Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 493531 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Hiatus Until Dec 22nd
« Reply #1740 on: December 15, 2010, 11:34:10 am »

in PRACTICE it is. It might not have been inspired by MSPA, but it's still in that (admittedly badly named) format/genre of illustrated suggestion-driven online fiction.

Rather poorly named, I'd say - "MS Paint Fan Adventure" explicitly indicates that only the webcomic umbrella titled MSPA can actually be an adventure in MS Paint (or rather, an illustrated suggestion game), whereas anything else, even if it is an adventure made in MS Paint, is a fan work. To me that's like saying The Maltese Falcon originated film noir, therefore Double Indemnity is a 'fan film noir.' The word 'fan' bothers me in particular, because I'm not doing this as anybody's fan, and I'm not part of the MSPA community (the site, not the genre), which is something else 'MSPFA' indicates. It's my own thing. I couldn't care less if the illustrated suggestion game genre has been widely deemed to be known as a "MS Paint Fan Adventure," regardless of whether MSPA was the originator. It's a ridiculous name and term that I am not going to adhere to, whether or not it becomes popular.

There is a second reason as well, which is: There is a distinct difference between an illustrated suggestion adventure and an illustrated suggestion quest. The distinction is an important one: An adventure game is largely about creating a narrative based on user suggestions (or in some cases not worrying about a narrative and focusing more on comic setpieces), while a quest game is about a pre-established setting, whether or not the players know the details of it, wherein the narrative varies based on user suggestions but is ultimately telling a story. Do not let the game's title fool you - Adventure Guy is a quest, not an adventure.

Jailbreak is a classic example of a setpiece-based adventure. Problem Sleuth was an adventure which constructed a narrative as it went. Homestuck is... kind of a mixed bag. But these MSPA works were not my primary influence; RubyQuest was, which if you know it (and you should really read it if you haven't!) is also a hidden-backstory exploration story about an amnesiac. It is the defining 'quest' which set off a bunch like it over /tg/, and though I haven't yet read too many of them, from what I know they are mostly quests as well. I had very seriously considered running Adventure Guy on /tg/ in fact, but I don't really like or know 4chan, so I went with someplace familiar.

So no, my plans for archiving Adventure Guy does not involve using a pre-established site such as the MSPFA Wiki at all. Odds are I'll find some spare bandwidth somewhere, then set up a very small, simple archive site and keep a link handy to it.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: December 15, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »

I love you Retro. Also, if you need webspace I've got lots.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: December 15, 2010, 06:05:12 pm »

just make sure it doesn't just sit rotting here on the forums. I've seen far to many things do that.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: December 17, 2010, 02:27:35 pm »

Welp, just handed in the last assignment of the year. I am into the holidays and doing AG prep. Thanks for bearing with me, we'll be back soon enough!

Also, if you need webspace I've got lots.

Perhaps! I'm going to see exactly what I want to do with the archiving before I start looking for somewhere.

I love you Retro.

:OOOOOOOOOOOO

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #1744 on: December 17, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

::::OOOOOOOO
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: December 21, 2010, 11:42:53 pm »

I love you Retro. Also, if you need webspace I've got lots.

Ditto.

[creepily]On booooth counts.[/creepily]

Oh, and thanks for the pointer to Ruby, I had no idea.  I love this form, is there anything earlier?  Is there anyone else besides Hussie doing anything of note?

Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Round 15.1
« Reply #1746 on: December 22, 2010, 12:02:33 am »

take memory chip out of robot head(s) and view it/them.

One of them has had its head ripped open and its chip has certainly been either destroyed or taken. The other –

!

This one’s still active! You rush over and pick it up gingerly. It speaks.

HELLO THANK YOU FOR YOUR LEASE OF A BRAND NEW AUXILIARY ROBOT OR AUXBOT. THIS UNIT IS DESIGNEDIGNEDIGNEDIGNED FOR REPETITIVE MANUAL LABOUR. THE PERSONALITY FORMATION PROTOCOL IS SET ON BY DEFAULT. TO DISABLE THIS PROTOCOL AND CUSTOMIZE YOUR UNIT FURTHER PLEASE READ THE ACCOMPANYING MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMANUAL FOR MORE INFORMATION OR CONTACT OUR CUSSSSSSSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT. THIS MESSAGE WILL AUTOMATICALLY REPEAT UNTIL THE PACKAGED MEMORY CHIP IS PLACED INTO THE HEAD OF THE UNIT TO ACTIVATE IT. REPEATING IN 3... 2... 1...

It does not respond to your attempts to engage it in conversation. Its speech is very choppy and static-y. As you can see, the chip has been removed.

...TO DISABLEABLEABLEABLE THIS PROTOCOL HELLO THANK YOU FOR THE HEAD OF THIS UNIT FOR MORE MORE MORE FOR MORE INFORMATION HELLO YOUR BRAND FOR...

It is no longer relaying the message in the proper order.

...HELLO THANK YOU HELLO HELLO HELLO THANK YOU YOU HELLO... LO... LO... LO.................THANK.......YOU...............................

Electricity within its glass skull ceases flickering. The eye-lights go dark.

try to salvage some metal parts

You examine the loose parts scattered around. Aside from the gears, you don’t really recognize it. One of these things has tubes and wiring and stuff all over it. You don’t really want to touch this stuff, but you grab one of the oblong taped-thingies and put it in your bag. It’s pretty full as-is anyways.

REMOVE LABCOAT SO THAT WE DON'T FREAK OUT THE OCULOIDS SO MUCH ANYMORE.

You take off the lab coat, feeling extra-conscious about your silly attempt to be a scientist. You place the coat over the frame of one of the robots.

Theres an arm stuck in the machine right there... TAKE IT

You grab the arm stuck in the busted machine. Patch would probably appreciate this. Actually you feel pretty dumb about giving him your notes when he has no way to flip through everything.

try key on lock.

Nope. Your locker key won’t fit here.

Call Skree back to us and haul ass back to Patch as fast as we can.

Before you can call Skree, he bounces down the walls and onto your head. He is very agitated.

help help do good stop bad help pain bad sleep sleep

He directs you upstairs. The monstrous oculoid is wheezing now, its head lowered. Skree is urging you closer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1747 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:55 am »

Approach the giant occuloid more carefully, making sure your every intent is to help. When you get to it, try to comfort it as much as possible, hug it, stuff like that.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: December 22, 2010, 12:34:26 am »

Try to do what skree wants, skree is smarter than us.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: December 22, 2010, 09:20:59 am »

Just what does Scree want us to do? Euthanize the big oculoid? Heal the big oculoid? Feed the big oculoid? I'm not sure if we could manage ANY of those things. :(

Try to follow Scree's advice.

Commune with the big oculoid I guess?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Round 15.2
« Reply #1750 on: December 22, 2010, 04:19:59 pm »

Approach the giant occuloid more carefully, making sure your every intent is to help.

You approach the beast cautiously. It is still pretty tough to tell what Skree wants. You keep getting a brainful of “pain bad do good help good.” The monster is agitated by your presence, but does not become aggressive as last time.

As you get closer one of the small oculoids dives at you! Waugh!

The other oculoids pile on. You are rapidly becoming immobile. At the same time, Skree’s synesthesis is intensifying.

You are now completely dogpiled… but something else is happening. The oculoids’ sensory communication is becoming stronger.

Try to do what skree wants
Commune with the big oculoid

You are beginning to get the idea… but just to be sure, you struggle across the floor slightly and reach out a hand, barely able to lay it on one of the big oculoid’s tentacles. As you do so, the synesthetic visions dissipate suddenly.

The other oculoids jump off of you and spread out as a powerful black fog begins to obscure your senses.

You are completely ensconced in darkness.

You pick yourself up, wondering what exactly is going on.

A presence is here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:56:26 am by Retro »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: December 22, 2010, 04:25:38 pm »

Greet the presence.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: December 22, 2010, 04:45:44 pm »

Show me what happened Mr. Presence!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: December 22, 2010, 05:37:49 pm »

> Worship presence.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: December 22, 2010, 05:59:09 pm »

Wait to see what happens. Try not to freak out.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 168