ship, or the robots are just there to be cool because Retro wanted them in the story.

And lastly, the oculoids. I'm not entirely sure where they would've come from, but they're not even remotely close to anything found on Earth. My best guess is that they were the alien's pets and they were put in cryrostatis. I don't know why the aliens that came from the sphere didn't use cryrostatis on themselves if they used them on the oculoids. Maybe instead of putting themselves in cryrostatis they tried to survive on ancient earth? I don't know, go ahead and throw your ideas at me.

Well, what do you guys think? Wrong? Partially wrong? Correct? What have you?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:22:21 am by Tarran »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 168