Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 168

Author Topic: [ISG] Adventure Guy! - Epilogue  (Read 490078 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Round 15.10
« Reply #1860 on: January 04, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »

Note to self: "The base of a biological creature's head is flat while the base of a mechanical creature's head is curved."
Flat-heads...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Round 15.11
« Reply #1861 on: January 06, 2011, 09:17:32 am »

WIELD SHOVEL

You pick up a shovel. Kind of familiar. You figure at some point you must have used these a lot, not that you can remember now.

If the tree's are close enough, lop off a chunk of it using one of the shovels and put that into our pack.

It’s a little far to reach.

Open Cooler

You find a whole bunch of things! You stuff them all in your nearly-full inventory.

All right, so new junk you’ve picked up include: A small round bottle labelled ‘caern dew,’ a larger, opening-less cylindrical thing labelled ‘M,’ a very small beaker with almost nothing in it labelled ‘X-UNREF.’ and another video cassette tape. You figure you better make a pit stop in the lab later to figure out what all this is/does.

Try to reach into that rat hole next to the missing thing.

You make your way back up through the mines, reuniting with Skree, then head to the spaceship access room and reach your hand in. Nothing over there but rock.

Try to get Scree to realize what you want, and see if he (she?) could squeeze in.

You imply to Skree that he should crawl through and he does so. The little fella is surprisingly maneuverable.

You find him sitting over here.

mention these new developments to Patch.

All right, you’ve done a fair amount of investigating. Time for a check-in with Pa …tch.

Patch is not here. The notes you gave him are scattered everywhere.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Round 15.9
« Reply #1862 on: January 06, 2011, 01:00:28 pm »

I think I now where Patch is :-\

Get into UFO-thingie and watch the tape

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Round 15.9
« Reply #1863 on: January 06, 2011, 01:33:24 pm »

Then mix that recipe in the lab. We do have all the ingredients, right?

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 06, 2011, 04:48:44 pm »

use the thingy that makes the original door (the locked one from the start) to make it close then take that rod out of it.
What do you think? Yes? No?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 06, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »

Examine the scratch-marks on the broken door.

Examine the notes for new additions.

Watch new tape.

Comment on the Doctor's weight.

Take sentience tests.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:01:12 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 07, 2011, 04:55:27 pm »

Comment on the Doctor's weight.

That's cute.  Adventure guy should totally begin a campaign of "according to my robo-sensors, your skin is just *awful*" type remarks to see if we can damage the evil scientist's self-esteem.

Somehow I don't think it will work, but we might as well.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »

why didnt we ask why all octo something was to be eliminated?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:57 am »

Blegh. Updates with video/chip flashbacks always take forever. Hoping to have it up within a day.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 09, 2011, 07:58:56 am »

And now I'm having tablet problems! Augh. Bloody computer.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:48 am »

use the thingy that makes the original door (the locked one from the start) to make it close then take that rod out of it.

Yeah, do this. That seems to be where the power rod went.

Wait, I'm not sure if we can reach that side of the door when it's closed. This place is a maze. I guess we could make some explosives and blow up the rubble.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1871 on: January 09, 2011, 09:53:00 am »

Yeah, do this. That seems to be where the power rod went.

Wait, I'm not sure if we can reach that side of the door when it's closed. This place is a maze. I guess we could make some explosives and blow up the rubble.
Or we could dig through...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Guy! - Round 15.12
« Reply #1872 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:09 pm »

Examine the notes for new additions.

Nope, nothing. Probably was a bad idea to make the armless guy’s job to work with paper.

Examine the scratch-marks on the broken door.

Yup. Those are slashes, all right. Pretty deep ones too. You also notice that the locks in the top of the doorway also appear to still be protruding.

mix that recipe in the lab. We do have all the ingredients, right?

You take the note from the chem lab and underline stuff related to the couple of chemical recipes listed. You also lay out what you have so far: X-UNREF, M, and CAERN DEW. According to the Chem Map on the console, you also have a (dry) hose hooked up to the main input which is supposed to contain CHEMXFEED, and a beaker of FULGMIX in the 'catalyst' input. You ponder what to do with this information.

mobile laboratory in hopes of collecting more.

Extensive testing of the chemical extract proves that it does indeed meet the conditions of a Chemical X. However the small amounts in which we are capable of producing it are… laughable. Additionally, the amount of fulgurite and raw nutrient fluid we must burn up to produce the most insubstantial amount of pure Chemical X is excessive to the point of hyperbole. Our work here is not yet done. When we have refined a process with which we can manufacture our own Chemical X we can return; until then we will not stop.

Our experimentation has produced several interesting results. By inputting pure Chemical X into the intake and mixing it with caern dew, a volatile, highly unstable explosive gel is created. Another product of our testing we are calling the solvent, which has been able to purify the acidic ‘nutrient’ waste that until now we had been simply dumping; this has allowed us to extract more raw Chemical X for fortifying with the fulgurite mixture.

One mixture, which we are dubbing the ‘mutagen,’ has proven not to be an inoculant at all. In fact, it has nearly the opposite effect – it would be better described as an ‘oculant.’ Humourously ironic. Perhaps this is the solution we have been

You pull the locker lever that makes the first door go up and down, but can’t get to the other side while it’s down.

You return to the spaceship and plug in the new cassette tape.

The screen flickers to life.

Les is setting up the piano from Patch’s hideout.

“—believe this actually came in handy? I mean, I mostly just brought it because I figured I’d get some good practice time out here.”

“As if. It took you half a year to even take out the thing.” A giggle.

“Not the point! Not the point!”

“Pres, I had to remind you we still had it in the first place!”

“Let it be officially noted on the record that it was the brilliant mind of one Preston A. Les that had the bright idea to bring his piano in order—”

“Well I’m going to make a note above that saying that it was one Preston Les who responded ‘My what?’ when informed that the piano was still in the ship!” She tries unsuccessfully not to laugh.

“Betrayal at the hands of my own subordinate! The Les-Feringus expedition is undone!” They are both laughing now.

“Les-Feringus? I believe the official title was ‘Feringus-Les,’ you walking ego. And I had better not catch you calling me ‘subordinate’ again. I’m your partner.”

A more subtle smile. “’Course ya are, Cla—”

“—eems the best place we’ve got. I mean, we haven’t found water elsewhere yet. It’s right near the base, but still going to get a lot of sun.”

“Anywhere we put this thing is going to get a lot of sun. Honestly, does it ever get dark here? Hell, or cold? I’m sweating like a leaky faucet here.”

“Come on, we spend most of the time in the caves. This is bearable.”

“Sure, but how… how is this planet not cooked? It’s so close to the damn sun!”

“Right, yet it was still showing a chilled, possibly habitable reading from the scans outside orbit. So something’s keeping it cool despite its proximity, and that’s one of the tell-tale signs. It’s here, Les, it has to be.”

“I’m not arguing that! I’m roasting!”

“Here, I’ll get the bot to plant it already and we’ll head ba—”

Several robots with shovels are standing around the room you woke up in. Les’ voice is speaking.

“—on’t touch anything, you buncha bolts… all right—oh, hell, it’s already running—okay, this is, ah, a room we dug into. There’s… uh, some kind of weird idol with a big head with a line through it, or something, and it’s sitting on this giant slab of rock. There’s… okay, the wall on the far side of the room has drawings on it, or something like that, and there’s what looks like a lightning bolt, a drop of water… some kind of sun? And that head thing aga—oh, it’s an eye! A big singular eye with some kind of line through the pupil. All right. And… below each of the markings on the wall, except the eye, are three smaller circles—medallions?—with the respective marking on them too. I guess we’re going to take a look at the medallion things, and… uh, maybe move this slab? So that’s our next step. …End log, I guess.”

“—ium sounds dumb. ‘Feringium’ is way better. There’s number four, too, I’ll shut them down for the night.”

“‘Feringium’ is terrible! Lesium is an undeniable improvement.”

“But they’re not going to say ‘less-ium,’ they’ll say it ‘leese-ium,’ and you’ll spend the rest of your life trying to correct people.”

“Hey, if that’s the price I have to pay to have the discovery of the millenium named after me, I think I can—”

An oculoid sits on the table, a few mouth-appendages cut off from its face. A needle is beside it. It appears to be a bit loopy; perhaps tranquilized.

“—must be tied to the creatures, though. They only started appearing a little while around when we found that chamber. And you can’t say the eye and idol don’t look just like the creatures’.”

“But what about—what about the weather stuff, though? I mean, the weather’s unusually active on this planet, and the creatures seem to worship it, but they don’t have the intellectual capacity nor the physical ability as far as we can tell to craft something like it or the dolmen. And there’s not a chance the creatures exist in quantities high enough to generate the readings we took. I just don’t know what else we can do.”

“So, what, so we should give up? Call it a day? I didn’t spend the last year of my life to slouch back with my tail between my legs. ‘We got really close, but then we came back’ – that’ll be the quote in the byline. And then a million other teams will come back here and keep searching and they’ll find it and some useless superfluous management schlub will get to name it and everyone will say ‘boy wasn’t it lucky that Ray Woodward happened to be there thank goodness for him and his Woodwardium and— No. I’m not okay with that.”

“But ultimately, wouldn’t that be a good thing in the long run? I mean, obviously not for our careers specifically, but to humanity as a whole—”

“That’s not good enough! We’ve worked too hard for this already. I’ve worked too hard for this.”

“Claire…”

I am not going back with nothing.”

Doctor Feringus. Relax. We’ll keep going, all right? Let’s… let’s take another look at what we’ve observed so far.”

“…All right. All right. Okay. I’m okay. Let’s do that.”

There are some deep, defusing breaths.

“So…” Les begins. “First off is the strange temperature. I mean, it’s hot, but… not nearly as hot as it should be with the proximity to the sun.”

“And our readings showed the planet’s overall temperature to be much cooler on average than we’ve found anywhere here.”

“Right. So we know that somehow some unknown process keeps this planet cool. Second is the weather. Rain, thunderclouds, and lightning brew up out of nowhere. Furthermore, certain sound vibrations – combinations of specific notes in a row repeating endlessly – can trigger these weather reactions.”

“So there’s something in the air that reacts to the vibrations.”

“Not necessarily – the sudden, inclement weather could be caused by changes in temperature as well. But either is a possibility.”

“Wish we’d brought a meteorologist.”

“Want to go back and get one?” Les slyly comments.

Silence.

“Not in a joking mood, huh.”

Silence.

“Well… okay, third thing: the creatures. We can’t figure out where they came from, or who built all this runic stuff related to them.”

“Honestly, I think that’s all tangential.”

“We did find our first traces of Chemical X in one of these things, though.”

“They themselves are important. Their fancy ancient culture I couldn’t care less about.”

“We do have an amount of the chemical, though. And we can increase that in time.”

“Over years, maybe. And even then we’d only have enough to power maybe ten ships. No, we need to find the real source. There’s got to be something we’re missing.”

“Well, we’ve outlined a possibly relationship between the temperature, the weather, and music vibrations. We’ve noticed a correlation between the creatures and the weather, and presumably music vibrations as well. So our next step is to identify a cor—”

“—ere, and when they try and take it, the ceiling will rumble a bit. So it’ll scare them off, and we’ll know more have been trying to get in.”

“The ceiling will rumble? Les, how did you hook this up? Do you really think it’s safe to shake a cave?”

“Relax, they’re instictive creatures. Animalistic. They’ll back off before anything happens, every time.”

“Seems a bit of a crude system. What if we want to take it out?”

“It’s hooked up through the computer, so there’s no—”

“Whatever. I don’t really care how you entertain yourself in yo … are time, so … as you don’t…”

The audio is beginning to cut out. Looks like the last of the power is beginning to fade.

Several oculoids are… what…?

“….eat test … mber se…” you hear. Les’ voice.

There is a very long period of static, penetrated only occasionally by the oculoids’ cries.

The audio has now completely reverted to static. On the screen, Feringus drops some oculoids into the incinerator. She appears unhappy.

You are not sure exactly what is going on here.

Feringus stands between the three giant oculoids, holding a whip.

Chaos.

With that, the screen goes dead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 09, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »

..Yikes. Make some of the explosive gel and use it to clear out that rubble.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 09, 2011, 07:23:44 pm »

..Yikes. Make some of the explosive gel and use it to clear out that rubble.

We've got to figure out what hose is the dry hose first.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 168